Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Flowers Series 2

Started by Malcy, May 27, 2018, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Starts back on the 11th June at 10pm. Really enjoyed the first series so looking forward to this.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1yMul6bNU

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for the update, I really loved the first series and knew a second had been commissioned but then everything went quiet, so it's great to hear it's coming soon.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Hope they can make the son a relevant character this time round.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 27, 2018, 06:36:32 PM
Thanks for the update, I really loved the first series and knew a second had been commissioned but then everything went quiet, so it's great to hear it's coming soon.

Yeah things were fairly quiet until last week when a promo picture was released. Wasn't really expecting a trailer any time soon or for it to be starting next month. Gives me time to watch the 1st series again.

dannyfc

Despite being a surreal comedy, I reckon it's one of the most accurate depictions of depression on TV. Properly teared up during that conversation in the car toward the end.

rm2kmaster

Excellent news. First one was brilliant and a frighteningly accurate portrayal of depression. Plus one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard on a TV show.

Malcy

Being shown over a week again which is good.

McFlymo

I'm very pleased about this! I'm going to re-watch the first series again, although I'm concerned it might exacerbate my already fragile emotional state... AWWW FUCK IT!

I felt Flowers was one of those lovely hidden gems, that didn't get a lot of attention but really deserved it.

Malcy

Back tonight but going to wait till the weekend and watch both series back to back.

chveik

Great, I had forgotten about this.

chveik

I've just seen the first 3 episodes. They are quite disappointing. The pace is too hectic and the plot isn't really captivating. This series seems to have lost the nicely bleak atmosphere of the first one.

jobotic

Sin Agog

Sad if this doesn't live up to the first series.  Like the idea of a mega-successful British-Japanese TV comedy writer.

The first series got torn to shreds in the original thread, didn't it?  I had the biggest cry in a long time during Barrett's raw-boned explanation of depression to his daughter in the hotel room.  To quote Jeff Buckley, 'Oh that was so real.'

Edit: Den of Geek and the Torygraph loved it: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/flowers/58370/flowers-series-2-episodes-1-2-review

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/06/15/flowers-series-2-review-fiercely-imaginative-emotionally-truthful/

VelourSpirit

Absolutely loved the first series, was really surprised that everyone in the thread hated it. Loved that beautiful gloomy aesthetic and all of the characters. Had a good old cry at the end. Shame Barratt's had a haircut for this series though.

Virgo76

Superb second series, generally better than the first.
Certainly more of a drama than a comedy though.
Surprised how little attention it's received on here.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 18, 2018, 09:36:45 AM
Superb second series, generally better than the first.
Certainly more of a drama than a comedy though.
Surprised how little attention it's received on here.

maybe overnight ratings don't matter any more, given catch-up and what-not, but channel 4 had a whopping 130,000 people watching this by the end

shh

Actually I had to give up during episode 3 of this. Will try again at some point as I liked the first series. I found I couldn't stand the sister this time, and the brother reverted to his obnoxious self. The peruked subplot is also confused and intrusive. More Barratt & Shun please.

McFlymo

I like the hectic pace of the new series, it feels like an original way to present all the new changes within the family. I've been a little overwhelmed by the bleakness of things so far, though. I've only watched three episodes so far, also. I think I'll have to take my time digesting it. I'm anxious that something very awful is coming, like maybe the son is going to sexually assault one of the band members, or commit suicide, or something hard and heavy like that, which I'm not sure I'd be able to handle.

I'm slightly disappointed with the daughter's music in this series so far, I felt it was definitely more avant garde and out there in series 1, which I quite enjoyed.

Former

I liked it a lot.

I did maybe feel a bit of a disconnect between the first and second series - felt to me like they changed/'moved on' one too many different things. I guess this is partly because the 'lead character' emphasis shifted to the daughter this time at the expense of Julian and Olivia - there's no reason why a show shouldn't do this, it's just slightly unusual.

Nonetheless, the acting was jarringly brilliant. Sophia Di Martino deserves some sort of BAFTA.

Fewer big laughs than series one, but a couple of brilliant deliveries from Julian. 'a cunt in a cape' being a particular highlight. And the half-hearted way in which he joined in with a 'we all love you' type conversation at one point.

Malcy

Binged the first series last weekend because I couldn't remember much of it then went straight in to series 2 and fell asleep. Tried again but couldn't get into it. Watched the final 4 tonight.

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first but the last episode was beautiful. Really enjoyed it. Shun's arrival worked a lot better by seeing it at the end because we knew his back story but the others didn't. To see how utterly humbled and happy he was to be taken in by the Flowers was lovely. The acting in this is really good. Great cast.

Was looking at IMDb and Will Sharpe played a young Pat Quid n Brian Pern!

Thomas

Old thread. Just finished series 2. I think this is an incredible, special show. I wouldn't just go recommending it indiscriminately, but if you're feeling stable enough and looking for something powerful, unflinching, and truly darkly funny (as so many inferior series limply claim to be), then watch Flowers. It's alive with a beautifully realised disconcerting atmosphere. I'm reminded of the vibe that thrums through some of Twin Peaks, though of course the two shows are worlds and themes apart. It's just so successfully off-kilter, like the best Blue Jam sketches, and its depiction of people struggling with mental health issues is strong and provocative. There's plenty of mild, gentle, vague, let's-add-a-ribbon-to-our-Facebook-profiles stuff out there, but this is an emotional shotgun. And very funny.

Brilliant acting all round - Julian Barratt is a fantastic dramatic actor - but Olivia Colman especially really glows in series 2. Such dysfunctional and vulnerable characters, so weird but strangely real. Amazing television, can't praise it enough.

I've got to go out in an hour though, so I must watch something fluffy to artificially reroute my brain-course and lighten the mood. Quick!

Noodle Lizard

I liked it well enough too. I think sometimes it doesn't strike the right balance between very broad/predictable comedy and the more absurd/darker elements, which makes for a really weird and kind of grubby watching experience. I was surprised to learn the writer/director played the Japanese fellow (Shun?) - he can't have been much older than 30 at the time!

I found the second season weaker overall, not sure making the daughter and that curse storyline the focus was the best move, and while it wrapped everything up nicely enough it felt like a bit of an unsatisfying ending. Not sure if they intended to make more or whatever the deal was there.