Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top Gun Part Deux

Started by Bogbrainedmurphy, May 31, 2018, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogbrainedmurphy

You can be us wingman any bastard time!

https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1002062865971499008

I for one am fully psyched for this. The only worry for me is that it sounds like it's going to be more about drones. Hopefully not too much CGI in it either, as a connoisseur of fighter pilot in-cockpit videos, there's very much that can be gained purely by sticking GoPro cameras all over the place

bgmnts

Yeah people who don't like Top Gun freak me out.

Mega excited.

Steven

Hmm, how could they possibly make it more gay than the original?

SpiderChrist

One for the "films I have never seen" thread.

Replies From View

Which was the one with Ace Rimmer in it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on May 31, 2018, 12:23:47 PM
Yeah people who don't like Top Gun freak me out.

Mega excited.

Never seen it. Any good?

popcorn

Fucken boring is what it is. Saw it for the first time not too long ago. Boring snoring.

Take My Breath Away is good though.

St_Eddie

Ooohhh, I can hardly wait!  Oh wait, yes I can.  Indefinitely so, in fact.

momatt

Top Gun?
Top Shit more like!

popcorn

The makers of this film are going to be shamefaced when they see these posts.

Shaky

I love me some 80's cheese but, quite exciting aerial footage aside, the first film really is a load of old bollocks.

That's not edgy talk, that's just fact.

momatt

It's an undercover chick-flick.

You think it's going to be all cool explosions, fighting and war, but it's actually a lame love story.
See also: Armageddon.

mothman

I suppose there's no reason why a Naval aviator wouldn't still be flying fast jets in his fifties, but really if Pete "Maverick" Mitchell isn't a flag officer after 35 years in the US Navy, then he probably needs to start reviewing his career trajectory.

From Wiki: "US Code Title 10 requires that US aircraft carrier commanding officers and executive officers be Navy unrestricted line officers designated as either naval aviators or naval flight officers. Prior to assuming command, these officers first command a deep-draft ship and serve as executive officer of an aircraft carrier and go through an extensive training syllabus in ship handling and nuclear propulsion."

Plus, I looked up the bios of all current US aircraft carrier commanding officers. Of thjos I could find, USSes Nimitz, Eisenhower, Lincoln, Washington, Truman all had COs commissioned in 1990. Stennis and Reagan's were 1989. If Maverick isn't an admiral commanding a carrier group, then he's a total loser and I hope all the other naval aviators who are 30 years younger than him take the piss out of him all the time.

Cold Meat Platter

He will have deliberately stymied his career to stay flying with the lads because he's so fucking great and cool. Punched a CO for being a racist or whatever.

mothman

I think you're absolutely right. It'll be something like that.

Dex Sawash

Not sure it'll be any good w/o Leslie Nielsen

Head Gardener

biggytitbo

Tomas Mapother IV is a bit elderly to be a Top Gun these days isn't he.

Shaky

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 03, 2018, 12:39:20 PM
He will have deliberately stymied his career to stay flying with the lads because he's so fucking great and cool. Punched a CO for being a racist or whatever.

Or his daughter/son/nephew/niece/godchild will end up in some sort of aerial trouble and Maverick will come to the rescue, via legitimate means or the stealing of a plane.

bgmnts

I think Maverick and Iceman will be instructors and their respective proteges will butt heads.

Operty1

I wonder in what capacity Kilmer will appear in this. He was looking terrible in the Snowman, and was badly over dubbed most likely because of his illness.

biggytitbo

I think he's playing the aircraft carrier.

mothman

In one of the more bizarre and meta dreams I've ever had, before waking this morning I had a dream that the first trailer was released. All I remember is that Jonny Lee Miller was playing the Iceman analogue. And - my subconscious scares me sometimes - I noticed that Maverick held the rank of captain, because he was stencilling it on the side of his plane under the cockpit like they do.

Then when I tried to come post the link to thebtrailer here, I couldn't find it. Then I woke up. And my pillow was gone.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on June 12, 2018, 08:17:48 PM
In one of the more bizarre and meta dreams I've ever had, before waking this morning I had a dream that the first trailer was released. All I remember is that Jonny Lee Miller was playing the Iceman analogue. And - my subconscious scares me sometimes - I noticed that Maverick held the rank of captain, because he was stencilling it on the side of his plane under the cockpit like they do.

Then when I tried to come post the link to thebtrailer here, I couldn't find it. Then I woke up. And my pillow was gone.

You're still dreaming.  This reply is a figment of your imagination.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: popcorn on May 31, 2018, 05:33:50 PM
Take My Breath Away is good though.

It is, and I have always wanted to be Terri Nunn out of Berlin.  She also auditioned to be Princess Leia.

That's everything I think about Topmost Firearm.

buzby

One of the problems this will have is that the US Navy's planes are all a bit shit and boring nowadays - a few  F-18 Hornet/Super hornet derivatives and the F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, which in fighter jet terms is about as dynamic as a housebrick. There's no sexy dedicated fighters like the F-14 Tomcat now.

mothman

You can just about swing looking cool in a F/A-18 but it's a bit old hat now, when the model had its moment of glory in Independence Day which will be getting on for a quarter of a century old when this film comes out. And there's nothing cool-looking about the F-35 at all.

mothman

So Tom Cruise posted this bizarre video about motion smoothing, in his Top Gun uniform. And it says "Capt. Pete Mitchell" on it. So, er, there we have it.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/dec/05/tom-cruise-motion-smoothing-interpolation

madhair60

(Far too close to microphone) Yeah, Flop Gun, more like.