Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Video game locations you'd like to settle down in

Started by Twed, May 27, 2018, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Inspired by seeing this Lemmings level and thinking "I'd quite like to go there, for a bit".

Wouldn't want to live there though.

In the late 90s I was staying at my friend's farmhouse and we were having a post-midnight conversation about where we'd like to live in FF7, and the general consensus was Cosmo Canyon.

Lovely sleepy thoughtful place. Now I'd just quite like to go back in time to the farmhouse in the 90s.

And then there's the Icicle Inn outpost, but like Aspen would be ruined by society and snowboarders:

Brundle-Fly

Far Cry 3 without Hoyt and his goons and those nippy komodo dragons.

bgmnts

Neomod

I like the crystalline waters of wake island from Battlefield 1943..

or the community feel of the trailer park in Plants and Zombies: Garden Warfare

maybe converting the Mile High club in Just Cause 2 into the ultimate penthouse

Zetetic

I want some of the furniture from Dunwall and Karnaca in the Dishonored games, but I don't think I'd want to live in either of those places.

Kelvin

Mira, from Xenoblade X. Space dinosaurs, incredible scenery, and the the chance to get everywhere in a gigantic transforming mech. 

Lemming

If we don't count the authoritarian police state that runs the place and the high chance of being fatally kicked in the head by random arseholes running across rooftops, the cities from Mirror's Edge and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst would be great to live in aesthetically:

Glebe

I imagine Nosgoth from the Legacy of Kain series would be nice.

St_Eddie

Despite the name of the location, Blood Island from The Curse of Monkey Island would be a friendly place to live (even the local cannibals are vegetarian).

falafel

Quote from: Kelvin on May 27, 2018, 05:05:16 PM
Mira, from Xenoblade X. Space dinosaurs, incredible scenery, and the the chance to get everywhere in a gigantic transforming mech. 

How can that game be so breathtaking and the sequel look so dreadful? I wonder if they will port X to Switch. I would buy it.

Kelvin

Quote from: falafel on May 27, 2018, 08:07:08 PM
How can that game be so breathtaking and the sequel look so dreadful? I wonder if they will port X to Switch. I would buy it.

I don't think Xenoblade 2 looks dreadful. It certainly has some nice art direction in certain areas - although, outside of Uraya, nothing comes close to the beauty of anywhere in Xenoblade X. It's more the textures in 2 that look so bad. It is baffling that the graphics took such a noticeable hit.

I'm absolutely certain X will get a port. The director of the game has even said they're considering it, apparently. My guess if that Xenoblade X2 will be their next big project, and releasing a port of X first will buy them more time, and also allow people to get up to speed on the story. I'd absolutely buy a port of X2 if it came with a few upgrades, like New Game+   

Consignia

Quote from: falafel on May 27, 2018, 08:07:08 PM

Not sure I agree with that. Character design aside, I think Xenoblade 2 it least the equal of that. I've not played the series beyond XC2, but the world and it's exploration was one the best things about it.

Majula from Dark Souls 2 is my favourite area of any game. As it gradually fills up with NPCs, it's a very comforting place.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on May 27, 2018, 09:13:19 PM
Not sure I agree with that. Character design aside, I think Xenoblade 2 it least the equal of that. I've not played the series beyond XC2, but the world and it's exploration was one the best things about it.

As I said above, I ended up really, really liking Xenoblade 2, but the world has nothing on the scale and art design of X. Which isn't a dig against Xenoblade 2, but rather a tribute to the brilliance of X. I'm not sure I've ever played a game with better art design. It is absolutely staggering in it's beauty, scale and ambition. As I said above, the closest 2 gets is the beautiful vistas of Uraya, but X manages that kind of beauty around every corner, and in a world much, much larger than Alrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpNXhzscjQ

Xenoblade 2 is a really nicely designed world, but Xenoblade X is a masterpiece of art design.

Kelvin

Quote from: Steven on May 27, 2018, 09:22:00 PM

Bunch of imbred families, with bratty kids, naughty monkeys and greedy cats.

Fuck em.

Steven

Quote from: Kelvin on May 27, 2018, 09:55:38 PM
Bunch of imbred families, with bratty kids, naughty monkeys and greedy cats.

Fuck em.

Mate, I'm from Rhyl.

St_Eddie

The psychedelic and vivid colours found in the far away land of Kolyma, would make for a fine holiday getaway.  You'll also be presented with the opportunity to rescue your wife-to-be from a tower.  Just pray that she doesn't have Kolymadia.

asids

City 17 from Half-Life 2. Not the actual city itself obviously, but I like the architecture of it. Very Eastern European looking, I went through a bit in Warsaw that instantly reminded me of it.

Spoon of Ploff

From the Dairy of Spl'Off the Grave.

With the deaths of Fanari Strong-Voice, and Storn Crag-Strider haunting my conscence I left Solstheim a broken player. I gave up all questing, divided my loot amongst my adopted children (whose constant whining for money, gifts and pets was starting to grate to be honest), and said goodbye to Serana. As a last step to cut all ties with my adventuring past I threw all my enchanted armour and weapons into the sea from atop the college of Winterhold.

I then resolved to spend the rest of my days roaming the froozen shores of Skyrim, living off clams, and the meat of any stray rabbit that crossed my path.. I soon came across Hela's Folly, and decided to make this my new home... the nearby wrecked ship seemed an apt metaphore for my life thus far... my only company, an Argonian called Deekus who kept telling me to fuck off, this is his spot. It was more than I deserved.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If the threat of random violence was toned down a little, I think GTA's San Andreas would be a pleasant place to live. There's a wide variety of scenery for such a small landmass, always something good on the radio. and you can go base jumping off skyscrapers whenever the fancy takes you.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 28, 2018, 12:12:09 AM

The psychedelic and vivid colours found in the far away land of Kolyma, would make for a fine holiday getaway.  You'll also be presented with the opportunity to rescue your wife-to-be from a tower.  Just pray that she doesn't have Kolymadia.

I always liked the look of the places in Kings Quest. Especially 3. Playing that at a young age used to be so exciting. I'm off to download them all now.

EDIT - Quick find!! - https://classicreload.com/kings-quest-iii-to-heir-is-human.html

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 27, 2018, 07:13:07 PM
Despite the name of the location, Blood Island from The Curse of Monkey Island would be a friendly place to live (even the local cannibals are vegetarian).

I was going to post this myself but decided I couldn't be arsed.

Hello gwynevere in anor londo in dark souls can I live in your anus

Bhazor

Startopia. I want to be patted on the head by a ten foot angel forever.

Sherman Krank

I always quite liked the idea of living in the Hefner-esque penthouse built into the top of a mountain in Hitman: Blood Money. The front bit was a veritable symphony of 70's kitsch complete with a glass bottomed Jacuzzi overhanging the drop and the back bit had a fully featured studio with a sound stage and also provided a helipad with complimentary attack helicopter.
Though I suspect if it had ever come on the market Sean Connery would have snapped it up.

Also from the same game...

The Chilean Winery from the Delgado mission had a delightful rustic charm. If I'd been Agent 47, after whacking the owner and his only heir I'd have waited for the property to be auctioned off and then gone back and whacked the new owners.
I reckon you'd only have to do that two or three times before the place gained a reputation and you could pick it up for song.

Again from the same game...

I also took a bit of a shine to the Mafioso health spa place. It was well laid out and the decor was extremely tasteful. Of course I'd have to clean out the Mafioso and I'd probably end up converting the underground prison cells into a Squash court and steam room but otherwise a real gem.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on May 28, 2018, 03:57:24 PM
I always liked the look of the places in Kings Quest. Especially 3. Playing that at a young age used to be so exciting. I'm off to download them all now.

I highly recommend downloading the unofficial remakes of King's Quest I-III.  They take the flaws of the original incarnations of those games and take 'em 'round back, to knock t'living seven bells outta 'em, good 'n' proper, like.

Quote from: popcorn on May 28, 2018, 04:24:11 PM
I was going to post this myself but decided I couldn't be arsed.

You know that it's bad when even I have more motivation than you.  Where did it all go wrong, "popcorn"?  Where did it all go wrong?