Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls Remastered

Started by The Boston Crab, May 25, 2018, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Basically, the exact same game. Suits me. I got up at 5 to play it. Sat round Firelink Shrine just soaking it up.

Anyone going in for the first time?

I can't believe this actually exists.

Swoz_MK

Ah. The best game ever.
Might wait til I've got my Switch before picking it up. My favourite addition is being able to pop more than one Humanity at once.

biggytitbo

I might play it to see what the fuss is, but why is it supposed to be so good? It doesn't look that special from the gameplay footage.

bgmnts

Why the fuck would you pay for the exact same game?

The proper nerds apparently complaining about this game. Doesnt bother me I found Dark Souls tedious but this seems like a bit of a cash grab

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 25, 2018, 10:14:59 AM
I might play it to see what the fuss is, but why is it supposed to be so good? It doesn't look that special from the gameplay footage.

I've told you about five hundred times. It's probably not for you, with all due respect.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 25, 2018, 10:14:59 AM

The gimmick is its very hard.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 25, 2018, 10:59:55 AM
I've told you about five hundred times. It's probably not for you, with all due respect.

I dunno, it is the *sort* of game I like, apart from the cod-medieval setting, I just don't see anything special about it from gameplay vids. I guess I just need to try it.

Kelvin

Is the appeal the same as something like Monster Hunter, where you're putting up with unweildy combat and movement, because of the satisfaction of taking down these huge, seemingly insummountable bosses? That's all people ever talk about with Dark Souls - how difficult it is - so it's very hard to know whether there's more to it than that, or whether, like Monster Hunter, it's the sense of accomplishment that keeps you coming back for more.

I love Monster Hunter, but Dark Souls gets far more praise than those games did, historically*.

Why is that?

*World being the exception.

Obel

The appeal is it's a challenging game, not a hard game. It's hard at first because you're not used to action games having a sense of weight about the weapons. Most games you can just tirelessly hack and slash, but you have stamina in DS that you need to keep an eye on. Every enemy is dangerous in some way if not approached correctly, you need to analyse their moves and react accordingly. This goes especially with bosses which are very hard at first, but once you have figured out their tells and are patient, you can tackle anything. People who find DS games hard are those that like to run headlong into scenarios swinging a sword wildly, this does not work in DS. The controls are unwieldy, but very intentionally so. It's tuned to perfection. If you die it's your fault, not because the game cheated you.

Aside from the actual gameplay you have the wonderful worlds these games build. They're massive, the areas interconnected and incredibly creative. I'm usually really bored by fantasy settings but the dark, sorrowful worlds of the DS games are masterfully put together, drip feeding you information about the universe through many different ways. there is dialogue from characters but it's mostly oblique and hard to get to grips with what is going on - you find out most about the world through item descriptions and even loading screens. If you're paying attention you learn a great deal about the world you're in. Enemies aren't just randomly dropped in, they're carefully placed in areas they would logically hang out in the world that is before you.

If you're the kind of gamer that likes games to show you where to go via waypoints and other HUD elements then you will hate DS. DS wants you to explore, learn and keep trying. It wants you to feel that satisfaction of actually improving your skill level and overcome obstacles. And if you struggle there is the unique multiplayer element of being able to summon people in from their game worlds, appearing as phantoms that exist only to help you with the current obstacle, with no way to communicate other than gestures. Essentially cutting out cretinous dickheads screaming nonsense over the mic. You actually build these nice temporary bonds with these temporal, anonymous allies through waves and bowing.

There's more to it, but Dark Souls is wonderful for patient people. Give it a go, if you don't like it then it's simply not for you. Because obviously there's something wrong in your brain.

Kryton

Great game but I'm not buying it again without any new features.

Barry Admin

It handles risk and reward better than any other game, which gives the exploration a far greater sense of trepidation and excitement. The combat system is very deep. The story-telling requires effort from the user to get the most from it. There's a great sense of achievement and accomplishment when you overcome bosses or particularly challenging areas.

bgmnts

The problem with the open exploration and freedom to go wherever you want is that most of the world and lore and characters are incredibly fucking dull and tedious to me.

And of course if you can get through the Blighttown section without ripping out your pubic hairs then you're a better man than I.

Cuellar

Played 2 and 3, is the first that much better?

Obel

Three is probably the best in terms of gameplay. I think 1 is the most inspired, for the first 2/3rds of the game anyway. But a lot of that might be down to it being my first Dark Souls game.

brat-sampson

I already own the PC version, which was mixed and improved by modders to the point that I'd be shocked if this remaster isn't essentially pointless on PC, but for console owners or later on the Switch, this should be excellent. It's Dark Souls, but better.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2018, 02:03:04 PM
The problem with the open exploration and freedom to go wherever you want is that most of the world and lore and characters are incredibly fucking dull and tedious to me.

And of course if you can get through the Blighttown section without ripping out your pubic hairs then you're a better man than I.

You should get ECT

shh

I wonder if it still lets you get hit through walls, like in every game from Demon Souls onwards.

All bugs present and correct, yep.

Quote from: Cuellar on May 25, 2018, 02:05:05 PM
Played 2 and 3, is the first that much better?

I love them all but the first game does some stuff with world design that no game has equalled. It's also thematically, conceptually incredibly elegant, again on an unparalleled level. It wasn't intended to have sequels and even accounting for some unfinished and rushed areas in the third quarter of the game, it's a masterpiece of singular game design, themes, mechanics and world building. The sequels are some of my favourite games ever made but they don't need to exist. Dark Souls does.

It's best experienced without a guide or spoilers if you do fancy it and there will never be so many players online as in the next couple of months.

Fuckin game wow. Best game experience of the year. Wow

biggytitbo

I can't get past the asylum demon about 3 minutes into the game.

biggytitbo

My little man runs like he's shit himself, no wonder the game is so hard.

falafel

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 28, 2018, 06:57:10 PM
Fuckin game wow. Best game experience of the year. Wow

A perfected experience or just amazing because it's the same again?

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 28, 2018, 09:08:10 PM
I can't get past the asylum demon about 3 minutes into the game.

Good on you, biggy lad. What format you playing on? If you ever need any help with any bosses or anything, let me know and I'll join you.

Quote from: falafel on May 28, 2018, 10:06:17 PM
A perfected experience or just amazing because it's the same again?

Almost identical. Most of the textures still look shite, and it's retained that gauzy Vaseline 720p vibe. Thank God.

Just with loads and loads of people playing. It's far closer to the original than I expected it to look, and they've touched almost nothing besides some minor QoL stuff. Better lighting is the main difference. I'm delighted at how similar it is. 60fps, though, and rock solid in Blighttown and New Londo, which is quite a weird sensation.

Twed

Does it have roguelike elements? For some reason I thought Dark Souls had permadeath or something that separated it from Skyrim on hard mode but none of you haven't mentioned it.

brat-sampson

No, not really. If anything it's the opposite. You lose all your souls (currency/unbanked Experience) upon death, and have one chance to reclaim them, but any items you pick up, bosses you kill, doors you unlock etc will be permanently retained even after death. The game never resets anything other than dropping souls and respawning enemies. That does mean if you don't make it to a new resting point you lose your forward progress since the last one, but as said, items etc remain collected, so maybe you don't have to bother returning to that side-corridor or beating that tough enemy again, because there's nothing there anymore.

No, no. As you beat enemies, you acquire souls which you can use to level up or buy shit. If you die, you lose everything but also leave a bloodstain where you died. If you get back to it without dying, you get your shit back. If you die again, it's gone forever. Makes for an amazing tension and risk reward stuff when you're in an unfamiliar area, or anywhere challenging. It feels great to recover your Souls and feels awful to lose them for good.

Edit: beaten by brat but nevertheless