Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Started by lankyguy95, May 31, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Great episode. What's Mike gonna do with the Germans? Seems like he's going to let them do something dodgy to let off steam and it will go wrong.

kngen

The split screen opening was brilliant, but made my heart hurt: a relationship dying in fast-forward. But does Kim's screen fading to black first foreshadow something even more sinister? Hope not. She's just lovely.

NoSleep

I think the screen fading to only Jimmy was more to show that he was thinking just of himself these days.

That was great.

I'm 100% invested in every thread of this.

thugler

This would be great if the other storylines were anything close to as good as the Kim /Saul one.

The lab building /gangster stuff is still dull

Petey Pate

That was probably the funniest episode of the series to date. Which probably means that the next episode will be heart wrenching.

This show is full of red herrings. Wasn't expecting that Werner would be the German who fucks up. I'll be sad when Gus inevitably hires Mike to kill him, as they seemed to have genuinely bonded.

Bob Odenkirk got to reprise his southerner voice from this Mr Show sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9Fv9O6AnU&app=desktop

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 25, 2018, 04:14:13 PM
This show is full of red herrings. Wasn't expecting that Werner would be the German who fucks up. I'll be sad when Gus inevitably hires Mike to kill him, as they seemed to have genuinely bonded.

I thought Werner was instantly one of the great characters in the Breaking Bad universe and I'm already sad about what's inevitably going to happen.

notjosh

What the fuck happened to all the high security? I thought none of the crew were supposed to know where they are, but now Mike's just wandering around outside with Werner, leaving him totally unattended in a bar, then driving him home in the front seat of his car. Shouldn't they all be in a windowless van being driven around a roundabout until they lose their sense of direction? Can't believe Gus let that shit slide.

Cuellar

Bit of a snoozer that one.

Another extended montage of mysterious menial tasks - what could it all mean!

I also didn't really care about the Saul doing the funny voices.

Sort of only interested in Nacho at this point.

Pseudopath

I'm guessing (from what Saul says in Breaking Bad) that they're going to build this Lalo guy up to be the Big Bad. If so, there's a danger that Gus could end up becoming a dull side-character who just turns up every now and then to be informed of construction progress and medical prognosis. I suppose they could pit them against each other, but it would be fairly obvious who comes out on top.

Z

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 25, 2018, 03:43:41 PM
http://www.freewill-baptistchurch.com/
Fucking site has a responsive design menu, that shit wasn't happening in 2004.

...jQuery?! in 2004?! What in the fuck are you on about, boy?

The audio samples are pretty good though, nice shitty sound to them

jobotic

Twit 2

I am totally in love with Kim.

Apparently, the driving licences in Nacho's safe were Canadian, meaning his father is alive and Nacho has an escape plan for them. Didn't pick up on that in the episode. Who were the women at Nacho's place - live in whores? What are we supposed to take away from these scenes? That Nacho is getting more jaded and more into the moral murk?

I liked that episode. The DA woman buying the Huell stuff was a bit of a stretch. Surely she must have smelled a rat and could have done some digging? I guess she reached a tipping point where it wasn't worth her pride or time to check. I enjoyed seeing Jimmy's slacker film crew. Really love the world of this show and its characters.

jobotic

Why would we think Nacho's father isn't alive? Have i missed a bit?

Cuellar

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 26, 2018, 12:42:52 AM
Apparently, the driving licences in Nacho's safe were Canadian, meaning his father is alive and Nacho has an escape plan for them. Didn't pick up on that in the episode. Who were the women at Nacho's place - live in whores? What are we supposed to take away from these scenes? That Nacho is getting more jaded and more into the moral murk?

I think they're just some of the sort of people that revolve around drug dealers.

Nacho's house is very stylish anyway.

NoSleep

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 26, 2018, 12:42:52 AM
The DA woman buying the Huell stuff was a bit of a stretch. Surely she must have smelled a rat and could have done some digging?

Why? It's only suspicious from our point of view. Who else would think that others would go to that length over a few months in prison?

NoSleep

Anyway, Kim gets the hots for Jimmy over the scam and I bet the next one they pull will bring her down.

gib

Quote from: NoSleep on September 26, 2018, 09:55:08 AM
Anyway, Kim gets the hots for Jimmy over the scam and I bet the next one they pull will bring her down.

and it was her idea to keep up the scams when he suggested quitting. So it's largely her fault, as opposed to him dragging her down.

NoSleep

Although maybe Jimmy will go that extra slippery mile (that brings her down) that will make Kim see him for what he is.

selectivememory

I haven't really felt the need to post much in this thread this season, but I am enjoying the show as much as ever. There's not really an aspect of it where I think "I could do with less of this". Even the lab stuff I think is really engaging.

Sebastian Cobb

This is the first one where I've been sold on the idea maybe the German's (or at least the ones that weren't Kai) won't be making it back after all.

mothman

I don't think they're the only ones. Has it ever been posited that, by the time of BB, Kim is - not to put too fine a point on it - dead? And that, even if it's not his fault in any meaningful way, Jimmy blames himself for it? He loves Kim. I can't see him ever not trying to get her back, unless it's not physically possible. And the self-loathing, guilt and self-flagellation that cone from him blaming himself for her death make for a good explanation for what makes Saul tick. I don't know how she'd die - if killed in some criminal enterprise, I doubt Saul would then build a business out of getting criminals off by fair means or foul...

Hat FM

good luck getting a heffe weissen in a bar in america back in 2004...

wooders1978

I think it would be an interesting twist if Kim and jimmy simply breakup before the events of breaking bad - they are hinting at there being big opportunities in other city's for her so it would be logical and true to life if she just breaks it off with jimmy who is holding her back a bit

mothman

That's my point, I guess. That so far our general assumption has been that it's just going to be a breakup. I'm just wondering if it's more, or worse, than that. Jimmy isn't Saul yet, and I can't see it just being his girlfriend dumping him that contributes towards that; it'd take a lot more.

NoSleep

Kim could be in prison as opposed to dead. Or has to disappear.

neveragain

As far as side-plots go, I'm enjoying the lab faff but find Nacho dull as hell.

Puce Moment

I feel quite the opposite - I am completely pulled in by Nacho's story. For such a ruthless fucker he is quite sympathetic, and how that he is Gus' bitch I really feel for him. The fact that he is not in the BB world means that he either gets away or dies horribly. I think I can guess which way that goes.

I have to say that I am finding all the stories really engaging. The Kim storyline, most of all, really chimes with me. Her passion for the legal profession being slowly eroded by the dulling machine of corporations is now quite a universal storyline. And the decision to move away from simply making her a Moral Guardian Angel doing pro-bono cases, to someone actively wishing to buck the system like Saul, is a masterstroke.

Given how they are going with this it would not surprise me one bit if Kim is the reason for Jimmy's descent into Saul, rather than being the victim.

I empathise with everyone that the Lab story had 'pointless' written all over it, and I don't think Gus would have agreed to them getting drunk in public so close to the lab. But I do like how this is really going to be about Mike, and possibly his own breaking bad, as he has to pop one in the back of a charming Kraut's bonce.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 27, 2018, 02:10:47 PM
I feel quite the opposite - I am completely pulled in by Nacho's story. For such a ruthless fucker he is quite sympathetic, and how that he is Gus' bitch I really feel for him. The fact that he is not in the BB world means that he either gets away or dies horribly. I think I can guess which way that goes.

He isn't in BB, but he is mentioned. In the very first Saul episode, when Walt and Jesse take him out to the desert, he says, "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio." Doesn't answer whether he's alive or dead in that timeline though.