Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gene Clark

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, May 26, 2018, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gene Clark songwriting contributions on the first two Byrds albums were better than anything any of the Beatles had written up to that point. True or false?

True
8 (30.8%)
False
18 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Need to settle this once and for all

Howj Begg

Haha. Well no. But there are Gene Clark albums that I've listened to probably dozens of times. Roadmaster, No Other, White Light and the two Dillard and Clark albums specifically. There was a great comp called Flying High which I played that to death too. He's very closely tied to a period of my life when I was ill and depressed so a little bit hard for me to listen to these days, but those songs are inside me, his voice is a permanent part of my memory. As an example of how I won't, despite my fandom, vote 'yes', here's how a Gene Byrds song is allowed, on  Roadmaster, its proper room to stretch, breath, and exhale a scent of greater freedom and meaning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POgM8s1TjRk

Edit: Here's a treat. A song that sounds like a Gene cover, but isn't. Let's say "influenced". Either way it's a beautiful modern take on Gene's beautiful melodic vocal writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8_ZWlOKsUQ

Funcrusher

What are the Gene Clark songs on the first two Byrds albums?

Phil_A

Strength Of Strings is a masterpiece, right? I think I first heard it on a Cab Mix CD many year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbZQePLyBg

Funcrusher

I think there are songs on the 'Preflyte' compilation that weren't released at the time that would fit under this heading. It's years since I listened to The Byrds so I don't remember this stuff.

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 26, 2018, 11:31:05 PM
What are the Gene Clark songs on the first two Byrds albums?

Yeah, I probably should have listed them. They are:

"I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" (Gene Clark) – 2:32
"You Won't Have to Cry" (Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn) – 2:08
"Here Without You" (Gene Clark) – 2:36
"I Knew I'd Want You" (Gene Clark) – 2:14
"It's No Use" (Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn) – 2:23
"Set You Free This Time" (Gene Clark) – 2:49
"The World Turns All Around Her" (Gene Clark) – 2:13
"If You're Gone" (Gene Clark) – 2:45
"She Don't Care About Time" (Gene Clark) – 2:29

I voted 'false' by the way, I'm just trying to be provocative

PaulTMA

You're not likely to get a straight answer with the anti-Beatle -obviosly-peado contingent

itsfredtitmus

How many songs on Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers are just Taxman / Doctor Robert / Drive My Car?

Butchers Blind

No Other is a fantastic record.  Think it did no business on its release in '74 and cost a lot of money and time to produce but an amazing collection of songs.  I spent £25 on a japanese import of the record 20 years ago as it wasn't commercially available over here at that time but worth the money.

Some Misunderstanding

Psmith

I've got White Light and No Other.
I play them both a lot.

Dr Rock

My favourite Byrd, got all his solo stuff, one negative thing I will say is he can be a bit dreary when he doesn't hit the mark. But still a big fan.

the science eel

Quote from: Phil_A on May 26, 2018, 11:40:02 PM
Strength Of Strings is a masterpiece, right?

Absolute 24-carat solid gold, yep.

mosh

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 26, 2018, 11:05:06 PM
Need to settle this once and for all

He's a good lad. White Light and No Other are fantastic records, criminally undervalued. The fuzzed-out bass riff on 'No Other' is a monster.

mosh

Do you think we've settled the issue, MV? I think there are still some unbelievers in our midst. I propose standing outside their flatshares and tutting at them.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: mosh on May 31, 2018, 03:00:06 AM
Do you think we've settled the issue, MV? I think there are still some unbelievers in our midst.

I have adored Only Colombe for a long time. There was a version without the backing vocals on the fantastic Death In Vegas - Back To Mine compilation. Even better, though I love how they waver in and out of concordance.

https://youtu.be/kbzVck8psYY

Howj Begg