Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your own songs

Started by Rats, February 21, 2004, 01:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Right, this isn't actually mine, but what do you think of it? Yes its a remix of a famous singer, and I don't come in here much so I didnt want to start a whole new thread. Anyway, here it is...

http://www.benjamino.net/cab/05%20Once%20Again%20Remix%20-%20AJames_ABlanco.mp3

Its drum n' bassy loungey type stuff by the way...

didgeripoo

Ok, this is something I've just put together for a short film that a friend is making. We're collaborating on random short things at the mo. Come to think of it, it's got my real name on the ID3 tag. Fuck. Oh well, I'm sure it doesn't matter. It won't be up for too long.

pure

Let me know what you reckon. It's only short.

didgeripoo

Quote from: "ColaCoca"Slow heavily filtered breaks with indian noises and oddly, no real bass line.

Rope Trick

Mmmmm quite like this...it's slinky. Occasionally feels a bit empty to me, there are some places where I don't feel enough is going on to give it that extra bit of oomph. Nicely filtered loops though, and I like the auto-panning. I always like auto-panning, me. What did you put it together on?

Incidentally, I'd like to be listening to a lot more of the stuff on this thread, but I occasionally find the filesizes a bit daunting. Even in MP3 format. ColaCoca's tune took me the best part of an hour to download, believe it or not.

I'm sure I'd be feebacking more if the files were a bit smaller. I know we all like to present our tunes in the highest feasible quality, but it does make it tricky for people like me to listen to them. And I know I'm a hypocrite, cos the file I put up was over 3 Mb. Anyway, I looked at this thread today and realised that four of us had bunged up tracks (including me) without bothering to give any feedback to others. I don't want to see this thread die, and I think it will if it carries on like that.

El Unicornio, mang

You're absolutely right. Gonna try to give some feedback to the posted tracks when  I get a chance, although generally speaking the quality of music posted here tends to be top notch anyway :thumbs up:

falafel

Umm... guilty. I just upgraded my connection too, so there's even less of an excuse. I'll stick a few reviews up tomorrow, I'm off to bed now.

[Edit]:

Sod it, I've downloaded Rope Trick. It's really good, very atmospheric. Kind of reminds me of King of Woolworths crossed with Four Tet. But then everything's reminding me of Four Tet these days. I like the stripped-down-ness of it. Very swirly; sort of entrancing, actually. Nice.

I couldn't actually download any of the others. I'll try again tomorrow, but, The Unicorn, it seems that your MP3s are definitely down.

El Unicornio, mang

Yup, forgot to change the file extensions. Should be fine now

Zork's Keeper

Hello...

This was in"Links to cool thing's":

//www.alien-zoo.com/alienzoo.html

This has been added now too:

//www.alien-zoo.com/robotworld.html

More to come over the next few weeks.

<Savey..--++ourself>

El Unicornio, mang

Okay, downloaded a few of these, here's my thoughts:

chand - lovely guitar track, really like that kind of sound. Reminds me a bit of Mogwai. Very nice.

didgeripoo - love it, sounds like it could be used in a complex thriller style film like The Insider

ColaCoca - not the kind of music I would usually buy, but I really like that one, got a big thing for those kind of Indian/Turkish/Egyptian sounds, me

All in all, top stuff, give yourselves a big pat on the back. Will try to download more when I get time

Borboski

Look you cats how do you come up with drum and rythm sounds? At the moment I use the creative midibank, and because my keyboard won't let my plonk away happily, I can only record one note at a time, saved in sound forge, and slowly build up a drum loop.

It takes frickking ages guys!!! @@@xxX@X@X!!

Surely there's a way I can just assign sounds to a keyboard i can plug in and use as a joystick (usb?), or use the keyboard, and use it as a drum beat syntheziser?

Borboski

ah ha ha ha now i have a drum beat synthesizer...

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Christ SoreBottomMum, you're fucking crackers! Loved those.

I second the Mogwai-ness of the Enough Rope track, and therefore obviously loved it.

And Unicorn - christ. They were fab.I didn't know what to expect, but they were really bloody good, especially "I Will Follw Her Down"

didgeripoo

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
didgeripoo - love it, sounds like it could be used in a complex thriller style film like The Insider

Cheers Unicorn. I have no idea what the film will turn out like. My mate gave me a word, I wrote that piece based on the word, then sent it to him so he can make a film based on that.

I'll listen to some more of these soon.

Oh and Borboski, for drums I tend to trigger samples on my software sampler via my midi keyboard and build up patterns. Then record the patterns into my audio and sequencing prog where I piss about with them and add effects.

Or I'll use my synth's crappy kits with too much compression and overdrive. Depends really. I'm not at all into using pre-arranged loops of the kind that fill squillions of sample CDs.

Borboski

Quote from: "didgeripoo"
Oh and Borboski, for drums I tend to trigger samples on my software sampler via my midi keyboard and build up patterns. Then record the patterns into my audio and sequencing prog where I piss about with them and add effects.

Or I'll use my synth's crappy kits with too much compression and overdrive. Depends really. I'm not at all into using pre-arranged loops of the kind that fill squillions of sample CDs.

Hmm... sounds like what I need - are you basically using the keyboard as a joystick? The sounds are stored on the computer, the midi keyboard then used just as in input?

I don't quite understand the use of these downloadable loops - is the idea that you manipulate them quite heavily? Because otherwise what are you doing that's all that creative.

Perhaps somebody could 'disect' a track that's been done quite imaginatively, pointing out which sounds are created by them and how, which are soundfonts and how they record them, and which are from downloaded loops.

Sam

Great stuff, sore bottom mum.

How different is your "singing" voice to your normal, speaking voice?

didgeripoo

Quote from: "Borboski"
Hmm... sounds like what I need - are you basically using the keyboard as a joystick? The sounds are stored on the computer, the midi keyboard then used just as in input?

Yes. Unless I'm using my synths kits (massively edited). For the record my synth is a Roland XP80. It does the trick.

I don't quite understand the use of these downloadable loops - is the idea that you manipulate them quite heavily? Because otherwise what are you doing that's all that creative.

Hmmm you've confused me here. Easily done. Do you mean the loops on the sample CDs I mentioned? In which case yes, the idea is to manipulate them, and no, people don't always bother meaning that really they're doing fuck all creatively. I don't use sample CD loops. I'd rather create my own and process them hideously. Or nicely.

Perhaps somebody could 'disect' a track that's been done quite imaginatively, pointing out which sounds are created by them and how, which are soundfonts and how they record them, and which are from downloaded loops.

Not me, I'm not technologically minded enough. Does someone else want to have a go?

Examples of people that use interesting rhythm sounds/loops would include most of the electronica glitterati like Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada. Quite difficult to work out exactly what they're doing sometimes. In fact, most of the time.

Unicorn, those two tracks are just ridiculously good fun. Where did you get the vocal samples from, if you don't mind me asking? The drums on Big Momma reminded me of New Order and the whole thing was immensely funky.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "didgeripoo"
Unicorn, those two tracks are just ridiculously good fun. Where did you get the vocal samples from, if you don't mind me asking? The drums on Big Momma reminded me of New Order and the whole thing was immensely funky.

The first one has samples from an amusing video that's been doing the rounds on the 'net lately. 'tis here:
http://www.bangedup.com/archives/beatdownwhoopinass.wmv

No idea about the samples from the second one. My wife just sent me an email with loads of wav files (including ones ripped from that .wmv file) this  afternoon and said "can you make some tunes with these please?"
So, having not much else to do, i did. i'll ask her where they're from.
Glad you liked 'em!

sore bottom mum

Quote from: "Sam"How different is your "singing" voice to your normal, speaking voice?

My normal voice is a little higher.

ColaCoca

Quote from: "falafel"I'd really like some comments on Soft;

Well I think it's excellent.

Rats

Misheard

from the roar of the planes/plains on the ground
scoot outward bound
so close, the opposites sting
butterflys, no wings
risable
rise up all

sore bottom mum, "my room" is fab

Almost Yearly

I like falafel's Soft.

Rats, you want a better host, you do. I keep getting unavailables on your various linkages about the place.

Rats

Cheers, seems to be back up now. That's only twice it's went down so it's pretty good going.

Rats

Rats

Almost Yearly

I liked the surprise noisy thing at the end of Misheard.

"Misheard" is right - stop hiding your vocals so much. I did the same on this and have regretted it ever since. No-one else is as hypersensitive about hearing your voice as you are, and it's a shame to lose such good lyrics. And while I'm here being all sober, try using a soupçon of the same modulation effect (phasey/flangey thing) on your drums as you've used on the git - it'll bring the two together. Just a dab mind, or you'll make everyone sick. Again.

Rats

Cheers for that almost, I'll try all that next time.
I wanted the drums clean and crisp, I think maybe they're just too loud. I'll try what you said though. You should know what you're on about being a drummer and all.

Almost Yearly

You might think so, I couldn't possibly comment.

Rats

a nerdy boy and an old woman keep seeing each other while out shopping and dream of being together but not in a nasty crust chute pummeling way

town

eye hole
dry soul
plain clothes
and what you got
to get
to give
not to die alone
the same as anyone

me an elsie
stay some day
an no alone