Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls Remastered

Started by The Boston Crab, May 25, 2018, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 28, 2018, 11:12:53 PM
No, no. As you beat enemies, you acquire souls which you can use to level up or buy shit. If you die, you lose everything but also leave a bloodstain where you died. If you get back to it without dying, you get your shit back. If you die again, it's gone forever. Makes for an amazing tension and risk reward stuff when you're in an unfamiliar area, or anywhere challenging. It feels great to recover your Souls and feels awful to lose them for good.

And so begins the multi-faceted game design.

Because whilst you're frantically searching for your blood-stain in a sludge-filled sewer or precarious cliff, you're suddenly getting the message 'DARK SPIRIT STABBY MCFUCK' has invaded.

Great fun.

I started writing a reply to Kelvin explaining what it is and why it's different things to different people and ended up having to save it to return to another time. It's a colossal achievement in so many ways.

Mobius

I picked up Yakuza instead  of this and sort of regret it so if you could return to the below post within the next 5 days I will still be able to get a full refund cheers pal.

biggytitbo

Feels and looks like a late era PS2 or early PS3 game so far, very bland 'world'. Will stick with it a while though to give it a chance.

Yeah, I'm glad they kept the feel of the original, it doesn't even feel like they've changed the textures. This is exactly what I wanted. No concessions to scum or young people.

I wonder where you're up to, biggy?

I kind of understand what you mean about the blandness but there's actually enormous variety to come. Personally, aside from a couple of very notable areas you'll come to, the Undead Burg and Firelink Shrine are my favourite. I love the washed out, Vaseline smeared, bleu-marine and algae-hued world. It feels truly decrepit, the very end of an era.

In terms of 'the world', it's probably the best ever designed, you just don't know it yet.

Kryton

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 29, 2018, 08:15:12 AM
Feels and looks like a late era PS2 or early PS3 game so far, very bland 'world'. Will stick with it a while though to give it a chance.

Maybe it's just not for you. It's quite hard to explain what the appeal is and I guess it means different things to different people. For myself, I love the idea worlds overlap slightly, you get little glimpses of other players struggling through the level. The invasion system is great and has varied mechanics. The lore is subtle. The PVP is brilliant. And although the game is tough, it's not unfair.

But maybe the game has had it's day now? (Although I doubt this due to the recent player made events such as 'return to Lodran' or whatever). But maybe it doesn't have the same appeal it had when it was just released?

Biggy, I too was fairly unimpressed initially and you're right it does look dated. But the more I played, the more it grew on me. To the point it became an addiction. Once you get past the initial fear/awe/tedium (depending on your opinion), you begin figuring out the mechanics and possibilities and ways to screw over other people, or handy shortcuts and tricks.

But again it's not for everyone. I would suggest sticking with it a bit longer and seeing if things 'click'.

biggytitbo

Just killed the first big cunt in this after about 50 attempts.

Kryton

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 29, 2018, 08:04:25 PM
Just killed the first big cunt in this after about 50 attempts.

Which one? Asylum demon?

Twed

Thanks above to those asking questions. I will probably get this. Is it worth bothering with on an overpowered gaming PC for load times or is it quick/seamless on consoles?

Biggy, you talking Taurus Demon?

Good stuff.

If I can give you one tip, it's to exhaust all dialogue with every NPC you meet, because they tend to give you stuff or do stuff once you've shown good manners and listened.

Twed, on PC you're more likely to bump into tosser hackers who will corrupt your game. I'd go console  it's never going to be busier.

biggytitbo

I'm in the town now, just getting lost. I also just realised I have no idea what the actual aim of this game is.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 29, 2018, 08:57:32 PM
I'm in the town now, just getting lost. I also just realised I have no idea what the actual aim of this game is.

Git gud.

Kryton

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 29, 2018, 08:57:32 PM

You probably have a number of routes now. Report back, I won't spoil anything but I'm happy to read your progress, frustrations and creative swearing.

falafel

Mate, the goal is to gather as many souls as you can, get super buff and beat the living shit out of the final boss, which means you have won.

biggytitbo

I'm in undead burg, just mooching around getting killed a lot. This is basically ghouls and ghosts in 3d isn't it, or a more sombre Maximo: Ghosts to glory.

Now you're getting it. Keep going, champ.

bgmnts

I just resumed my playthrough to give it a third chance and I have no idea where I am or how far I have progressed or where to go. It is the resident evil problem of if you take a break from the game you are a bit fucked because you will forget. The bonfire is in a cave tunnel which leads to a lift which goes down to lightening breath dragon birds gimps and there is a huge dragon head perched on the cliff face whose attack I cannot escape.

Bummer.

My character's name is also Harwrath Saxony as well.... so not only do I get repeatedly murdered I have to suffer the indignity of living with a stupid as fuck name.

biggytitbo

I'm in undead burg but I can't get past the knight or the big lad on the bridge so I think i'll give it one more go and call it a day.

brat-sampson

You can totally smash that bridge beast lad. Use your drop attacks, take it slow, but you can do it.

OK, some quick tips because that's literally the start of the game. I spent about five hours trying to get past that bit on my first go, and helping each other out is part of the Souls experience.

- Ignore the black knight for now. He's for later on or once you really know what you're doing on subsequent playthroughs.

- For the Taurus Demon on the bridge, when you go through the fog door, turn around, climb the ladder and kill the two lads. Then make your way back towards the other side of the bridge. When you see Taurus jump down, turn round and run like mad back to the ladder. When you get to the top, he'll have reached the bottom of the little turret. Jump off and press R1 to do a plunging attack (like it taught you with the Asylum Demon?). While he's recovering, run to the other end of the bridge. He'll follow. Once you've drawn him most of the way, turn round and run back to the ladded, avoiding his big axe attack. You will probably have to learn to roll to avoid this, and it's something you'll find very useful for the rest of the whole game. Once you get to the ladder, do another plunging attack. You will probably only need to do this three times or so, depending on your character and weapons.

Other general tips:

- Lowering your shield builds your stamina back up faster.
- Taking off some armour will help with mobility and give you a faster roll, which is really useful until you level up your equipment load.
- There is a merchant near the bonfire in Undead Burg, near the shield and spear guys, smash the boxes and go down the stairs. He sells a heater shield which is really good, light and blocks 100% of attack damage. If you kill him, you will also get the Uchigatana which is a superb katana type sword. You probably need a few points in Dexterity to use it, though. He also sells a Reinforced Club, which is like a baseball bat with spikes. It's a great weapon both early and throughout the game. The R2 attack staggers most things, including shielded enemies.
- You can two-hand weapons by pressing Triangle/Y which increases their damage, useful for the plunging attack, too.

You're really not far from getting properly started and very close to being able to do co-op with other players. If you're struggling, level up your health at a bonfire. Don't worry about strength, etc. Early on, you just need the stats to wield whatever weapon it is you want, the damage bonuses come from upgrading the gear (and you're very close to being able to do that).

As ever, if you fancy a bit of assistance any time, I'm on PS4 and will be happy to jump on and at least be a bit of a distraction for enemies, without doing it for you.

biggytitbo

Quote from: brat-sampson on June 01, 2018, 09:14:52 AM
You can totally smash that bridge beast lad. Use your drop attacks, take it slow, but you can do it.

Its badly designed though, since I have to replay half the level each time I get killed due to the placement of the last bonfire.

Cuellar

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 01, 2018, 09:18:56 AM

Its badly designed challenging though, since I have to replay half the level each time I get killed due to the placement of the last bonfire.

ftfy

The run up is essentially part of the boss fight and plays into the risk reward dynamic. It's impeccable design. You can't just keep hammering away until you brute force it by chance. Every attempt requires concentration and learning something. It also means that you have something to lose (roughly a thousand souls?) by the time you get there, which makes it even more significant. You could probably turn round and level up, I imagine. Every time, it's daring you to take it on.

brat-sampson

In fairness they did tend to reduce the 'runback' required in later bosses/games, or at least make it a bit simpler to just scoot past everyone and have another thwack at the actual boss without taking out all the goons on the way. The Undeadburg run you do kinda just have to do though, which in fairness works really well as a fixed hurdle. If you can do that though, you're good enough for basically the whole game. Up to Anor Londo at least... ;)

falafel

Yeah, Bayonetta is badly designed because it makes you watch multiple cut scenes with minimal actual gameplay before a boss fight. Dark Souls is teaching you.

I'm aware that doesn't make it less irritating

Attaboy, Clarence.

falafel

...hmm, there are 2 references in that quote when I thought there were one. Here's a game. PM me if you get them both. First to PM the right answer gets love and kisses.

Another edit. I usually despise difficult games. Biggy, soldier on, and pay attention, and you will be rewarded. Just go back to the last thread wherever it is and see how it went for me. In fact, I was totally over dark souls and weirdly crushed after finishing the first game. Swore never to play one again. Then played DS2 not that much later. Was compelled to. Felt the same way afterwards. But like childbirth, those experiences have morphed into positive experiences and totems of endurance in my personal history. I genuinely think I have learned from them.

bgmnts

Quote from: falafel on June 01, 2018, 07:33:22 PM
Yeah, Bayonetta is badly designed because it makes you watch multiple cut scenes with minimal actual gameplay before a boss fight. Dark Souls is teaching you.

I'm aware that doesn't make it less irritating

Attaboy, Clarence.

Bayonetta has fun combat and interesting characters and lore and ting TO BE FAIR.

falafel

I was being provocative.

Also though I regret finishing Bayonetta but definitely don't feel the same about Dark Souls.

Also fuck the entire concept of lore.

bgmnts

Quote from: falafel on June 01, 2018, 08:46:03 PM
I was being provocative.

Also though I regret finishing Bayonetta but definitely don't feel the same about Dark Souls.

Also fuck the entire concept of lore.

Setting, then.