Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, and other faithful throwbacks

Started by Kelvin, May 25, 2018, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

This has been getting quite a bit of buzz this week, and rightfully so.

It's a retro throwback to the NES castlevania games, made by a number of people who worked on that series, and the attention to detail is crazy. Everything from the jump mechanics, to the whip, to the need to avoid picking up unhelpful sub-weapons, to the enemy attacks, to the secret walls, all of it feels authentic. And although the graphics could never run on the NES, the game manages Shovel Knight's trick of looking how people remember NES games looking.     

The biggest gameplay difference between this and the Castlevania games, is the ability to switch, at any point, between the various playable characters; each having their own abilities, life bar and attacks, and each able to access different routes and secrets. It's a nice idea, but results in the game's only significant problem; if one character dies, you lose them from your rotation until all the characters die (and you lose one life), but this makes subsequent attempts at bosses/levels increasingly difficult as you lose more characters, and revive with your health still reduced. Either you kill your other characters so that all of them can be revived, or you carry on, knowing the game is now, temporarily, much harder.

It's still really good, though, and it's an absolute must for fans of the original games. Here's some gameplay footage. I would post a trailer, but they're all terrible, and I think it helps to just watch the game in action for a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ili9_uFcW4

Kelvin

Since this probabaly can't sustain a thread on its own, I thought we could also use it to discuss other faithful recreations of classic games or genres. Stuff that goes above and beyond to really capture the look and/or feel of something from years ago.