Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2001: A Space Odyssey re-issue 2018

Started by surreal, May 30, 2018, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Just noticed that Cineworld in Birmingham (and presumably elsewhere) are showing 2001 on Sunday evening (June 3rd) as a one-off.  Presumably this is the restoration that Christopher Nolan has been involved in, from the original negatives?

Quite tempted to go as never seen it on the big screen before.

bgmnts

I have never seen the film period so I am really tempted.

gatchamandave

Hi bgmnts. Go to it !!! You will enjoy it and come away a happier, more enlightened person. Wish I could go myself.

gepree

Anyone know if the 70mm version of 2001 is worth looking out for?

And if so, are there any showings in Bristol, Bath or Cardiff?

I looked at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues which shows there's an IMAX cinema (Odeon) in Cardiff Bay.

But its website doesn't mention showing 2001: https://www.odeon.co.uk/cinemas/cardiff/3/

Maybe I should just watch my 2001 Blu-Ray at home?

Sebastian Cobb

The GFT announced that they're going to be showing a 70mm print around September so imagine you'd see it around then if it's being shown.

Howj Begg

Showing this Sunday in Wood Green, I'll be there.

Replies From View

I wonder if they will fast-forward the part at the beginning with the fake monkeys just for me.  "DON'T NEED TO SEE THIS BIT, CHEERS.  SEEN MONKEYS BEFORE."

Shit Good Nose

Much as I would dearly love to, in their wisdom both Cineworld and Vue nearest to me are showing it in their small screens.  Bristol Cineworld STILL doesn't have stadium style seating in their small screens, and Longwell Green Vue are showing it in their REALLY small screen which sits about 40 people.  So we're likely talking of repeating the Close Encounters 4K debacle where they projected it incorrectly (I.e. squashed it down) to fit the screen.  And, in the case of Vue, they're charging £17 for the privilege.

Sebastian Cobb

mothman

Give me a shout if a decent showing in/near Bristol comes over the horizon, will you, Nose?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on May 30, 2018, 10:20:36 PM
Give me a shout if a decent showing in/near Bristol comes over the horizon, will you, Nose?

As there appears to be something wrong with Showcase's online booking system, at the moment it looks like Vue Cribbs is the only half decent offering round these parts, but even that's just in one of the larger small screens (so still small).  But that's up to 90mins each way from where I live, so I'm not going to entertain that, especially as they're charging over £20 (£3 more than Vue Longwell Green).

saltysnacks

Cannot tell you how happy I am that my local Showcase is showing this on Monday.

saltysnacks

Quote from: surreal on May 30, 2018, 05:34:46 PM
Just noticed that Cineworld in Birmingham (and presumably elsewhere) are showing 2001 on Sunday evening (June 3rd) as a one-off.  Presumably this is the restoration that Christopher Nolan has been involved in, from the original negatives?

Btw surreal, what film is your profile pic from? I assume it's a film.

Shit Good Nose

saltysnacks

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 30, 2018, 11:15:51 PM
The Matrix isn't it?

Haven't seen it in yonks, it's a gorgeous shot anyway.

Shit Good Nose

I've not seen it since it came out, but, aside from the obvious moments, that scene is about the only thing I remember about it.  Absolutely hated the film.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: surreal on May 30, 2018, 05:34:46 PM

The one that's cropping up in provincial cinemas isn't Nolan's 'destoration', it's a standard re-release. Those screenings demanding top-dollar above might be though, if they're charging extra. It's the standard £4.99 in my local Vue. 

madhair60

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 31, 2018, 08:23:00 AM
The one that's cropping up in provincial cinemas isn't Nolan's 'destoration', it's a standard re-release. Those screenings demanding top-dollar above might be though, if they're charging extra. It's the standard £4.99 in my local Vue. 

Sorry where the fuck is your cinema that it's a fiver a go? Fucking NARNIA????????

buzby

The new 70mm print is showing at FACT in Liverpool between the 29th of June and 6th of July, one performance per day starting 7.30pm with a 15 minute intermission. Standard ticket prices apply (i.e. £12.20 for non members, the robbing bastards). The standard re-release is on this Sunday for the same price (I saw it last year though, so I'm waiting for the 70mm showing).

Wet Blanket

Quote from: madhair60 on May 31, 2018, 08:43:44 AM
Sorry where the fuck is your cinema that it's a fiver a go? Fucking NARNIA????????

Alas, very much the opposite. If you live in a shit-tip, rapidly declining post-industrial wasteland one of the few benefits is that places like cinemas become very cheap before they inevitably close down. The Odeon is only £4.25, but the screen isn't as big as the Vue.

surreal

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 30, 2018, 11:17:24 PM
Haven't seen it in yonks, it's a gorgeous shot anyway.

Yeah, it's The Matrix.  I just liked the shot, and the gif version is lovely.

hedgehog90

Exeter Picture yourself is showing this on Monday, bu tthe last few films I've seen there though have been marred by shite audio. It's so quiet I occasionally need subtitles to hear the dialogue.
I would pay double to see this if I could be guaranteed a massive screen and big fuck-off sound.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 31, 2018, 10:12:51 AM
Exeter Picture yourself is showing this on Monday, bu tthe last few films I've seen there though have been marred by shite audio. It's so quiet I occasionally need subtitles to hear the dialogue.
I would pay double to see this if I could be guaranteed a massive screen and big fuck-off sound.

York City Screen is the same, it must be a policy of the Picturehouse chain. They don't turn the lights all the way down either. I'd pay extra for special 'loud' screenings of films.

Captain Crunch

The Vue at Cribbs is £6.74 a ticket but for some unfathomable reason they add two child tickets automatically bringing it to over £20.  Very odd.  A while back when they were doing a bit of work to the front you could just walk in, not sure if it's like that now.

If Vue is not you cup of tea the Curzon have it next Wednesday:

https://www.curzon.org.uk/film/1683

Or there's the Little Cinema in Bath:

https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/The_Little/film/2001-a-space-odyssey

Nothing at the Watershed, they've booked up the week with that season about the old woman experiencing pain and yearning.  Again. 

surreal

Broad Street Birmingham have this on the tiniest screen in the building - all half-decent seats have long gone so I'm going to stick with the blu-ray I guess. 

This is twice I've missed an under-promoted re-issue - I was REALLY pissed off that I also missed The Dam Busters a couple of weeks ago, that would have been fantastic.  Luckily I've bought the special edition Blu-ray which is out next week.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: surreal on May 31, 2018, 12:20:10 PM
Broad Street Birmingham have this on the tiniest screen in the building - all half-decent seats have long gone so I'm going to stick with the blu-ray I guess. 

This is twice I've missed an under-promoted re-issue - I was REALLY pissed off that I also missed The Dam Busters a couple of weeks ago, that would have been fantastic.  Luckily I've bought the special edition Blu-ray which is out next week.

It's getting a very wide release, not just art cinemas, and not just Sunday. I live in the sticks and, if I had a mind to, could see it somewhere at least once a week for the next few weeks. I can't believe there aren't more cinemas in big old Birmingham screening it

Replies From View

Nolan's 'destoration'

Could somebody please explain this to me?  From the screengrabs I've seen, it looks like it's either been filtered to suit modern teal and orange tastebuds, or it's just an unwashed, yellowing filmprint that Kubrick wouldn't have been aiming for either.  Can anyone explain?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 31, 2018, 10:41:54 AM
The Vue at Cribbs is £6.74 a ticket but for some unfathomable reason they add two child tickets automatically bringing it to over £20.  Very odd.  A while back when they were doing a bit of work to the front you could just walk in, not sure if it's like that now.

If Vue is not you cup of tea the Curzon have it next Wednesday:

https://www.curzon.org.uk/film/1683

Or there's the Little Cinema in Bath:

https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/The_Little/film/2001-a-space-odyssey

Nothing at the Watershed, they've booked up the week with that season about the old woman experiencing pain and yearning.  Again.

Even if they were a fiver, I seriously wouldn't consider either the Little Theatre or the Watershed for a film which demands the largest screen possible.  And the Curzon is even smaller than those isn't it (years since I've been there)?  You may as well dig up or empty whatever remains of Kubrick's corpse and take a massive dump all over it.

Replies From View

"A unique experience for people who lack an arse and/or the corpse of Stanley Kubrick."