Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Video game locations you'd like to settle down in

Started by Twed, May 27, 2018, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

If you ignore the otherworld and all the monsters, Silent Hill looks like a lovely little town to live in.

Mister Six

Lurelin Village from Breath of the Wild. Lovely little tropical beach village, fairly well insulated from all the monsters and such out in the badlands.

magval

Friend of mine told me once that when he has trouble getting to sleep he'd imagine he was on the tanker at the very start of MGS2 and pretend he was tucked up safe under a tarpaulin, safe from all that shit weather and nasty Russian soldiers.

I've stolen that from him and it works wonders. So I'd settle down there, and happily die from pneumonia in my blissfully ignorant sleep.

Just been playing Street Fighter 3: Third Strike.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: magval on May 29, 2018, 09:59:47 PM
Friend of mine told me once that when he has trouble getting to sleep he'd imagine he was on the tanker at the very start of MGS2 and pretend he was tucked up safe under a tarpaulin, safe from all that shit weather and nasty Russian soldiers.
Not in a cardboard box?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Caldera, Vvardenfell

Fachwerk, a pub, a load of white nonces to stab and a Creeper who will buy your things for infinity Gold.

hedgehog90

New Jack

Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs

Could get a pork bun whenever I wanted!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Sherman Krank on May 29, 2018, 01:59:45 AM
Hitman: Blood Money
I felt like they really captured this in the new game. With the exception of the white supremacist camp, all the locations seemed like they'd be lovely to visit. The Sapienza villa in particular is idyllic and even has an underground drugs lab.

Just remembered the Marrakesh level, fuck that. But Paris, Sapienza, Bangkok and Hokkaido all lovely. I'd love to stay in that Bangkok hotel and would be happy to overlook the bald man stashing corpses on the roof.

Bhazor

The new Hitman levels are brilliant. Massive great slabs of real estate that feel more like a living world than anything Rockstar has ever made.

Jerzy Bondov

Kamurocho from Yakuza. A couple of arcades, a bowling alley, batting centre, shops, clubs, bars, underground gambling dens, parks, and a mad bloke who comes out of a dustbin to fight you.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 05, 2018, 10:28:54 AM
With the exception of the white supremacist camp, all the locations seemed like they'd be lovely to visit.

The white supremacist camp would be a lovely place to settle down in, if only it weren't for all the white supremacists.  I don't know why they all congregate there.  Ruins the otherwise pleasant vibe of the camp.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 05, 2018, 10:51:02 AM
Kamurocho from Yakuza. A couple of arcades, a bowling alley, batting centre, shops, clubs, bars, underground gambling dens, parks, and a mad bloke who comes out of a dustbin to fight you.

Um... you could just live in the same British town as me to get the exact same experience, you know?

The Lion King

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 27, 2018, 07:13:07 PM

Despite the name of the location, Blood Island from The Curse of Monkey Island would be a friendly place to live (even the local cannibals are vegetarian).

Perfect! This particular scene sparked an obsession for multicoloured lights in me. Music on Blood island (and indeed the whole game) is great too. Puerto Pollo would be alright too, decent restaurant, theatre, barbershop. The clouds are so beautiful in that game.

Dali - Final Fantasy IX

Windmills and peace and quiet, plenty of room to grow veg. Shame the locals were being duped into doing dodgy business but as self appointed mayor I'd make sure there was no more of that nonsense.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Lion King on June 05, 2018, 11:40:37 AM
Perfect! This particular scene sparked an obsession for multicoloured lights in me...

Oh, wow!  No word of a lie; me too!

Quote from: The Lion King on June 05, 2018, 11:40:37 AMPuerto Pollo would be alright too, decent restaurant, theatre, barbershop.

... giant demonic chicken.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 11:47:31 AM... giant demonic chicken.
Madre de dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

I like Booty Island the best. It's Mardi Gras all year round, you can enter a spitting contest, and if you bonk your head trying to climb a tree you'll see some singing skeletons. * * * * * would visit again. Blood Island is too melancholy. Also, you'll remember that Guybrush gets the volcano to erupt with the effect of restoring tourist trade, so it'd be rammed now.

I've just thought of another pick: Inaba (Persona 4). I miss spending time there.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 05, 2018, 11:58:44 AM
I like Booty Island the best. It's Mardi Gras all year round, you can enter a spitting contest, and if you bonk your head trying to climb a tree you'll see some singing skeletons. * * * * * would visit again.

Aye.  There's scant few islands in any of the Monkey Island games that I wouldn't care to settle down in.

Phil_A

Dobuita in Shenmue, which has the added bonus of being modelled on a real street in Yokosuka, so you could theoretically go there and pester complete strangers with questions about Lan Di and the whereabouts of sailors.

Myst Island would also be a lovely chill place to hang out on.

Custard

MacFarlane's Ranch in Red Dead Redemption, where I'd kiss and shack up with Bonnie MacFarlane

Big Mclargehuge

If you stay out of trouble I imagine Vice City is a pretty sweet place to set up shop...failing that I'd probably choose the loco roco universe because im not that far off being an orange singing ball of fat as it is...

Kelvin

Everyone seems pretty enthusiastic in the Street Fighter Universe.

The northern lights of Scotland.

Or this area filled with peaceful animal buddies.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on June 05, 2018, 12:36:40 PM
Dobuita in Shenmue, which has the added bonus of being modelled on a real street in Yokosuka, so you could theoretically go there and pester complete strangers with questions about Lan Di and the whereabouts of sailors.

Good choice.  I was going to nominate this one myself.  It's got a cracking arcade full of classic Sega games and all (in which, you can also play a game of drunken, Parkinson's disease darts).

popcorn

I went to the real Dobuita last month. Maybe it was more like the game back in the 80s, but now you'd get a more Shenmue-like experience by wandering around any given tentacle of Yokohama. The real Doubita layout is nothing like the game - it's much less enclosed - and it's very colourful and vibrant, without the sense of melancholy. There are quite a few novelty shops selling mad curries and military gear and merchandise, and a lot of, yes, American sailors wandering around, who in reality are just massive jocks in cargo shorts. It's quite an interesting place, though - not really like anywhere else I've been in Japan - and worth a visit on its own terms.

There's a little pamphlet you get with locations from the game, but they don't really match up. A guy working in a burger shop where we ate recognised it, so I asked him how many Shenmue nerds he saw - he said almost no Japanese, a few Americans, but mostly Europeans.

boki

canadagoose

Quote from: Phil_A on June 05, 2018, 12:36:40 PM

You beat me to it - although I'd probably rather stay in Sakuragaoka as it's a bit quieter. The Shenmue version of Yokosuka has a strange charm about it, even if it is a bit depressing with all its vacant shops and harbour thugs. It feels like a comfortable sort of place, even if it is a bit concrete-y.

ASFTSN

I'd quite like to be able to wake up in the morning and go for a stroll round the island in Myst.

St_Eddie

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 06, 2018, 10:08:58 AM
I'd quite like to be able to wake up in the morning and go for a stroll round the island in Myst.

Yeah but you'd have to solve a ridiculously obtuse slider puzzle, just in order to make some toast in the morning.

FredNurke

You just press the lever down, it catches, and after a couple of minutes the bread pops up all toasted. Pretty straightforward, although I may have had to check GameFAQs the first time round.