Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Started by lankyguy95, May 31, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: imitationleather on June 07, 2018, 04:23:09 AM
Is this shit still going?

Saul must look about 100 by now and Jonathan Banks would have been too old to be called-up in WW1.

Better Caul Saul is shite, lads. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bell.

That scene where he's doing the bingo-calling. Anyone who thinks that was good television is a massive cunt.

Great post, cheers.

New Jack

If being a cunt means getting to stare at Kim, then cunt me up!

She's gonna die, and it'll be Jimmy's fault. Doubt she'll, like, end things on good terms with him and move away safe and sound. Not in this universe.

phantom_power

Have the bingo calling scenes been held up as highlights of the show or something?

Obel

Personally rate Saul higher than Breaking Bad, but I always felt BB was a wee bit overrated. Really looking forward to this coming back, recently watched through Season 3 so I'm ready. SO READY

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: New Jack on June 07, 2018, 12:06:41 PM
If being a cunt means getting to stare at Kim, then cunt me up!

She's gonna die, and it'll be Jimmy's fault. Doubt she'll, like, end things on good terms with him and move away safe and sound. Not in this universe.

Note that the Cinnabon where Jimmy ends up working is in Omaha, Nebraska. Kim mentioned that she came from a little town at the border between Kansas and Nebraska.

NoSleep

It does make it viable for a Kim/Jimmy chance meeting in Cinnabon. Maybe the last ever scene in Better Call Saul (in monochrome) and cut before a word is spoken between them.

BritishHobo

I do fucking hope this finally gets its arse in gear. It feels like we still haven't got past the point we got to in the season one finale.

Dex Sawash

I may be a little gay for Nacho

New Jack

Nacho = Ignacio = mentioned in Saul's first (non-advert) BB appearance

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 07, 2018, 05:48:02 PM
Note that the Cinnabon where Jimmy ends up working is in Omaha, Nebraska. Kim mentioned that she came from a little town at the border between Kansas and Nebraska.

Oh, don't instil hope... with this series it's just gonna come crashing down, and hurt inside, brother

kngen

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 10, 2018, 01:37:25 AM
I may be a little gay for Nacho

It's the eyes.

Michael Mando is great, though. Deserves to become a breakout star for his performances on BCS. He can convey quite an amazing range of emotions with those (oh so dreamy) eyes, and little else.

buttgammon

Quote from: kngen on June 11, 2018, 06:21:34 PM
It's the eyes.

Michael Mando is great, though. Deserves to become a breakout star for his performances on BCS. He can convey quite an amazing range of emotions with those (oh so dreamy) eyes, and little else.

Absolutely, and I think his ability to do that is one of the things that made that scene (the one with the pills, obviously) so gripping.

hedgehog90

That scene was good but I'm struggling to remember much else about Nacho.

I never liked his face.

lankyguy95

Back tomorrow/Tuesday morning. Can't wait.

mothman

So not tomorrow here then? I couldn't remember/wasn't sure. I guess that means I can watch Preacher tomorrow night, and BCS on Tuesday night. Which suits me just fine.

up_the_hampipe

I'm hoping this show can go on without Chuck. He seemed like the life force of the show as it limped through season 3. His performance in the court episode was phenomenal. Let's hope they inject some speed in this one.

buttgammon

Very excited for this - it's my favourite programme these days.

I too will be interested to see how it goes on without Chuck. Series two and three started where the previous series left off (after our obligatory peek at Cinnebon Gene, of course), so I wouldn't be surprised if this one literally comes out of the ashes of series three.

bgmnts

What if Chuck is still alive but badly burnt...?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2018, 09:19:43 PM

Then we will consider it the shark jump moment of the show.

Pseudopath

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2018, 09:19:43 PM

Nah...even the official synopsis for Episode 1 states that "Jimmy struggles to cope with Chuck's tragic death" and there have been promo shots of Jimmy and Kim at his funeral. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck reappears in flashbacks.

buttgammon

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 05, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
Nah...even the official synopsis for Episode 1 states that "Jimmy struggles to cope with Chuck's tragic death" and there have been promo shots of Jimmy and Kim at his funeral. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck reappears in flashbacks.

I was wondering this too, but I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Michael McKean was totally finished in the programme. Could be wrong, though.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: buttgammon on August 05, 2018, 10:16:18 PM
I was wondering this too, but I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Michael McKean was totally finished in the programme. Could be wrong, though.

https://cartermatt.com/320174/better-call-saul-season-4-michael-mckean-still-returning/

buttgammon

Oh, very good! There should be some good Chuck flashbacks, then.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 05, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
Nah...even the official synopsis for Episode 1 states that "Jimmy struggles to cope with Chuck's tragic death" and there have been promo shots of Jimmy and Kim at his funeral.

Fair enough. Shame.

Jimmy might feel that he had a role in Chuck's death given that he had not been entirely honest in the court case IIRC.

selectivememory

Going to assume that we'll not bother with spoilers for episodes that have been broadcast...

Great to have this back. First episode not much more than I would have expected, but enjoyable enough, and it probably speaks to how easily pleased I am, but I could watch hours of Mike just doing his thing. Cracked me up how nonchalantly he wandered around Madrigal doing whatever he wanted with no one questioning him.

Fairly ambiguous ending there - if I remember rightly, it was because of Jimmy that the insurance company found out about Chuck's condition, so it's unclear what Jimmy's feelings are about that. I thought that news would have had the opposite reaction in him, but he seemed positively cheerful to find that out from Howard. Edit: yeah, I suppose he was able to pass his guilt off on Howard, but it was his actions that set the whole thing in motion in the first place.

You do really have to ignore how old both Mike and Jimmy look though. Banks and Odenkirk must both be at least 15 years older than their characters are supposed to be.

lankyguy95

I thought it was great. I always think that people looking for the moment that Jimmy turns into Saul are kind of missing the point - it's surely meant to be a gradual thing - but the "that's your cross to bear" was amazingly cold and obviously was a great way for Jimmy to relinquish his own guilt. The transformation is tipping over the edge.

The Mike stuff was typically great. The fact that he was essentially just doing his job made me laugh. I guess he's covering his tracks for if he ever has to prove what he's up to but it wouldn't surprise me if there's something else going on too.

I hope this is the season that we get more than one Gene section.

Dex Sawash

Does Kim know about the insurance tipoff?

Yeah, that was a good one. I loved the whole Mike scene as well. Took a moment to sis what the whole Dad & Son scene was about but was great when it landed. I don't know where that will go either npbut def somewhere good, I hope. Also loved the scene with his health insurance, it gave you a real insight into how a mundane and straightforward piece of information being handed over was fraught with terror for Saul.

Artemis

Great stuff. I love how unapologetically slowly this show takes things. For a series many people must have started watching to 'see when he turns' and 'watch for BB stuff', this has been a wonderful statement of independence. They're taking things at their own pace, so minutes go by with no dialogue or explanation, and as a viewer, you can sit back and lap it up, knowing you're in safe hands.

I thought Jimmy's pivot at the end was exceptionally well handled. Jimmy was obviously racked with guilt, but Howard triumphantly reeling off all that Chuck had achieved (and Jimmy had not) created a perfect platform for him to cheerfully allow Howard to take the guilt. Jimmy took another decisive step towards Saul at that point, abandoning ethics entirely and slowly suppressing his conscience to the necessary levels.

buttgammon

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 07, 2018, 12:53:27 PM
Does Kim know about the insurance tipoff?

This is what I was wondering; I don't remember him telling her previously, but she seemed to give him a knowing look. Regardless, I thought that was a fantastic scene. A fantastic episode, in fact. This is still the best TV programme out there as far as I'm concerned.