Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,468
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 4

Started by selectivememory, May 29, 2018, 06:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

First half of the season drops on Netflix tomorrow, just a day after Arrested Development.

Final season apparently, which I'm not too upset about. It's one of my favourite shows, but I think four seasons is enough. Titus and Kimmy carry the show for me, and they've been consistently brilliant throughout the run, but I did find Jacqueline and Lillian's storylines increasingly tedious over the last two seasons.

Trailer.

New Jack

Unbreakable Titus more like!!

My favourite current sitcom that isn't It's Always Funny. I think it's so densely packed with amazing one liners, I've given it a rewatch and I'm still laughing at things I missed first time around.

The supporting cast is fantastic. Amy Schumer is terrific, Carol Kane steals many of the scenes she's in. Don't like all their storylines either, but at least they're kept afloat with jokes.

Probably right for it to end, as even with the wacky universe, "woman adapts to society" only has limited shelf-life. Just hope Kimmy stays in that startup, playing with dogs in that ballpit. She's my spirit animal!

selectivememory

Quote from: New Jack on May 30, 2018, 09:51:11 AM
The supporting cast is fantastic. Amy Schumer is terrific, Carol Kane steals many of the scenes she's in. Don't like all their storylines either, but at least they're kept afloat with jokes.

I don't mind them at all when the focus isn't on their particular plots, and I think Jacqueline and Titus make a great double act.

The thing with Jacqueline was that she was one of the funniest things about the show in the first season, but I think self-awareness has been a bit of a killer to what made her funny in the first place. Mind you, I do think her working as an agent has a lot of potential (and it seems from that trailer that it'll give her a reason to spend more time with Titus as well).

Ant Farm Keyboard

Bad Ambassador

New Jack

Pretend I explained away that mistake as deliberate, in an effortlessly convincing way, in this post, and we can laugh it all off!

Sorry. All white people look the same, right?

Blinder Data

New Jack

Well I wasn't expecting anything like episode 3!

Blinder Data

Titus Andromedon is the best comedy character name of all time, isn't it? Just saying it out loud makes me smile. That's before you add the amazing performance/character himself.

I agree that I really like this show but am OK with it ending. It feels a little limited in what it can cover, and Kimmy/Titus are the really interesting bits (though Jacqueline can be v funny as a sub-plot).

I just love how many jokes they pack in. Even the ones I don't laugh at I don't mind because you know there'll be another ten seconds later.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 30, 2018, 04:37:59 PM
Titus Andromedon is the best comedy character name of all time, isn't it?
It annoys me because, some years before, I'd come up with a character called Titus Androgynous. Now, in the incredibly unlikely event that I ever get around to writing anything involving said character, everyone would think I ripped off the name.

I can't stay mad at Titus Andromedon though.

Harpo Speaks

Don't think there's a show out there at the moment with a higher gag rate. Exceptional comedy writing.

New Jack

Bursting here waiting for you lot to get up to speed with the third episode. I think it's the best in the show's herstory

Pseudopath

Quote from: New Jack on May 31, 2018, 01:20:33 PM
Bursting here waiting for you lot to get up to speed with the third episode. I think it's the best in the show's herstory

I concur. Loved the pointless Titus reenactments (especially the stone skimming segment) and props to Jon Hamm for sending up his own embarrassing dating show appearance. With all of the callbacks, it would have made an excellent series finale, although I suppose a final episode with 30 seconds of Kimmy in it would be a bit rubs.

New Jack

Phew! God, what a fucking masterclass of callbacks, short jokes, visual comedy (Titus but there's loads) and satire. The men's rights stuff was hysterical, but moreso when it hit me it was... sorta realistic and cringeworthy. I don't wanna spoil it! I don't want to give it away! It's just so fucking good. I didn't even know what the fuck was playing for the first few minutes.

Every relationship has secrets...

selectivememory

Episode three was great, but I don't think I could call it the best one the show's ever done, given that it was so different and the main characters barely had any screen time. It was fantastic for what it was though.

Loved the first two as well. Off to a very strong start.

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 31, 2018, 03:50:53 PM
props to Jon Hamm for sending up his own embarrassing dating show appearance.

That was amazing. He was great in this episode.

And Titus in general has been as magnificent as ever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The third episode would be more impressive if some of its thunder hadn't been stolen by American Vandal.

Pseudopath

Jesus. The backpack/rocks scene in the last episode was harrowing.

selectivememory

The second half of this season is going to be released in January apparently.

I actually quite like that. Six episodes is enough for me for now. I hope they still release BoJack all in one go though.

New Jack

Fuck's sake, January? I'm already holding off episode six. Maybe if I watch it in one second increments... That's still like three gags per increment!

Nothing else on now is as funny as Kimmy Schmidt.

Just hope the film is good!  Yeah, you read that right, readers.

Pseudopath

Quote from: New Jack on June 01, 2018, 04:31:44 PM
Nothing else on now is as funny as Kimmy Schmidt.

You are correct. I reckon this (abridged) season is actually one of the most consistently laugh-out-loud things I've watched in years. Great to see Lillian and Jacqueline having some actual purpose again (particularly the latter's casual takeover of the GizToob offices culminating in the wonderful return of Amy Sedaris).

selectivememory

Yeah, this has been a great first half of the season. Titus's school musical was a high point. And yeah, agreed that Jacqueline and Lillian have been good so far, although part of that is that they've been used sparingly.

Ferris

I really enjoyed this - the gag per minute ratio is sensational, and the writing and performances are great. Titus really carries it for me

"Your plan didn't backfire - it front-watered!"

Annie Labuntur

Looking forward to watching it soon. Love Titus, and Ellie Kemper manages to play kooky and naive while still being endearing and attractive, something that Maria Bamford couldn't always do in Lady Dynamite.

One thing that does bother me from time to time is Jeff Richmond's music. There's too much of it, quirky pizzicato plinky-plonks telling us something wacky's going on.

Namtab

Absolutely fantastic. Don't think the show's ever been as dense or clever as it has been in these six episodes, and still manages to keep up the rapid gag rate, as others have said. Episode 3 is basically US comedy's version of Twin Peaks Episode 8. Jon Hamm has never been on finer form. Ditto on the backpack river scene - they really did make you think they were going to go through with it for a second.

Ferris

Quote from: Namtab on June 02, 2018, 05:30:17 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Don't think the show's ever been as dense or clever as it has been in these six episodes, and still manages to keep up the rapid gag rate, as others have said. Episode 3 is basically US comedy's version of Twin Peaks Episode 8. Jon Hamm has never been on finer form. Ditto on the backpack river scene - they really did make you think they were going to go through with it for a second.

I liked the Of Mice & Men references in this scene

BritishHobo

Yeah they've nailed this season. I think they've done well making sure that Jacquline and Lillian are involved in what Kimmy and Titus are doing. Their separate plots last season were unbearable, but placing them all in the office has pulled back a lot of the show's energy.

New Jack

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on June 02, 2018, 01:53:00 AM

One thing that does bother me from time to time is Jeff Richmond's music. There's too much of it, quirky pizzicato plinky-plonks telling us something wacky's going on.

Had this a bit in 30 Rock, but this mini-season I've had a couple of moments where I've noticed the music... In the negative sense, eg. Not adding to the scene, and one bit had a frigging crescendo over Kimmy's words and it felt too invasive. Tina Fey's fella though so what ya gonna do brother when tinkling slightly naff orchestration runs wild on you?

I don't like the Robot much either, feels a bit shoe horned. If it was the robot from GLOW it would be better, as there's drugs in that robot. Maybe nerds like 'spotting' it, or that's the intention. Bit funnier in these later seasons, mind

her?

How strange. I thought episode 3 was terrible. The Titus bits were hilarious but only made me wish I was watching a 'normal' episode. I loved the other 5 but just found that episode a real slog to get through. That guy was like an even shitter version of the main character from that Lonely Island film.

Small Man Big Horse

The final episodes are now available, I loved the first two (Kimmy's secret affair wish Josh's parents was a real highlight, especially the 69ing joke) but for me the third double length episode wasn't quite as good. It had a lot of strong jokes, but I don't know, there was something about the various characters often being really mean that didn't quite gel with me.

AliasTheCat

On the second new episode of this and very pleased that it's back. Interestingly, I think the biggest laughs this series has got from me have all been puppet based...