Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Detroit Become Human

Started by Bhazor, May 24, 2018, 06:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

Sure there's been a thread about this but I couldn't find it.

So this is out tomorrow what are people hoping for. Personally I can't wait, hoping it going to be a complete car crash like Two Souls was. But I'd also settle for it being good. Reviews are currently glowing but so were the reviews for Heavy Rain.

I'm interested how rapey he'll get with an all robot cast.

Never played a single one of these shit house concoctions.

bgmnts

Reviews (Eurogamer i think) are saying clumsy attempt and that the politics are heavy handed.

Just sounds like another abysmal David Cage game.

falafel

It's weird but i kind of hope it fails and the studio goes under. So much talent goes into these things, that deserves to be applied to better work.  I wish no ill on the developers but Cage just has no idea about WHY we tell stories. He's like the bad Cage brother from Adaptation.

falafel

Fuck, CAGE. It all makes sense now.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: falafel on May 24, 2018, 07:53:54 PM
It's weird but i kind of hope it fails and the studio goes under. So much talent goes into these things, that deserves to be applied to better work.  I wish no ill on the developers but Cage just has no idea about WHY we tell stories. He's like the bad Cage brother from Adaptation.
Quite so. I did buy Fahrenheit on a whim for maybe a tenner years ago and could kind of see what he was going for, though the whole thing went so stupid plot-wise that I couldn't take it that seriously.

Heavy Rain (£10 second hand again) was a bit of an improvement, as in at least there were a few different ways of getting to the ending. Bit of a desperate attempt at a Shyamalan-esque twist.

Two Souls was on PS+ this month, so I'm slowly progressing through it. Again, it's OK. The thing is, I can never be arsed with that quick-time bollocks. I'd rather have a puzzle or suchlike. But, again, at least it doesn't *feel* like it's totally on rails.

Which brings us this Detroit - downloaded the demo, but I seriously doubt I'll pony up more than a tenner for it either.

falafel

Yep. Enjoyed Heavy Rain for its gimmickry to the extent that I played it again with my other half - but it was comprised of half-arsed
incoherent genre movie tropes stitched together with an almost Lynchian level of alienation, without any of the self-awareness.

People must have seen his previous work and still chosen to work on this, so I have relatively little sympathy, and at least they have shipped something. But, man. The trailer for 2 souls where ELLEN fucking PAGE is involved in a scene that involves BOTH lines 'You don't talk much, do you?' and (slowly, spookily) 'They're here' just made me want to crawl put of my skin. What the ever-loving fuck does this guy think he's doing, and why doesn't anyone ever sit him down and say 'you deal with the mechanics, we'll handle the narrative and script'?

The Culture Bunker

You do get the impression he would much rather be making films - but the problem may be that he's nowhere near as good at storytelling as he perhaps thinks he is. But presumably his games bring the cash in if he keeps getting to make more.

Bhazor

Honestly I think Quantic Dream is kept afloat by Sony just for their tech. Their games have always looked fantastic and I'm sure their work has found its way into a dozen Sony games and films.

Here's Digital Foundry drooling all over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8zVDaSpJlw

I'm just waiting for the Adumplaze video of it.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 24, 2018, 09:20:43 PM
You do get the impression he would much rather be making films - but the problem may be that he's nowhere near as good at storytelling as he perhaps thinks he is. But presumably his games bring the cash in if he keeps getting to make more.

All his games have absolutely abysmal stories.

St_Eddie

I liked Beyond: Two Souls.  Story and all.  Sue me.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I wonder how Cage will crowbar an inappropriate, misjudged and awkward sex scene into this new game!

Mister Six

Has anyone played this? I'm looking for something vaguely like Until Dawn for me and the missus to play together - she's all right with limited motion and QTEs but is fucked when it comes to proper action, especially if it requires using a second stick to adjust the camera.

The demo seems all right but she won't have truck with any of the  perving seen in Heavy Rain. Any of that here?

Bhazor

Aparently theres no sex scenes, sadly. By the sounds of it all his mad bullshit has been toned down and the general consensus seems to be the writing is boring and predictable rather than tasteless and insane.

Shame.

DangledTeeth

I got it yesterday. I've played as each of the three androids (one scenario for each) and don't feel I've played enough to wholly judge it as I imagine what I've played are three tutorial/warm-up stages.

So far, it's a nice-looking game and plays in the same way as Heavy Rain. I thought there was only one set camera angle at first to begin with, but after pressing R1 it turns out there's another angle from the opposite side - I can't remember if there were any on-screen commands for this, I just found out by wrongly pressing the button.

The couple of dramatic scenes I saw came across as tacked-on and were rapidly conclusive.

biggytitbo

I really like this, feels like a finely honed version of the cage formula with good writing and characters. Best ever facial animation and really good voice acting throughout sell the hackneyed androids as slavery metaphor premise. It actually nails the thing he's always tried to do, put you in difficult situations and make you face the consequences of your decisions.

I can get why some people might find it boring though, early on it does make you do housework and chores, but the environments are so gorgeous I don't mind wandering around looking at stuff. Some great nightmare fuel too, the android graveyard and the freaky experiments 

biggytitbo

I ended up with close to the worst possible ending I think, although at least not everyone is dead.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 28, 2019, 08:15:04 PM
I ended up with close to the worst possible ending I think, although at least not everyone is dead.

Shouldn't have voted UKIP then.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mister Six on May 27, 2018, 11:45:24 PM
she's all right with limited motion and QTEs

I bet she is, you bad sod

biggytitbo

I almost wish I hadn't replayed this game trying to get a better outcome. If you end up in the 'recycling' path fucking hell it's brutal. It's actually genuinely horrible, I can't imagine most games would take it this far but they did.

tourism

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 25, 2019, 07:25:16 PM
good writing and characters. Best ever facial animation and really good voice acting

lol does it fuck

biggytitbo

Quote from: tourism on June 02, 2019, 01:03:39 PM
lol does it fuck

What game has better facial animation than this? Uncharted 4 maybe but I thought this was better. That said the standard is so high the occasional weird mouth does stick out like a sore thumb.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 02, 2019, 07:06:48 PM
What game has better facial animation than this?

L.A. Noire.

Although I suspect that tourism's comment may have been more in reference to the claim of "good writing and characters".

biggytitbo

Well relatively speaking obviously, it's not the Godfather. It just succeeds in what it is trying to do, imo and part of what sells it is the excellent acting and facial animations.

LA Noire was good for 2011, but you look at it now and the faces look freaky. Isn't it actual video overlayed onto the 3d models too?

Mister Six

No, the faces are 3D mocapped models. Unfortunately everything else is hand-animated, which is why there's a weird uncanny valley/disconnect between the absurdly good facial work and everything else.

From what I hear the whole thing was basically just an advert for the mocapped software created by Team Bondi anyway, and if it wasn't for Rockstar intervening and cracking the whip, the game would have been a total shitfest.

On the plus side it led to this: https://youtu.be/P-bXgLvwEHo

Harpo Speaks

I thought what they did with the menu screen android was a really cool touch.

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on June 02, 2019, 09:34:58 PM
No, the faces are 3D mocapped models. Unfortunately everything else is hand-animated, which is why there's a weird uncanny valley/disconnect between the absurdly good facial work and everything else.
I believe they both mo-capped body movements and mo-scanned facial movements, but separately, where they could.

And the latter seems quite limited, so there's a disconnect not just between head/body but face/rest-of-head. Hideous.

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 02, 2019, 08:38:03 PM
It just succeeds in what it is trying to do
Oh well.

Mister Six

Quote from: Zetetic on June 02, 2019, 09:42:19 PM
I believe they both mo-capped body movements and mo-scanned facial movements, but separately, where they could.

And the latter seems quite limited, so there's a disconnect not just between head/body but face/rest-of-head. Hideous.

Definitely separately, but at least some of the animations (maybe just minor characters?) were hand-animated. I heard that some (well, at least one) of the characters had one of those weird, heaving shoulders idle animations that you see in games (where it looks like the character has just finished running and is out of breath) which, coupled with the realistic face, was horrifying.

tourism

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 02, 2019, 08:03:34 PM
L.A. Noire.

Although I suspect that tourism's comment may have been more in reference to the claim of "good writing and characters".

Yeah. I don't remember the face capture being too jarring/bad, but in fairness most of the characters were androids or Clancy Brown stars in robot 48 hours. Some glitchy expressions would've been a welcome distraction from the very Cagean writing and characters.