Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio Wan

Started by gilbertharding, May 31, 2018, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Not sure if this should be here, or in Ocscillations...

On the day celebrated high-tech architect Sir Nicholas Grimshaw announces his resignation from the Radio 1 breakfast show - with a speech reminiscent of Dave Lee Travis's on air resignation - following what he'll deny are catastrophic listening figures, I also note that there's a petition online to get rid of  Jo Whiley from the Simon and Jo Drivetime show on Radio 2 (apparently she's only there because of Political Correctness).

Lets talk about The Radio!!

Captain Z

I read about this earlier and I still refuse to acknowledge that Nick Grimshaw and Greg James are different people.

Captain Z

Breakfast show presenter goes back in time to warn self about listening figures.

Sebastian Cobb

If they got Russell Kane to fill in I'm sure nobody would have noticed.

Malcy

Haven't listened to R1 in years. Plays pure shite and the DJ's are all wankers. Gone are the good old days of Moyles & Mark & Lard etc.

gilbertharding

Classic old-person opinion.

We sometimes have Radio 1 on in the office, a bit too quiet to actually listen to - I doubt it's much worse than the pre-Bannister days. The music's OK - it comes and goes and I don't hate all of it...

Trouble is, any 'comedy' factor among the DJs is hugely crippled by the apparent necessity of pre-explaining any joke (which is always incredibly straight-forward and positive), executing the joke, then replaying, reliving, and commenting on the joke - seemingly for days afterwards - as if all the listeners have literally just tuned in, and were also completely unaware of the concept of humour.

Old Radio 1, and Radio 2 nowadays treats listeners as members of a club who all know what's going on - and are intelligent enough to pick it all up quite quickly even if they're not immediately familiar with it all.

I resist the temptation to hate it, or to compare it unfavourably to other stuff - because I remember how much I hated old people weighing in to stuff I liked when I was 18.

Oh, and Simon Bates, DLT... ect.

Shit Good Nose

Haven't listened to the radio since Mark and Lard's evening show.  Which was probably the last time radio 2 was popular as well?  I know there was a period when a lot of my radio listening friends and acquaintances all said something along the lines of "if you want to listen to radio 1, listen to radio 2".

Whatever - I listen to music and podcasts from my own player now.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 01, 2018, 03:05:06 PM
Haven't listened to the radio since Mark and Lard's evening show.  Which was probably the last time radio 2 was popular as well?  I know there was a period when a lot of my radio listening friends and acquaintances all said something along the lines of "if you want to listen to radio 1, listen to radio 2".

Whatever - I listen to music and podcasts from my own player now.

How long ago was that? If about 10 years, that sounds about right. Back then Radio 2 had a really good mix of old and current and was my 'go to' station, although it lost a lot of goodwill with me for it's seemingly endless obsession with Katie Melua. An obsession I shared, though not aurally.

yesitsme

When I was young Radio 1 was full of old farts like yer Simon Bateses of this world, yer DLTs of this world and yer Noel Edmondse of this world.

Then I grew up and it became full of yer Chris Moyleses of this world, yer Scott Millses of this world and yer Grimsies of this world.

It's like me and Radio 1 passed each other in a corridor without acknowledging each other.

It's never really played the songs I like, I can't bear to tune in to Radio 2 and hear all the posse.  Wogan was awful, Mayo would send a glass eye to sleep and there's too many Kershaws working there.

But at least it doesn't have adverts I suppose.

In here we've got two choices.  One end of the office has Radio Clyde with its bucket of three Ed Sheron songs and the other has Capital with its bucket of one Ed Sheron song.

Not so long ago I looked around the canteen and everyone was my age or older.  I stood up, turned the fucking off and the silence was blissful.

I can understand Clyde1, Key103 or yer local equivalent playing the top ten constantly all day.  When I was young I listened to the radio to hear the 'hits' but stations like Heart and Clyde2 drive me fucking bonkers.  They've got the entire history of music to choose from and yet they stick to the same Abba song over and over again.  Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of the Abbers myself but Jesus fuck.  They must have made 500 songs - rotate them eh?

Radio can be great but it's fucking itself in to oblivion by it's focus grouped play lists.  I don't know who's on these panels but by Christ do they love a lot of Rhianna.

I keep promising that one day on a day off I'll spend the full day calling in phone-ins, giving my opinions on all sorts of shite - a bit like on here, but only more so.

For crazy bastard opinions and reactionary comment may I point you in the direction of Radio Scotland's Call Kaye and Clyde 1's Super Scoreboard.

Actually, Radio Scotland's Get It On can be pretty good.

That's it.

For the rest, if it's not 5live commentary then it's podcasts/my own music choices.

Sebastian Cobb

They pipe capital in the bogs in my work.

It's quiet enough you don't notice it in the back bogs that I usually piss and shit in. But you do in the front bogs, which I only tend to use when doing a wee while I'm wating for my tea to brew and it always seems to be one of 3 songs that are playing.

gilbertharding

The Simon Mayo/Jo Whiley debacle rumbles on.

It was the lead item on Radio 4's FeedBack show a few weeks ago. They had the usual quota of moaning arses moaning on, including ones claiming the fact the Simon Mayo had been forced to accept Jo Whiley because of 'Political Correctness', someone who felt so vexed they'd written a fucking awful poem about it, and someone who felt so vexed they'd written a fucking awful SONG about it.

In any sane world, of course, such people would automatically be struck from the record as 'clearly lunatic', and given no truck. But here we are...

And then they wheeled in the controller of Radio 2 to explain why he'd decided to 'change a winning formula'. The presenter hit him with the knockout non-question: "We haven't heard from ANYONE who likes the new show."

His answer, "Well, you're hardly likely to, are you? Thousands of people like the new show, and they get in touch with us," was dismissed as "arrogant" by the nutters on Twitter.

These people mainly seem aggrieved by the loss of Matt (the Sports Guy). Me - I can't see the fuss. The new show is fine.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 02, 2018, 04:16:23 PM

It was the lead item on Radio 4's FeedBack show a few weeks ago. They had the usual quota of moaning arses moaning on, including ones claiming the fact the Simon Mayo had been forced to accept Jo Whiley because of 'Political Correctness', someone who felt so vexed they'd written a fucking awful poem about it, and someone who felt so vexed they'd written a fucking awful SONG about it.

Just listened to this because you made it sound hilarious. Was expecting every single one of the callers accusing them of "political correctness" or "a gender-equality experiment gone wrong" to be women...

It's such an utterly pointless thing to get upset about isn't it?

Two bland MOR pop shows merge into one bland MOR pop show. He still gets to do his confessions and homework bits, she still gets to do her dads taxi bit.

It's not like they've merged Sounds of the Sixties and Bob Harris Country and you have Harris and Tony Blackburn bickering over whether they should play Toby Keith or Dave Clark Five.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on July 03, 2018, 02:01:26 AM
Just listened to this because you made it sound hilarious. Was expecting every single one of the callers accusing them of "political correctness" or "a gender-equality experiment gone wrong" to be women...

Too late to edit this, but I meant to say "Wasn't expecting..."

Fuck.

Bazooka

All analogue radio stations should be sent to a war camp.

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on July 03, 2018, 12:44:55 PM
Too late to edit this, but I meant to say "Wasn't expecting..."

Fuck.

You'd be surprised. There are a lot of women who don't want other women to do well for themselves, especially the 50+ers. They come from a time where it was possible to buy a house and raise 2.4 children on a single salary. For them work was just something you did for a little bit of spending money so of course you didn't get paid the same as men or get the same opportunities.

The idea that a woman might want some sort of career and to be treated the same as men is absolutely alien to these women.

jobotic

Over the course of reading this thread I've warmed to Jo Whiley.

Liza Tarbuck is good on Radio 2. Everyone else is awful. Well Ken Bruce is okay but he doesn't half play some shite. I've warmed to It's Me EP too.

Quote from: jobotic on July 05, 2018, 03:35:08 PM
Over the course of reading this thread I've warmed to Jo Whiley.

Liza Tarbuck is good on Radio 2. Everyone else is awful. Well Ken Bruce is okay but he doesn't half play some shite. I've warmed to It's Me EP too.

Jamie Cullum's jazz show is brilliant too. It's the only thing I actually set out to listen to on there now.

Steve Wright is the fucking worst. Absolute shite. Same boring Wayne Carr posse tedium that got him sacked off Radio 1 but he's still doing it. Happened to catch him speaking all over the intro and crashing the vocals of the first verse of Johnny & Mary last week. He then piped back up during the last verse before cutting the song off midway through the last chorus so he could play a jingle that seemed to go on for hours. Dogshit.

Norton Canes

Trevor Nelson is solid on Radio 2.

Golden E. Pump

Craig Charles on 6 Music is excellent, too.

Norton Canes

Craig Charles unfortunately suffers from the irremediable condition of being Craig Charles.

Golden E. Pump

What's wrong with Craig Charles?

gilbertharding

Craig unproven allegations Charles, as he's known in our house.

I'm amazed #metoo hasn't come to get him. Plays decent music though.

machotrouts

[clicks on thread after misreading title as 'Robot Wars'] Ah... I was wrong. It's about Craig Charles

gilbertharding

And now the Simon Mayo and Jo Whiley DriveTime show is over (well... it will be by January) as he is moving to Australia or something, and she is returning to early evenings.

And because he, specifically, has denied it on twitter, the tabloids (and the Telegraph) are claiming it's because he was 'forced to work with Jo Whiley' in a 'gender shake-up'.

Another small sign that the cunts are winning.

I still can't quite get my head around how furious the show was making people. Imagine wanting Jo Whiley dead because a perceived slight against Simon Mayo is threatening your own sense of manhood. Just think about that. Read it out loud. Then imagine living your life like that.

gilbertharding

Plus, the show had really started to be good lately.

Perhaps this was a consequence of the short periods where they had stand in hosts, including Ricky Wilson - after whom ANYONE would sound brilliant. Fucking hell. They're grooming Ricky Wilson to be a full time Radio 2 DJ, aren't they? Him and Fearne Fucking Cotton, on Drivetime, forever.

Icehaven

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 04, 2018, 03:12:02 PM
You'd be surprised. There are a lot of women who don't want other women to do well for themselves, especially the 50+ers. They come from a time where it was possible to buy a house and raise 2.4 children on a single salary. For them work was just something you did for a little bit of spending money so of course you didn't get paid the same as men or get the same opportunities.

The idea that a woman might want some sort of career and to be treated the same as men is absolutely alien to these women.

This is very true, although I'd say it's not always necessarily that they don't want other women to do well for themselves, but often more (as you go on to say) that they seem mystified as to why it's necessary.
My Mum (who I love to bits and am very close to) is a mass of contradictions in this respect, and although she's 80 now she's always been the same. She had a career (albeit one almost exclusively done by women in her day, nursing), moved to the other side of the world on her own in the 1960s, has never married and raised a daughter single-handed. All which makes her blunt misogyny even harder to understand. She hates seeing too many women presenters on TV, thinks we shouldn't have female Prime Ministers, and just has a general poor opinion of successful women or women in positions of power and influence. And she's far from unusual in this respect, she goes to a retired nurses groups once a month and the organisers occasionally ask if any of them (probably the ones a bit younger than my Mum) would like to go and do pool work, but the general consensus among them is that there's no way they're going back to be ''bossed around by some jumped-up young nurses.'' Yet by the same token she has always been 100% supportive of me doing anything I want, so I daresay her opinion might have changed somewhat if I'd turned out to be the PM or a TV presenter.   

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 03, 2018, 12:25:05 PM
It's not like they've merged Sounds of the Sixties and Bob Harris Country and you have Harris and Tony Blackburn bickering over whether they should play Toby Keith or Dave Clark Five.

I'd listen to that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 11, 2019, 11:53:18 AM
I stopped regularly listening at the end of 1991 because I quit a job where the workplace had it on all day.  Black & White by Michael Jackson was played every fifteen minutes if I recall.  Occasionally, over the ensuing years, bits of the station's shows would drift into my ears, usually in the back of cabs: a bumptious Chris Evans persuading us to honk our horns and playing the new Sleeper single or a bumptious Chris Moyles telling us how the women from Friends are all a bunch of 'mooses' now and playing the new Coldplay single.

Anyway, for quite some time, it all seems to have become so achingly cool.  The likes of DLT, Mike Read and Annie Nightingale etc and their old playlists seem like they're from the Bronze Age by today's standards. Is it all earnest singer-songwriters, urban swagger and auto-tune contemporary pop now? I see The Vaccines are on their playlist this week. Do they play them alongside Drake, Ariana Grande, Kayne etc? Is there a guitar based or rock show? Do they have any lighthearted quizzes or parlour games for the listeners?  Is there any sense of dare I say, fun other than saying 'Bangin' choon, mate'.  Do they still say that?

I would do my own research by listening in next week but I've only just got over feeling poorly this Xmas and not prepared to take the risk.

Listening to Radio 1 right now - well, it's on in the office.

The mid-morning lady is OK. Blathering on. It's hard to get a handle on why, but this morning they seem to have been playing old records for an hour... like Oliver Twist by D'Banj and Hold Back the River by James Bay. I don't know if this is every Friday, or what.

The 'personality' DJs seem to have gone. Greg James is still there, presumably still doing his thing of Telegraphing the Joke, Doing the Joke, Re-capping the Joke until he's absolutely sure everyone has got it, and the whole thing has been thoroughly beaten to death.