Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Song Du Jour

Started by Neil, February 01, 2005, 05:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Right let's have another go at a Song Du Jour thread then, but if it starts getting linked all over the shop I'll have to pull the plug again.

Here's a couple to start with:

Poisoned Electrick Head - Snobs  Smashing tempo changes in this, great stuff.

Nina Hagen - Tiere  - I reeeally love Nina Hagen, in fact I keep meaning to start a thread about her.  She is absolutely hat-stand, her songs are full of really fascinating and unexpected vocal mannerisms, she'll growl and snarl and pop and hiss.

Neville Chamberlain

Oh, OK then.

A track off Apocalicious, the latest album from Alternative Tentacles stalwarts Victim's Family - the world's leading proponents (along with NoMeansNo) of that 'jazzcore' sound (which all the kidz are listening to these days)...

Victim's Family - Automated

Neil, love that Poisoned Electrick Head track! They were a great band...

JesusAndYourBush

Otsuka Ai.  Good choice.  Lately Jpop is almost all I listen to.

Biyuuden - Kaccho ii ze! JAPAN (Yokohama Arena 050129) *
A pretty good live recording.  The single hasn't even been released yet.

* Click the link, you're taken to another page where you scroll down, click "Free" and you're taken to the download page where you have to wait around 30 to 40 seconds for the download link to appear.  A bit tossy I know, but it's free!

Quote from: "Neil"Right let's have another go at a Song Du Jour thread then, but if it starts getting linked all over the shop I'll have to pull the plug again.
Neil, to avoid people linking, use rapidshare.  The max filesize is currently 30,000,000 bytes (it was 25,000,000, before that 20,000,000, they keep raising it).  Note 30,000,000 bytes isnt the same as 30mb - if you miscalculate it lets you upload the whole file before telling you it's too big.  The good thing is with rapidshare you want people to steal your links, as the file stays online as long as it's being downloaded - if it's inactive for something like a month the file gets taken down.

Also it's against their rules to get around the max filesize by splitting a file in 2, so if for example you upload 2 files that have a long name with the only difference being one is part 1 and the other is part 2 you'll probably fall foul of the rules.  Just make sure the filenames aren't too similar.  They also only allow you to download or upload 30mb per hour.

As long as you follow their rules it's pretty good for a freebie.

SurferGhost

Quote from: "Neil"Poisoned Electrick Head - Snobs  
Smashing tempo changes in this, great stuff.
Oooh ta, I've not never heard none of theirs before, and you know me and my Bonzos references...

...hey that's rather kewl, not what I'd been led to expect at all!

peet

Welcome back!
KT Tunstall - Under the Weather
Thanks whoever it was that uploaded that clip of her on Jools Holland's show, here it is for the avi-impaired: KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

Dr David V

I spent about 10 minutes looking at the title of this thinking "Who's SDJ?". Then I thought about clicking it. Hm. Anyway...

Public Image Ltd - This Is Not A Love Song

Rats

I like the little dribble of posters this thread is getting so far, gives me a chance to check out all the songs without having to just pick one out of a hundred.

Bobby Conn - the sportsman

The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Bigtime

Swedish loveliness that goes rock at about 2.40. The bassline makes me feel funny.

falafel

I have no idea where these three came from, but I like them.

Clarence Carter - Patches - Cheerfully sung tale of a hard-done-by ghetto child.

Mongo Santamaria - Louie Louie - Latin, Bebé!

Sarvjeet Kaur - Boliyan - Indian, naturally. Sounds live until you realise it's all loops and audiofuckery. Amazingly pulled off, but very noisy. Reminds me of 'Get Ur Freak On', in a funny ole way.

chand

Was listening to this again earlier, I fucking love this song. Classic em-singing funk-rock from Lyrics Born and German funk band The Poets Of Rhythm. How can you not love a song with the chorus 'I'd even say I can't completely blame my naïveté cos there were situations, in retrospect, where the things you'd say would shift direction when put into action' and make it catchy?

Lyrics Born & The Poets Of Rhythm - 'I Changed My Mind'

non capisco

I love Lyrics Born too. His drawled thinking-out-loud delivery on 'Balcony Beach' is just perfect.

JesusAndYourBush

Heike Michiyo - Shiawase no Uta
(I uploaded this song elsewhere a few weeks ago, but as downloads keep the links alive, the more the merrier).

Neil

Quote from: "falafel"Mongo Santamaria - Louie Louie - Latin, Bebé!

Oh, nice one!  "Louie, Louie" is one of my favourite ever songs and I love hearing all the covers, not to mention the rip-offs that have been done of it over the years (Wild Thing, Smells Like Teen Spirit etc.)  

Anyway, have this: Janice Nichols - Oi'll Give It Foive

There's a good story behind that record.

swinny

chand

From the forthcoming Out Hud album, this is probably my favourite track. 8 minutes of post-funk-punk-whatever which builds pleasingly.

Out Hud - 'The Song So Good They Named It Thrice'

The new Daedelus record is fantastic, loads of great instrumentals and guest appearances in a whole range of styles. Somewhat predictably though I chose the track with DOOM on it, he drops some nice verses over a sweepy string hook:

Daedelus feat. MF DOOM - 'Impending Doom'

RFT

Quote from: "chand"How can you not love a song with the chorus 'I'd even say I can't completely blame my naïveté cos there were situations, in retrospect, where the things you'd say would shift direction when put into action'

Thank you. Seriously.

That line has been bugging me for 4 sodding years, ever since I came across the song when a mate showed me the video on a tape he had of a late-night channel 4 thing about CGI stuff. This is pretty much the song that got me into hip-hop, as I bought "Spectrum" off the back of it, not realising that "quannum" was a label, not the band performing the song.

JesusAndYourBush

BetaKarraTene

Yet more loveliness from Editors , very much in an Interpol style, sounding like they're getting better all the time. Looking forward to what else they come up with.
Editors - Munich (XFM Session)

A band who are gathering a large following from their crazy gigs.  British Sea Power fans might enjoy this.
Mystery Jets - On My Feet EP

If you like this one then the equally gorgeous album is only £8 in most shops. If you don't like it then your ears are broken.
The Radio Dept - Bus

chand

The Rakes - The Guilt

Real stream of a gig in Amsterdam

I love these guys. Catch them live if you can; they put on a great show. New single out in March. :-)

clareQuilty

The Pscyhedelic Furs- All That Money Wants:
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/574517/The_psychedelic_furs_-_All_that_money_wants.mp3.html

This is  a nicely jangly  shimmering little song from the band known  primarily for the theme song to 'pretty in pink'.

Treat Her Right- I think she likes me:
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/574584/01_I_Think_She_Likes_Me.mp3.html

This is a song from Mark Sandman (late lead singer of sleazy low-fi jazz band
Morphine) and his first group 'treat her right'. It's more straight-up bar room blues
than the stuff he did later on with Morphine but no less interesting for that.