Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Disenchantment', new Matt Groening series on Netflix

Started by samadriel, May 24, 2018, 09:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Ornlu on August 29, 2018, 04:48:32 PM
But it really is just astoundingly clunky. I counted seconds-long beats of silence which just didn't need to be there. It's least good when it's just trying to be Rick and Morty.

Yeah, there's a lot of air inbetween the action, and I Guess fewer frames of animation per second, but mostly it's good stuff. Something that can be worked out. In Series 2

Twed

It was jarring at first, but now I really love the pacing.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: magval on August 29, 2018, 03:50:26 PM
Would like to apologise for the way I phrased this. I regret saying "wise up". Fell into a trap of expressing myself like a dickhead on the Internet and feel rather foolish. Soz checkoutgirl.

Wow, was not expecting that. Most people just suggest I'm a knob and leave it at that. Thanks very much.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mister Six on August 29, 2018, 03:10:24 PM
and Elfo's line about liking war but not really loving it has stayed with me.

Fuck me if that war scene a wasn't brilliant set piece, I mean visually. Out of the blue too. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it, the visual gags were just a feast at times.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on August 29, 2018, 05:12:59 PM
Yeah. There's a bit in the fourth episode where the herald says "Don't shoot the messenger... Again." And turns around to reveal a load of arrows in his back. It's a crap joke as is, but they bothered to animate a second or two of him walking away before cutting back to the other characters. Why?

Those two seconds of him walking were a metaphor for the futility of life.  Duh.

madhair60

Not sure why everyone is so down on this. The first episode wasn't great but from then on its been a great laugh.

Consignia

I've watched the first couple of episodes of this, and it's not bad. Really wasn't expecting much but it's quite enjoyable. Sadly not too many laughs though, and the little demon thing can fuck off with his tedious "I'm really evil shtick and I'm going to mention it in every line I say".

But yeah a pleasant surprise. Will finish.

Consignia

Yep finished this, and enjoyed it alot. It's essentially Futurama but with a slightly different setting. A lot of the jokes fall flat, but there's so many of them it's not a problem, since the ones that do hit are great. Looking forward to more of it.

Not sure were all the shit about it's coming from.

Thursday

The next series of this has launched without much fanfare, Perhaps the Groening connections with Epstein made them want to do it a little more quietly.

I've watched the first 3 episodes, as someone who wasn't particularly into the first series I've enjoyed them a lot more than I was expecting. Helps that the story has at least been compelling enough to pull me along, but the hit rate of the jokes seem to be better too.

Is anyone else bothered?

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on September 23, 2019, 06:35:13 PM
The next series of this has launched without much fanfare, Perhaps the Groening connections with Epstein made them want to do it a little more quietly.

I've watched the first 3 episodes, as someone who wasn't particularly into the first series I've enjoyed them a lot more than I was expecting. Helps that the story has at least been compelling enough to pull me along, but the hit rate of the jokes seem to be better too.

Is anyone else bothered?

I've also given this a whirl. Not massively bothered about it, but I agree the gags are better and the story is more compelling (not hard to beat the first season). I'll probably watch the whole season, but I don't think it's a particularly good show.

Twed

Consignia

I've watched the first couple of episodes, and it's pretty decent so far. The King's my favourite character, and it's pretty good he's still kicking around for loads of gags. I'd rather there was less story and more comedy though, as it's not hugely compelling and it gets in the way.

I remember treating the first series with a huge degree of cynicism going in, but it did warm to me. And I'm certainly happy there's more. But who knows if there's going to be more after that with Mr. Stinky Feet at the helm.

NoSleep

Given the theme of the show, I wonder if GoT going out on a downer has affected the enthusiasm to carry on in this style. I note that they have introduced
Spoiler alert
a steampunk culture into the mix and wonder if they'll let this unfold further down the line.
[close]

Sin Agog

Rewatching the first series before I wade into this, as it's fallen victim to Netflix Amnesia.

It is a little funnier than I remembered.

"I'm drowning!"

"I'm Elfo."

It's all a bit ambient, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Alberon

Quote from: Thursday on September 23, 2019, 06:35:13 PM

Is anyone else bothered?

I didn't care much for the series in the beginning, but as it started to grow beyond stand alone episodes it started to get more interesting.

This is technically the second half of the first season, I haven't watched it yet, but I'll get to it soon.

olliebean

This is really showing up what a crap actor Matt Berry is.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Watched the first set of episodes when they originally aired and just seen the first of the newly released episodes.

Meh. Still got the odd, empty atmosphere and sparse jokes with no real standout moments.

Thursday

I'm not even sure how intentional it was, but the first episode has this creepy quietness to it - Bean all alone in a strange decaying place with evil people that are manipulating her. Thought it worked really well, but it might have just been that it was quiet because you didn't have Luci and Elfo's constant chatter.

Consignia

And the king in his empty kingdom. Until Matt Berry turns up to everything like he always does.

NoSleep

Consignia

Quote from: Consignia on September 23, 2019, 09:57:52 PM
Until Matt Berry turns up to everything like he always does.

How the hell did I miss "ruin" of that sentence.

Twed

Consignia

Sin Agog

Just read about the Epstein slave girl Groening toenail sponge wash thing, and now I don't think I want to finish this.  That bloody Epstein, he ruins everything.

Thursday

Matt Groening rarely has that much to do with the shows he creates, if it helps.

steveh

There's something odd about this show. The ingredients should all be there but it just never catches fire. It's like it has a showrunner who is distracted by other things and not really giving it the attention it needs to make it into something consistently good while the writers aren't really sure where it's going and have differing views on what it should be.

Ferris

Quote from: steveh on September 30, 2019, 04:20:36 PM
There's something odd about this show. The ingredients should all be there but it just never catches fire. It's like it has a showrunner who is distracted by other things and not really giving it the attention it needs to make it into something consistently good while the writers aren't really sure where it's going and have differing views on what it should be.

Yeah I agree with this. It seems to suffer from having too many writers so there's no clear voice, and characterization is sacrificed for any weak one-liner they came up with. It's halfway between latter day Futurama (decent on the whole) and latter day Simpsons (godawful).

In terms of arc and story, it feels closer to Futurama but it never really lands. I should say the voice actors are all very good, and some of the artwork is lovely. Maybe it's the hackneyed sub-Simpsons character design that makes it all feel stale and unloved. I don't know.

Not bothered to watch the back half of this season since I last posted in here.

Thursday

I wish nobody had ever shown Matt Groening The Mighty Boosh... or anything Matt Berry is involved in.

Thursday

Anyway I feel after an interesting start it got less interesting when it went back to the sitcom format of different adventure every week, but things are back to normal by the end of the episode.

It's not even that there's an arc that's that amazing or anything, it's just the most interesting thing that it's doing.

I've a strong feeling that this isn't going to get renewed now anyway, since Netflix is cancelling more popular, less problematic shows than this, and whatever they had planned won't be resolved, but it's probably more interesting that way.

Unless it's actually far more popular than my twitter feed would have me believe. BUT SURELY THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE?!