Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2001: A Space Odyssey re-issue 2018

Started by surreal, May 30, 2018, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

They all lack an arse and are the corpse of Stanley Kubrick by the time...etc etc.

Howj Begg

Might well wait for the BFI Imax showings in July tbh... Bookings open on 12th June. Does anyone know, do these things tend to sell out in minutes??

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=2001aspaceodyssey50thanniversary&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

mothman

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 31, 2018, 10:41:54 AM
The Vue at Cribbs is £6.74 a ticket but for some unfathomable reason they add two child tickets automatically bringing it to over £20.  Very odd.  A while back when they were doing a bit of work to the front you could just walk in, not sure if it's like that now.

Round the corner from me, really. Hmm. It's just finding the time.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 31, 2018, 01:37:56 PM
Even if they were a fiver, I seriously wouldn't consider either the Little Theatre or the Watershed for a film which demands the largest screen possible.  And the Curzon is even smaller than those isn't it (years since I've been there)?  You may as well dig up or empty whatever remains of Kubrick's corpse and take a massive dump all over it.

I've seen the film twice, both times on a 28" CRT TV via SCART (240p) from a highly compressed 700mb AVI source.
In retrospect though, I should have dug up Stanley' Kubrick's remains, pissed, shat and vomited all over it, shagged it, burnt it, then carved swastikas into what ever remained.
Twice!!!

Sebastian Cobb

Aren't screen sizes roughly proportional to the seating area of the screens? I actually prefer the smallest screen in my local cinema as you get a better and proportionally bigger view in the middle rows.

Alberon

I did see 2001 on the big screen once. It was in the late seventies or early eighties (probably the latter) so I was somewhere between eight and fourteen years old when I saw it and I thought it was fantastic. The print was probably rubbish though.

I'd read the book by that point and the Lost Worlds of 2001 which showed Clarke's and Kubrick's development process.

itsfredtitmus

I just got my old sony k800i out and watched it on there from the smallest file i could find

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Alberon on May 31, 2018, 09:59:58 PM
The print was probably rubbish though.

I've not seen a good print of anything recently. Probably a mixture of them being kept in circulation longer and the projectors tearing through them because they're not being serviced regularly like they were when they were in daily use.

mothman

If the tealising and and orangeification (there really needs to be a proper word for this phenomenon) demonstrated in that link earlier is a true depiction, then that's a concern. I presume it's the 2007 BluRay that I have, in which case that might just have to do.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 31, 2018, 06:45:22 PM
Aren't screen sizes roughly proportional to the seating area of the screens? I actually prefer the smallest screen in my local cinema as you get a better and proportionally bigger view in the middle rows.

If you're watching a little drama or comedy film, then yeah.  But not when the film in question relies so heavily on widescreen visuals.  I saw Blade Runner 2049 on the Vue superscreen, a normal (medium) sized screen at Cineworld, and at the Little Theatre in Bath, and there was just no contest - the superscreen was vastly superior in every way.  I saw the 4K restoration of Close Encounters in a small Cineworld screen and it was properly dreadful.  Admittedly a large part of that was due to the fact that they were either projecting it incorrectly, or had taken it upon themselves to squish it down to better fit the screen they were showing it on, but either way you were just left longing for a jumbotron.

Also, best will in the world, the sound in a small screen will never come close to replicating a decent 7/9.1 set-up in a big screen, I don't care what anyone says.  And sound is another big part of 2001.

Sebastian Cobb

You keep mentioning Vue and Cineworld as if they're some benchmark for good. They're not, they're the spoons of cinema. When 3d was popular they never removed the polarisers for 2d stuff so everything looked washed out and shit because it was 30% dimmer.

Wet Blanket

They might be unsophisticated but they tend to have nice big screens, good, powerful sound set-ups and properly dark auditoriums. Cool art-houses can be very variable on all three counts, even if you can buy a artisan dark ale and a panino in the bar.

The Everyman chain seem decent, however. The new one in York pisses all over the Picturehouse. Nice big screens, sofas, beers. And they've done  a good job of restoring a tatty art-deco Odeon that had become a bit of a nasty flea-pit.

Replies From View

Why don't people who love oversized screens save money by just sitting too close to a normal-sized screen?

And why don't you marry blindness if you hate your eyes so much?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2018, 11:33:41 AM
Why don't people who love oversized screens save money by just sitting too close to a normal-sized screen?

And why don't you marry blindness if you hate your eyes so much?

It's almost as if people who value massive screens are content with pabulum most of the time.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 01, 2018, 11:08:34 AM
You keep mentioning Vue and Cineworld as if they're some benchmark for good.

No, they're clearly not and they're clearly shit and expensive (but then so are plenty of independent/art house cinemas I've been to).  I mention them because, for most of us at least, they are the only places that have large screens and a decent sound system.  If I'm going to see a film that benefits the immersive atmosphere of a large screen and booming sound system - let's use sci-fi as a general good example, but also chuck in things like Malick, other Kubrick films, Jaws and numerous others - then I want to see it on the sort of size cinema screen it was originally made for (let's not forget that whilst most fleapits and old style cinemas had only one or two screens, they were MASSIVE screens).  I don't want to pay the same price (or near as dammit) to see it in a place with a small screen and stereo sound system where I may as well wait a while, pay less and watch it in the comfort of my own home on blu ray.  (for the purposes of my point, I'm ignoring all the cunt audients that tend to go to the multiplexes these days)

Also you mentioned the 3D-2D thing - that problem is not limited to the 'plexes.

colacentral

I've booked tickets for Sunday despite the potential colour issue, which almost put me off. Hopefully it's just the trailer that looks like that. Why allow a colour blind cunt like Nolan to take charge of this project? I remember reading that the colour timing of his Batman blu rays was badly off from their theatrical releases, wonder if that was his doing.

AsparagusTrevor

Not wanting to sound like I'm defending Nolan, I've read around and it seems that this master has been done film to film with no digital intermediate, so there should be no footage available digitally for that trailer to use. Supposedly no colour 'correction' or other tinkering has taken. Hopefully the trailer has been cut together and graded by a third party from previously available footage.

saltysnacks

I've booked 3 seats for myself so nobody can sit next to me. This is an event, I dont care what colour the film is.

buzby

Quote from: colacentral on June 01, 2018, 04:42:01 PM
I've booked tickets for Sunday despite the potential colour issue, which almost put me off. Hopefully it's just the trailer that looks like that. Why allow a colour blind cunt like Nolan to take charge of this project? I remember reading that the colour timing of his Batman blu rays was badly off from their theatrical releases, wonder if that was his doing.
You won't be seeing the new 70mm print if it's this Sunday you have booked for - they new prints don't come to the UK until the end of June/beginning of July. The version being shown this weekend is the 2014 digital transfer.

colacentral

Ah right. I knew it wasn't 70 mm but assumed it was a digital transfer or whatever.

Replies From View

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 02, 2018, 06:38:50 PM
I've booked 3 seats for myself so nobody can sit next to me.

The joke will be on you when you accidentally forget to sit in the middle one.

St_Eddie

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 02, 2018, 06:38:50 PM
I dont care what colour the film is.

Well, aren't you just the progressive one?

jake thunder

Seen this on Thursday. Assumed it was the new restoration / transfer. Feel totally ripped off now. Good movie tho.

Question: the stargate slit scan section with the 6 diamonds. How they do that?

hedgehog90

Quote from: jake thunder on June 03, 2018, 08:45:25 AM
Question: the stargate slit scan section with the 6 diamonds. How they do that?

I think this video covers it nicely:
https://youtu.be/6EKreQ5HD4w

I highly recommend the rest of Cinematyler's 2001 series, it's ace.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on June 02, 2018, 11:33:51 PM
You won't be seeing the new 70mm print if it's this Sunday you have booked for - they new prints don't come to the UK until the end of June/beginning of July. The version being shown this weekend is the 2014 digital transfer.

I thought there had been a new 4k scan recently overseen by Leon Vitali? The GFT has it down as '50th Anniversary New Digital Restoration.'

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 03, 2018, 11:13:22 AM
I thought there had been a new 4k scan recently overseen by Leon Vitali? The GFT has it down as '50th Anniversary New Digital Restoration.'
Ah right, FACT still had it down as the 2014 transfer on their website. That makes more sense as it's to promote the the new UHD BluRay release.

Replies From View

Why are they trying to confuse us with multiple 2001 restorations?

Ant Farm Keyboard

For the 50th anniversary, they are planning to release an UHD version, based on a new 4K master.

Before that, which may explain why the UHD has been delayed, Christopher Nolan oversaw new 70mm prints struck from the 1999 preservation, using only analog tools image-wise (I understand that the sound is a digital transfer). These prints are shown in some of the few surviving cinemas with 70mm projectors. I saw it last Tuesday in Paris, in the Arlequin cinema (there may be something like five cinémas with 70mm projectors in Paris, the Arlequin near Saint-Germain-des-Prés, the Grand Action near the Latin Quarter, the Gaumont Marignan on the Champs-Élysées, the Grand Rex, reportedly the largest screen in Paris and the largest theater in all of Europe, and the Cinémathèque, the French film library). The screening was anything but revelatory if you ever saw it in a clean 70mm copy, but that was precisely the intent, to get new, fine 70mm copies used for a few screenings.

This fall, we'll get the UHD Blu-ray, presumably based on the 2014 transfer by Vitali, but Warner preferred to create an event first, with press conferences and interviews handled by Christopher Nolan, plus the various screenings.

Wet Blanket

Well I went to see it earlier and thought it were grand, no matter what the vintage of the restoration. In fact it had the 1980s/1990s film certificate at the beginning, so might have been from yonks back, looked pretty good to me though. Had the full overture and intermission.

Someone had brought some very young kids, all looking between about 8 and 10. They behaved themselves throughout but as the credits rolled one of them complained that the second half was pointless and he hated it, and his friends/siblings agreed. Daft bastards. A woman next to me cried when HAL got switched off too, which is more like it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 03, 2018, 08:20:18 PM
Well I went to see it earlier and thought it were grand, no matter what the vintage of the restoration. In fact it had the 1980s/1990s film certificate at the beginning, so might have been from yonks back, looked pretty good to me though. Had the full overture and intermission.

Someone had brought some very young kids, all looking between about 8 and 10. They behaved themselves throughout but as the credits rolled one of them complained that the second half was pointless and he hated it, and his friends/siblings agreed. Daft bastards. A woman next to me cried when HAL got switched off too, which is more like it.

"The bits with the monkey costumes in the quarry; that were great.  That were fresh.  Then it went all space ships and I were like 'YAWN.  Been there, done that in Lego Star Wars, mate'."