Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me identify this vague 80‘s memory

Started by hamfist, May 30, 2018, 09:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamfist

I remember watching a film in the mid-80's and my brother and I enjoyed it so much we rewound the tape and watched it over again right away.

I have no clue what it was - only a couple of memories :

- There were FBI agents in it who sang ,,we are the fbi, the fbi, the fbi" to the tune of ,here we go round the mulberry bush'

- There were radio controlled robots or cars or something in a big action set piece near the end of the film

That's really all I've got. Can anyone identify it ?

Glebe

Steven

TOO MUCH: The Robot With A Heart from 1987 has a huge setpiece with hundreds of radio-controlled robots attacking all the baddies at the end, though I havent seen it since it was repeated on Sky a few times in the 90s when I was a kid to remember if the "We are the FBI" bit is in it, though its set in Japan.

hamfist

Quote from: Steven on May 30, 2018, 09:55:23 PM
TOO MUCH: The Robot With A Heart from 1987 has a huge setpiece with hundreds of radio-controlled robots attacking all the baddies at the end, though I havent seen it since it was repeated on Sky a few times in the 90s when I was a kid to remember if the "We are the FBI" bit is in it, though its set in Japan.

wow Steven thanks a lot  - that looks really familiar, I had a browse through and it seems hard to imagine the FBI bit being in it based on the tone and location - but this is really stirring a memory here - the radio controlled robots thing looks spot on.! I wonder if my mind has mixed two different things into one memory. When I get time I'll stick this on in the background and listen out for the fbi !

Steven

Quote from: hamfist on May 30, 2018, 10:17:22 PM
wow Steven thanks a lot  - that looks really familiar, I had a browse through and it seems hard to imagine the FBI bit being in it based on the tone and location - but this is really stirring a memory here - the radio controlled robots thing looks spot on.! I wonder if my mind has mixed two different things into one memory. When I get time I'll stick this on in the background and listen out for the fbi !

I recall you bringing this up various times down the years, but it was only last year the vague memory of this movie jumped into my head and after a quick google managed to find out what it was, though I only watched the big robot army setpiece really as thats what stuck in my head. Id imagine the "we are the FBI" thing might be from something else.

Dex Sawash

I thought I had the answer but could only vaguely remember quaaludes from the 80s

hamfist

Quote from: Steven on May 30, 2018, 10:30:10 PM
I recall you bringing this up various times down the years, but it was only last year the vague memory of this movie jumped into my head and after a quick google managed to find out what it was, though I only watched the big robot army setpiece really as thats what stuck in my head. Id imagine the "we are the FBI" thing might be from something else.

You have a great memory - unlike me !

TM is really close, might try and follow it in the background at work today...

Steven

I also have one or more of these but the one that just sprang to mind must have been from the late 80s or very early 90s. I recall it was American and featured a group of adults and possibly kids going camping, it was a comedy and me and my freinds rented it out a bunch of times - they get attacked by various maladies and animals to increasing comedic extents, I just recall one of the characters complaining he never wanted to go camping out there among the something something "and foxes farts!"

Not Ernest Goes To Camp or anything that obvious.

The other was a cartoon of a similar period that I think was the name of a girl, fantasy type genre comedy, she could turn into a black cat. There was some aristorcrat foil character who wore a wig and would write love poetry to some porker called Petunia Piglet, cue him starting a love poem: "Oh Petunia Piglet, you flip my wiglet!"

Dex Sawash

Steven

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 02, 2018, 01:19:29 PM
The Great Outdoors?

That's a decent guess. I think I remember this seperately, particularly the bear stuff but you never know, the mind plays tricks. I'll watch it again as I definitely haven't seen it since the same period and see if the "foxes farts" line is in it. Though I knew who John Candy & Dan Aykroyd were from an early age so would imagine I would remember they were in it, but you never know.

mothman

There's another film, it's on the tip of my tongue, and it involves camping and is from the right time period. Damned if I can remember the name! If I could recall who was in it, that might help. There was somebody I know in it, but so far my wild guesses (Albert Brooks, Jim Belushi) haven't worked out. I'm reasonably certain it wasn't The Great Outdoors.

Also just looked here, but nothing fits the bill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_vacationing

George White

Quote from: Steven on June 02, 2018, 12:55:40 PM
I also have one or more of these but the one that just sprang to mind must have been from the late 80s or very early 90s. I recall it was American and featured a group of adults and possibly kids going camping, it was a comedy and me and my freinds rented it out a bunch of times - they get attacked by various maladies and animals to increasing comedic extents, I just recall one of the characters complaining he never wanted to go camping out there among the something something "and foxes farts!"

Not Ernest Goes To Camp or anything that obvious.

The other was a cartoon of a similar period that I think was the name of a girl, fantasy type genre comedy, she could turn into a black cat. There was some aristorcrat foil character who wore a wig and would write love poetry to some porker called Petunia Piglet, cue him starting a love poem: "Oh Petunia Piglet, you flip my wiglet!"

When Nature Calls?
Oddballs?
One of the Meatballs films?

Famous Mortimer

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: hamfist on May 30, 2018, 09:47:41 PM
I remember watching a film in the mid-80's and my brother and I enjoyed it so much we rewound the tape and watched it over again right away.

I have no clue what it was - only a couple of memories :

- There were FBI agents in it who sang ,,we are the fbi, the fbi, the fbi" to the tune of ,here we go round the mulberry bush'

- There were radio controlled robots or cars or something in a big action set piece near the end of the film

That's really all I've got. Can anyone identify it ?
Almost certainly not this, but "J-Men Forever"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6wf1OuyQGc

NurseNugent

Quote from: mothman on June 02, 2018, 05:11:10 PM
There's another film, it's on the tip of my tongue, and it involves camping and is from the right time period. Damned if I can remember the name! If I could recall who was in it, that might help. There was somebody I know in it, but so far my wild guesses (Albert Brooks, Jim Belushi) haven't worked out. I'm reasonably certain it wasn't The Great Outdoors.

Also just looked here, but nothing fits the bill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_vacationing

It's not Packing it In is ? It used to get shown quite a lot on TV in the 80s. It's not camping though it's about relocating to the countryside.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086071/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Steven on June 02, 2018, 12:55:40 PM
A quick Google search reveals a few comedy options.

Troop Beverly Hills (Shelley Long)
Camp Nowhere (Christopher Lloyd, M Emmet Walsh and Kate Mulgrew)
Bushwhacked (Daniel Stern)
The Wrong Guys (Richard Lewis, Richard Belzer)

mothman

Quote from: NurseNugent on June 03, 2018, 11:46:17 AM
It's not Packing it In is ? It used to get shown quite a lot on TV in the 80s. It's not camping though it's about relocating to the countryside.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086071/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

That's it! That's the one I'm thinking of, anyway. Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, of course. I'd even considered and discounted it being one of the pair from Airplane! because in my mind it might have been them. Though whether it is the film Steven was trying to remember remains to be seen...

Steven

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 03, 2018, 04:36:28 PM
The Wrong Guys (Richard Lewis, Richard Belzer)

Think that could be it. Thanks. Though my memory is so vague literally the only thing that will confirm it is the "Foxes farts" line, either way I've got a fair few camping movies to get through now.

mothman

Occurs to me, Packin' It In is denoted as a TV movie on IMDb, so it's unlikely it'd have such a rude word as "fart" in dialogue.

Steven

Quote from: hamfist on May 30, 2018, 09:47:41 PM

Probably this clumsy cunt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 05, 2018, 02:15:56 PM
Probably this clumsy cunt.

And there was me, thinking that you were going to pull the old 'link to the profile' trick.

hamfist

I think I identified part of this memory ! Mad Mission is almost certainly the film with the rc cars set-piece in it. Holy moly. Need to watch it and see if the fbi bit is in there.