Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Battlefield V - or, women in videogames, how far is too far?

Started by Fry, May 24, 2018, 08:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Josef K on November 22, 2018, 03:19:21 PM
Anyone here been playing this?

I put hundreds of hours into BF1 and I can see myself doing even more with this. The gunplay feels incredible and the building mechanic adds a lot of dynamism to the battles. It's a bit light on content with only 8 maps but they're all excellent and another one drops on Dec 4.
A few people seem to be having bad experiences with bugs but I guess I've just been lucky as it feels like the most polished launch since 2.

It also runs *really* well on my ageing 2600k and 8gb Ram that I bought for BF 3

I also am still rocking my 2600k@4.7GHz, with 16GB - that I also bought for BF3. Upgraded to a 970 a couple years ago, but really BFV is the first game that I properly feel CPU-bound with. I get a steadyish 60 fps in most cases, but getting some dips that I'm not too happy with. Am used to 80-90fps. I think a 6/12 core processor is gonna be needed soonish.

Anyways, really enjoying the game after not digging BF1 that much. Or actually, in the past 2-3 months I got back into BF1 after all the DLC and updates came out, but I still only put around 400 hours into the game. Both BF3 and BF4 were 1000+. A ton of hours were put into BF2142 and BF:BC2, too.

Bazooka

Battlefield 2 I played at least 2mill hours, 1 million of that was suicide quad biking.

I've only been playing the trial via EA Access, locks after ten hours, but I reckon I'll pick this up when it's cheap on XB. Seems to have fuckin tanked so far, price was slashed on PSN a few days ago, almost 50% off or something. That's very very early for such a big name title. It's a good un, too. Quite pretty at times, which is nice, because I found BF1 all a bit depressing. The Grate War is more like it, I would say!

Josef K

It's a shame it doesn't seem to be selling that well as it's incredible. Wonder how much of it is down to EA releasing without certain game modes and how much of it is down to the pissy children complaining about women in their man simulator.

This is a stunning game. It's a shame it's tanking (pun intended) because I'm having more fun with it than I ever did with BF1 which I found intense but a bit depressing and limited. I'm really enjoying the absurdly long range sniping game but the gunplay in general feels superb. Just a shame the SJWs got their hands on it, really.

Lemming

It does look good, but fucking hell the price, same as most games these days. I'll have to get it in a few months, when all remaining players are fucking pros and one-shot-kill me from across the map.

monolith

Did people go apeshit over Tanya in Red Alert? Technically it was an alternative World War 2 but it was essentially World War 2 with different bad guys.

Can't remember any fuss over a woman being pretty much the best unit or at least one of the best units in a war game and this was 20+ years ago.

Lemming

Nobody cared that you play as a French woman named Manon in Medal of Honor: Underground, either, who singlehandedly takes out about a dozen Tiger tanks, among other mad shit. That was back in 2000.

Also don't remember anyone freaking about the several female soldiers in the Russian missions of Call of Duty 2.

Broadening the scope from WW2 a little, there's a ton of games from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s where the protagonist is (or can be chosen to be) female, non-white, gay or all three, which would no doubt make people flip their fucking shit these days.

It's like a select few self-proclaimed Star Trek fans getting absolutely furious over the presence of a black woman on the bridge in Star Trek: Discovery, despite the fact that TOS had a black woman on the bridge over 50 fucking years ago. The climate today is somehow simultaneously much more and much less hostile to anything deemed "progressive" in media.

Ohhhhhh come onnnnnnnn nobody gives a fuck about this hot take bollocks. Come on. Fucks sake. I'll start a new thread for the actual game and leave this ResetERA shit to run out of steam.

Lemming

You'll be stuck with NO REPLIES, because the game is 60 fucking quid and nobody has a copy.

Sadly the hot take bollocks has overshadowed this whole game and defined the discussion around it, no escape. We can't have WW2-based fun without addressing it, thanks to online reactionaries.

Sorry to be so brusque, I'm just sick of all this shit. Not your fault (unless you're responsible for it all, I don't know). It's 30 quid in both PSN and Xbox store sales from today.

Thursday

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 21, 2018, 04:49:11 PM
Sorry to be so brusque, I'm just sick of all this shit. Not your fault (unless you're responsible for it all, I don't know). It's 30 quid in both PSN and Xbox store sales from today.

Well to be fair, you were the one who said

Just a shame the SJWs got their hands on it, really.

Which is like waving a red rag around, I assume it was a joke. but you did bring this on yourself

Only a true libtard would even question whether that was a joke. But yeah, it's a fair point. My fault.