Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Started by lankyguy95, May 31, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Back on the 6th August https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/1002310660154327041

Really excited to see how they approach this season. There's still a lot of space in the timeline between last season and Breaking Bad and it would be interesting to see them add a bit of pace to proceedings but then the aftermath of Chuck's death is hardly something they can pass by either.

buttgammon

That's my girlfriend's birthday! A brilliant present (to me too; I bloody love this programme).

I'm going to be really interested to see what happens now Chuck's gone. It looks like there won't be any more shots of Jimmy putting his phone in the mailbox, at least.

bgmnts

It would be nice if this was the last one that connected this and Breaking Bad. I want to know what happened between Jimmy and Ignacio but that's it.

selectivememory

I'd be quite happy for this show to run and run if they keep it at Season 3 quality. The slow pace is fine with me if it feels purposeful. Sometimes in Season 2 it didn't, but 3 felt much more focussed again.

gib

i lke the way watching the bald man make something clever gives me the same feeling Tony Hart did when he was doing one of those art things, very similar telly buzz that is

BeardFaceMan

Has it been confirmed that Chuck is dead? You'd have to be pretty fucking depressed to sit still in a fire, he's not a buddhist monk.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 01, 2018, 07:06:13 AM
Has it been confirmed that Chuck is dead? You'd have to be pretty fucking depressed to sit still in a fire, he's not a buddhist monk.

When you set a fire in the middle of a house crammed with stacked newspapers and littered with paraffin lamps I don't think you need to sit still for long before escape becomes very difficult. I would assume that Chuck just suffocated soon after we last saw him.

If Chuck did turn up alive at the start of season 4 I think it'd be a pretty dumb and pointless rug pull of the kind I really wouldn't expect from this creative team.

Ignatius_S

McKean has previously said that Chuck has died but that they wanted to use him in flashbacks for this season.

hedgehog90

I love the show, but I'm not sure how much longer I can suspend my disbelief.
I'm talking about Mike, he looks completely fucked.
Didn't they screw up his granddaughter's age too? I haven't looked into it, but it seems like she didn't age between 2004 and 2009.
Yeah, the ages are all screwy in this show. I know it's not important but it bothers me.

selectivememory

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 01, 2018, 01:00:15 PM
I love the show, but I'm not sure how much longer I can suspend my disbelief.
I'm talking about Mike, he looks completely fucked.
Didn't they screw up his granddaughter's age too? I haven't looked into it, but it seems like she didn't age between 2004 and 2009.
Yeah, the ages are all screwy in this show. I know it's not important but it bothers me.

I can live with Mike and Jimmy looking way older than they should (even when they did those ridiculous flashbacks with a fifty-something Bob Odenkirk playing a twenty-something Jimmy in the first season), as that's unavoidable, but the granddaughter thing seems like a genuine fuck-up, and it does bother me. I don't know quite how they messed that up. Should have been barely older than a toddler at the beginning of BCS.

kngen

Quote from: selectivememory on June 01, 2018, 01:13:19 PM
the granddaughter thing seems like a genuine fuck-up, and it does bother me. I don't know quite how they messed that up. Should have been barely older than a toddler at the beginning of BCS.

Nah, it's a different one. The one in BCS gets killed by the twins, so neurotic mum gets IVF with frozen semen of Mike's son, which leads to their acrimonious split in their relationship as he sees that as unethical, but it's Mike's granddaughter all the same, and you see him fulfill that role in Breaking Bad. Also, she calls her by the same name, because she's mental.

And all of BCS is actually a vivid hallucination Walter has after collapsing at the end of BB.

Did I mention Vince Gilligan is from near here?

selectivememory

Quote from: kngen on June 01, 2018, 01:51:49 PM
Nah, it's a different one. The one in BCS gets killed by the twins, so neurotic mum gets IVF with frozen semen of Mike's son, which leads to their acrimonious split in their relationship as he sees that as unethical, but it's Mike's granddaughter all the same, and you see him fulfill that role in Breaking Bad. Also, she calls her by the same name, because she's mental.

Ah, of course! Seems obvious now you've pointed it out.

monolith

Was having a look at the ratings and whilst they have been consistently decreasing, they are still above where Breaking Bad was in it's third season.

At what point does cancellation become an issue with regards to the ratings?

Ant Farm Keyboard

BB was wholly funded by AMC.
BCS is jointly funded by AMC and Netflix, which bought all international distribution rights.

And I don't think they have more than four or five seasons in mind.

samadriel

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 01, 2018, 11:00:08 PM
BCS is jointly funded by AMC and Netflix, which bought all international distribution rights.
That's odd, it's on a competing streaming service in Australia.

Z

Quote from: monolith on June 01, 2018, 05:27:24 PM
Was having a look at the ratings and whilst they have been consistently decreasing, they are still above where Breaking Bad was in it's third season.

At what point does cancellation become an issue with regards to the ratings?
Iirc, Breaking Bad had to depend on some pretty dodgy product placement to fund its fourth season (think it was Rage and... Chevrolet???).

Unlike Breaking Bad up to the fourth season, BCS has a substantial international audience and does well on streaming platforms. It also has a level of prestige associated with it that the earlier seasons of BB didn't, so that would help some too.

monolith

Hopefully it will be alright then.

There must be more than four seasons planned as if this was the final season we would have heard about it by now.

mothman

Five feels right. If it went on for more seasons than BB did, it'd be almost like they were trying to be clever about it.

NoSleep

Vince Gilligan trying to be clever? That's never going to happen.

lankyguy95

I'd be happy for them to go on for a few more seasons but I think there might be a point where it becomes very hard to suspend your disbelief about their ageing. It's already almost ten years since Jonathan Banks first appeared in Breaking Bad and this show is still years off that in the timeline.

New Jack

Will this finally be the series that's almost outright comedy, with a Client of the Week?? Hopefully not! I've loved the pacing, mulling over such things as the cinematography, just soaking it all in.

Seriously I love it and it's ace. Nobody I know is still interested but I obviously know some pretty terrible people. In in this for the long haul. Not sure how much longer that haul is, mind.

mothman

On a train recently there was somebody had the theme tune - if you can call it that... jingle maybe? - as his ringtone, which was a bit disconcerting out of context. AND we were in the Quiet Coach, the monstrous cunt.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: samadriel on June 02, 2018, 02:49:24 AM
That's odd, it's on a competing streaming service in Australia.

Australia and New Zealand are the only countries left off the Netflix deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul#Broadcast

It also broadcast in India.

Artemis

Quote from: lankyguy95 on June 02, 2018, 03:06:53 PM
I'd be happy for them to go on for a few more seasons but I think there might be a point where it becomes very hard to suspend your disbelief about their ageing. It's already almost ten years since Jonathan Banks first appeared in Breaking Bad and this show is still years off that in the timeline.

I can't find the interview, but I'm sure I remember VG talking about the post Breaking Bad world, and how he feels there are stories there.

Certainly the black and white flash-forwards feel a bit unfocussed in BCS. Always fascinating, but I've struggled to place them within the context of the show to the point they sometimes feel a bit of a compelling gimmick.

mothman

Maybe it's just me, but I never quite understood the level of existential or legal peril Saul was in at the end of BB, that would lead him to consider his tedious existence as Gene, manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha, Nebraska, as preferential to any other sort fo life. Was his complicity in Walt's crimes sufficent for that, or is there more we're unaware of and that BCS might fill in? Can the show still work if it changes from prequel to sequel?

NoSleep

Quote from: mothman on June 03, 2018, 05:50:27 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I never quite understood the level of existential or legal peril Saul was in at the end of BB, that would lead him to consider his tedious existence as Gene, manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha, Nebraska, as preferential to any other sort fo life.

Preferential to life in prison is good enough. The anonymity and nature of his new existence is pretty much set up by the guy who he employed to do that (as we saw for Jesse and Walt). It probably seems preferable when you're escaping from your old life than what it turns out to be (which we're glimpsing).

holyzombiejesus

Serge really wanted to see this so it's quite bittersweet to read of its return.

mothman

He'll be watching with us, I'm sure.

... well he'd better bloody be, I'm not increasing my Netflix subscription to get him his own screen.

saltysnacks

I think Johnathan Banks is going to look exactly the same until he dies, it's Odenkirk who is really looking too old.

imitationleather

Is this shit still going?

Saul must look about 100 by now and Jonathan Banks would have been too old to be called-up in WW1.

Better Caul Saul is shite, lads. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bell.

That scene where he's doing the bingo-calling. Anyone who thinks that was good television is a massive cunt.