Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2001: A Space Odyssey re-issue 2018

Started by surreal, May 30, 2018, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 13, 2018, 07:21:47 PM
Not every thread has to turn into a stand-up brawl, you know.

You starting, pal?!  'Cause them's fighting words!

colacentral

He obviously took time out of an afternoon, 3 hours or so, to watch it, and didn't find out it was what he was expecting until the thing started. He's entitled to watch it and still expect a refund - if he walked out his time would have been wasted and all he'd get for it would be breaking even.

Cineworld are shite, I had loads of issues with the Didsbury one when I lived there - wrong films playing, sound not working, nobody staffing the counters, etc.

Had one fiasco when their systems went down so they sold tickets with a pen and paper, but didn't write any seat numbers down and over sold the screening, so a load of arguments broke out as people who'd booked beforehand were walking in with seat reservations and there were no empty seats to shuffle around. When you get stuff like that you inevitably end up taking the issue to a 17 year old who can only offer you a free ticket to another film, where something else will fuck up. Awful company.

Keebleman

I think this is the third or fourth time I've complained to Cineworld.  The real shame is that of all the multiplex chains, it's the only one that even tries to cater for buffs.  One of the great movie-going experiences of my life was watching Lawrence of Arabia, digitally restored and on an enormous screen, in the Cardiff cinema.

Wet Blanket

I saw it at Vue and it had the old certificate. I suppose it is technically a re-release of the early noughties restoration, but all of the cinemas have happily let punters assume it's the new Christopher Nolan one.

I think you'd have more of a case if it had been literally a 20 year old print that was faded and scratched, but it was obviously a new digital one that happened to be taken from a previous restoration.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 07:56:24 AM
Dads really do excel at being "bloody dads!!!"  I've had a couple of such incidents at the cinema with mine; not phone related but rather my Dad angrily commentating about rude people in the seats near us, to the point where said people can hear him, which just makes me feel horribly tense and unable to enjoy the film at all.  I tell my Dad that we should just move but nope, he's not having any of it.  "Why should we move, THEY should SHUT UP!".  Bloody Dad!!!  I just want to watch a film, I'd sooner not get stabbed.

He's right though.  Moving is letting the bullies win.

Replies From View

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 14, 2018, 10:28:04 AM
I saw it at Vue and it had the old certificate. I suppose it is technically a re-release of the early noughties restoration, but all of the cinemas have happily let punters assume it's the new Christopher Nolan one.

I think you'd have more of a case if it had been literally a 20 year old print that was faded and scratched, but it was obviously a new digital one that happened to be taken from a previous restoration.

Isn't it comparable to going to the cinema in 2007 specifically to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut and realising once it's started that they're actually screening the 1992 Director's Cut?  The new version is being advertised specifically for its difference from previous/other versions and it's not unreasonable to expect to see the version that they're promoting.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 15, 2018, 08:52:07 PM
He's right though.  Moving is letting the bullies win.

Of course but it's not as though inconsiderate cunts like that are liable to shut up when someone angrily protests (and in this case, they didn't.  They just laughed).  We were at a mostly empty screening.  It would have been far easier for us to simply move to different seats.

mothman

Having not had a working DVD player since our PS4 gave up the ghost, I've just been gifted a BR player by a friend (he'd gotten a 3D player bundled with his hew TV). So of course once I set it up I popped my 2001 Blu-Ray in (still in wrapper, I thought I'd watched it in my old laptop but obviously not). Watched the first half hour, it just flew by. I might just have to go see the restoration if it's ever on a good screen nearby.

Howj Begg

IMAX Waterloo screenings are this week... I'll be there on Thursday.

mothman

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 01, 2018, 06:37:42 PM
Hmm... think on this, I shall.

Nah, mate.  That's a mishmash of Dark Star and The Empire Strikes Back, not 2001: A Space Odyssey.

mothman

I didn't put that much thought into it TBF.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 01, 2018, 09:16:02 PM
I didn't put that much thought into it TBF.

I think that you should put yourself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Dex Sawash

USA doesn't seem to be showing 2001 anywhere.  NY and LA back in the spring but that's it. Bastards.

Howj Begg

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 01, 2018, 09:35:43 PM
I think that you should put yourself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The Dawn of Internet. Man learns to troll.

mothman

I'm cetainly feeling an inexplicable urge to hit him with a random thighbone right now.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 02, 2018, 10:30:22 PM
I'm cetainly feeling an inexplicable urge to hit him with a random thighbone right now.

You're likely well aware of this and were merely replying in kind but just in case that you're not; I was quoting one of HAL's lines from 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Sorry, it just occurred to me that my reference was slightly esoteric and may just have come off as being out of left field and rude.

Quote from: 2001: A Space Odyssey"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I can think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." ~ HAL 9000

mothman

Accepted. Though still feeling residual urge to pull a few tapes out of your logic banks.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 02, 2018, 11:21:05 PM
Accepted. Though still feeling residual urge to pull a few tapes out of your logic banks.

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, mothman. Mothman, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 02, 2018, 11:29:29 PM
I'm afraid. I'm afraid, mothman. Mothman, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

The dawn of alt-right man

mothman

"Milo, Milo, give me your pogrom do, I'm half crazy all for your hate of Jew..."

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on July 03, 2018, 08:50:20 AM
The dawn of alt-right man

Quote from: 2001: A Space Odyssey"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid." ~ HAL 9000 (said as Dave is pulling the tapes from HAL's logic banks)

Mister Six

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 01, 2018, 10:07:29 PM
USA doesn't seem to be showing 2001 anywhere.  NY and LA back in the spring but that's it. Bastards.

One of the cinemas up from Union Square in Manhattan (I forget the name) was showing it last week. Think it might still be showing up to Thursday.

buzby

Point of order, lads - the HAL computers use holographic memory stored three-dimensionally within retangular glass blocks, not tapes.

Going to see the new 70mm print tonight, BTW.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 01:39:12 PM

I am not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting I didn't notice you were quoting one of the most famous phrases in cinema? For shame

I was just making a little joke about how that quote sounds a bit like a stereotypical alt-righter (mind going, being afraid) and linking it with the "dawn of man" section of 2001. It is a shit joke I admit but it seemed funny at the time.

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2018, 03:23:56 PM
I am not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting I didn't notice you were quoting one of the most famous phrases in cinema? For shame

I was just making a little joke about how that quote sounds a bit like a stereotypical alt-righter (mind going, being afraid) and linking it with the "dawn of man" section of 2001. It is a shit joke I admit but it seemed funny at the time.

I suspected that was the case.  However, I feared that like mothman, you may have failed to recognise the quote and actually considered me to be an alt-right arsehole, whereas in reality I'm not alt-right.  Merely an arsehole.

Howj Begg

Can you people stop having pedantic dust-ups and focus on how awesome this film is?

I cannot wait to see it again tomrrow.

mothman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 04:25:36 PM
I suspected that was the case.  However, I feared that like mothman, you may have failed to recognise the quote and actually considered me to be an alt-right arsehole, whereas in reality I'm not alt-right.  Merely an arsehole.

We know. ;-)

And that little ditty popped into my head so I just had to share it!

Howj Begg

Email just now warning me that it will not be an IMAX showing and "will not fill the entirety of the screen". *Shrug*

Replies From View

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 04, 2018, 08:33:04 PM
Email has just now warning me that it will not be an IMAX showing and "will not fill the entirety of the screen". *Shrug*

It's a brand new pan and scan version.  Enjoy!!