Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:51:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you always get confused which is which

Started by George White, May 30, 2018, 08:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Reversal of Fortune and Six Degrees of Separation - both blandly elegant films about rich Americans from the same era, always get stumped on which one has Julie Hagerty as one of the Dark Shadows cast (the US equiv of a Doctor Who companion) and which has Ian McKellen.

Shit Good Nose

bgmnts

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 30, 2018, 10:57:32 PM
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Facetiousness aside, it's fairly easy to tell them apart, I reckon.  One is a masterpiece and the other is overrated trash, which entirely misses the point of the original's setting and has a laughable appearance from a zombie baby.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2018, 12:49:31 AM
Facetiousness aside, it's fairly easy to tell them apart, I reckon.  One is a masterpiece and the other is overrated trash, which entirely misses the point of the original's setting and has a laughable appearance from a zombie baby.

Couldnt disagree with you more.

Dawn of the Dead is exactly how you do a remake.

The johnny cash intro alone is worth it.

zomgmouse

Ben-Hur and Spartacus sometimes.
They're both set in Ancient Rome with muscly men and have scenes on slave galleys and are really long.

Dex Sawash

Fifth Element and Bladerunner

Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 31, 2018, 12:54:39 AM
Couldnt disagree with you more.

Dawn of the Dead is exactly how you do a remake.

You and everyone else feels the same way, which is why I said that the remake is overrated because my taste in film is boss.  So there.

Ominous Dave

-Basic Instinct
-Fatal Attraction
-Indecent Proposal

Is the one where the rabbit gets boiled the same one with Sharon Stone doing the leg-crossing thing? I've no idea. Also I tend to confuse Robert Redford with Michael Douglas which doesn't help.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Ominous Dave on May 31, 2018, 05:16:27 AM
-Basic Instinct
-Fatal Attraction
-Indecent Proposal

Is the one where the rabbit gets boiled the same one with Sharon Stone doing the leg-crossing thing? I've no idea. Also I tend to confuse Robert Redford with Michael Douglas which doesn't help.
Robbed my post. Still don't know which ones which

I always get these mixed up:
the last seduction
sweet hereafter
exotica

I thought The Warriors was by Carpenter for a while, egregious I know

popcorn

I keep mixing up Return of the Jedi and The Last Jedi. I have to concentrate to determine which is which.

-Basic Instinct
-Fatal Attraction
-Indecent Proposal

The best ever title for an erotic thriller is Body of Evidence. This is a real film and I don't know anything about it except that it stars Madonna. I'm just very pleased that it exists.

idunnosomename

Is this the one with the laser moving towards his knackers

biggytitbo

George White

I used to think Mephisto was by Fassbinder.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2018, 04:52:48 AM
You and everyone else feels the same way, which is why I said that the remake is overrated because my taste in film is boss.  So there.

Not me, I think the remake is trash. I saw it when it first came out and then never again. All of Zack Snyder's output leaves a bad taste in my mouth though (...)

idunnosomename

Wayne's World / Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2018, 04:52:48 AM

Nah it's the perfect high adrenaline action zombie flick.

Although I had no idea it was written by James Gunn until recently.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I reckon the original is overrated. The satire of consumerism could have been jotted down on a postage stamp: "They think the shopping mall is great, but they're actually trapped there!" Trenchant insight there, George. The rest of the film just isn't particularly good. Day of the Dead is much better.

bgmnts

Captain Rhodes is certainly the biggest bastard in zombie fiction.

"Choke on emmmmm!!"

Icehaven

All the Marvel films
All the Stars Warses
All the Lord of the Ringses and The Hobbits
All the Indiana Joneses (apart from the recent one).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 31, 2018, 11:25:43 AM
Wayne's World / Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

That one's easy - one of them has a sequel which is better.

...oh, wait...

George White

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 31, 2018, 10:51:05 AM
actually same

Until five minutes ago, I thought Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure and National Lampoon's Holiday Reunion were the same film. I thought that Bryan Cranston had played Cousin Eddie's even worse relative, when no he merely plays a hippie-dippy imitation.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 31, 2018, 01:46:38 PM
That one's easy - one of them has a sequel which is better.

...oh, wait...
I get them mixed up in a four-way clusterfuck.

They're all good tho

Glebe

I always get Spaceballs mixes up with The Star Wars!

St_Eddie

-Basic Instinct
-Fatal Attraction
-Indecent Proposal

Good call.  I always get these films mixed up too.

Quote from: popcorn on May 31, 2018, 06:21:28 AM
I keep mixing up Return of the Jedi and The Last Jedi. I have to concentrate to determine which is which.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 31, 2018, 10:48:21 AM
Not me, I think the remake is trash. I saw it when it first came out and then never again. All of Zack Snyder's output leaves a bad taste in my mouth though (...)

I always knew that I liked you and now you've gone done and reaffirmed my reason as to why.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 31, 2018, 01:37:38 PM
I reckon the original is overrated.

Ooohhhh, wash ye mouth out with soap!

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 31, 2018, 01:37:38 PMDay of the Dead is much better.

Ooohhhh, take that soap back out of ye mouth!

Ferris

Not a film, but Gene Wilder & Dustin Hoffman.