Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you always get confused which is which

Started by George White, May 30, 2018, 08:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Illusionist and The Prestige.  Watched them both.  Didn't understand either.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on June 01, 2018, 03:24:44 PM
The Illusionist and The Prestige.  Watched them both.  Didn't understand either.

I get these confused as well. I watched them one after the other and thought they were both shit.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 01, 2018, 03:52:25 PM
I get these confused as well. I watched them one after the other and thought they were both shit.

:-) you won't find me disagreeing!  Disappointed with them both.

...and I almost forgot; the following year there was Mitchell & Webb's "Magicians".  I don't get that one confused, but it did neatly complete the trilogy of 'not-very-good films about two magicians".

St_Eddie

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on June 01, 2018, 03:55:26 PM
...and I almost forgot; the following year there was Mitchell & Webb's "Magicians".  I don't get that one confused, but it did neatly complete the trilogy of 'not-very-good films about two magicians".

Aw, I really like Magicians.  It's sweet, funny and good fun to watch.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 01, 2018, 06:58:33 PM
Aw, I really like Magicians.  It's sweet, funny and good fun to watch.

I agree that it's sweet, and I did find it good-natured, but just couldn't find it funny (and I loved M&W at the time, too)

Steven

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on June 01, 2018, 03:24:44 PM

Illunsionist: He fakes the Duchess' murder to get the Crown Prince deposed.

Prestige: He really kills himself at the end of each performance only to be replaced by a copy via Tesla's gubbins, only the other enemy magician who he puts in prison for his set-up but real murder actually did the trick with a secret twin who manages to help him exact revenge.

Those two came out at almost the same time which also caused a lot of confusion about them.

mothman

I quite like The Prestige, though it has issues. Mainly that Christian Bale, who is British, cannot do a British accent.

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on June 01, 2018, 09:07:25 PM
I quite like The Prestige, though it has issues. Mainly that Christian Bale, who is British, cannot do a British accent.

He was born in Wales but moved to America pretty young so he's got a bit of a cross accent and I guess he just can't switch properly.

saltysnacks

Point Break and Speed. I just keep in mind that Keanu has short hair in Point Break and long hair in Speed.

George White

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 02, 2018, 12:20:28 AM
He was born in Wales but moved to America pretty young so he's got a bit of a cross accent and I guess he just can't switch properly.
He's sort of like Roddy McDowall - successful child actor in Britain who became successful enough to move to the US, and kind of never looked back, though McDowall always stayed quasi-British, never quite ever convinced as an American.

mothman

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 02, 2018, 12:20:28 AM

But all the same, it says something when David Bowie - fourth in the accentually-challenged stakes, after the holy trinity of Connery, Arnie and Van Damme - ISN'T responsible for the worst accent in the film. Which makes me like it all the more.

Replies From View

Logan's Run, Hudson Hawk and The Running Man.

Out of those three, I have only seen The Running Man, yet I still mix them up.

Endicott

What? Two are dystopian sci-fi, and the third is an action comedy, set in the present. Ah, but which one?

DocDaneeka

I always get confused between Mimic and The Relic. They're both monstery "horror" films from 1997 but I think the main issue is they both end in ic.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2018, 03:17:23 PM
Logan's Run, Hudson Hawk and The Running Man.

Facetiousness aside, it's fairly easy to tell them apart, I reckon.  One is a masterpiece and the other is overrated trash, which entirely misses the point of the original's setting and has a laughable appearance from a zombie baby.  The last one is entirely nonexistent.

Sebastian Cobb

Ominous Dave

-Midnight Cowboy
-Midnight Express
-Midnight Run

Love the scene where Dustin Hoffman dies on the bus after Robert De Niro helps him escape from the Turkish prison. 

itsfredtitmus

dust devil / iguana
capturing the friedmans / dear zachary (disturbing documentaries from the 2000s that everybody asks if youve seen)
the big blue / whale rider
miracle mile / one from the heart
soylent green / night moves

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 03, 2018, 02:14:02 AM
fight club / drop dead fred
:(

St_Eddie

itsfredtitmus

funny enough i used to get drop dead fred and freddy got fingered mixed up

St_Eddie

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 03, 2018, 03:13:12 AM
funny enough i used to get drop dead fred and freddy got fingered mixed up

That's not so hard to believe.  In many ways, they're quite similar.

itsfredtitmus

maligned 90s + 2000s anarchic comedies from esteemed comedians that people either put in the "so bad its good" or "unfairly judged masterpiece" holes

St_Eddie

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 03, 2018, 04:44:17 AM
maligned 90s + 2000s anarchic comedies from esteemed comedians that people either put in the "so bad its good" or "unfairly judged masterpiece" holes

Yippedy yippedy, yip, yip, yip.

George White

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 03, 2018, 02:13:20 AM
Sleuth / Frenzy
Sleuth and Shamus.

For Whom the Bell Tolls and When Eight Bells Toll.

itsfredtitmus

When people were talking about Green Room I kept getting it mixed up with Panic Room

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 03, 2018, 01:38:19 PM
How?
two of the biggest directors since who knows
overshadowed by their other work
two twist ending films i think
"the"
easy when you haven't seen them really