Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Started by lankyguy95, May 31, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Quote from: kngen on October 10, 2018, 03:45:20 PM
What was Lalo's mention in Breaking Bad, btw? I don't recall at all, thus his introduction on BCS was less of deal for me.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: jake thunder on October 10, 2018, 11:29:43 AM
It's Boardwalk Empire to Breaking Band's Sopranos. Same style, plotting etc.... But I just don't give a shit.

Fell asleep in the last ten minutes of the finale. I think my brain's trying to tell me something.

I think your brain is trying to tell you that you can't adequately review something if you fell asleep. Any opinion you express under those circumstances is pointless.

jake thunder

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 10, 2018, 04:07:19 PM
I think your brain is trying to tell you that you can't adequately review something if you fell asleep. Any opinion you express under those circumstances is pointless.

I was more like the last 3 minutes. I've watched all 5 seasons and my opinion hasn't really changed. Only watching it now because I've commited so much time to it. And I can't wait for the Walt Jr, Gomie and Badger cameos.

Mr Farenheit

I lost it when Lalo pulled his suspended ceiling trick. Best part of the whole serieses.

Squink

Werner didn't seem all that arsed about dying. Did he want to die, maybe? Good season, much more engaging than before. I agree that only one more season is needed to wrap it up now.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

As long as there's a full episode, even a couple, of Gene in his miserable black and white world, I'll be happy whenever it has to end.

If season 5 is the last (just to keep it matching Breaking Bad) perhaps it will also get the whole longer season split in two treatment, with a pretty big time jump at the start of the second half to get things closer to breaking bad.

Slow burning series, this one. I felt at times like it wasn't leading up to anything but in a way I did enjoy that, we know BCS leads to a much bigger story so letting this play out in its own way, focusing on the characters, has been a lot of fun. Plus putting off the threat of a Walter+Jesse cameo as long as possible is fine by me.

Quote from: jake thunder on October 10, 2018, 05:28:45 PM
I was more like the last 3 minutes. I've watched all 5 seasons and my opinion hasn't really changed. Only watching it now because I've commited so much time to it. And I can't wait for the Walt Jr, Gomie and Badger cameos.

I genuinely don't understand how people can half-watch something. What's the point?

I don't want to see a Walt or Jesse cameo in this show, that would be horribly jarring and corny. BCS is better than that.

monolith

Quote from: jake thunder on October 10, 2018, 05:28:45 PM
I've watched all 5 seasons and my opinion hasn't really changed.
What happens in season 5?

lankyguy95

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on October 10, 2018, 06:08:54 PM
Slow burning series, this one. I felt at times like it wasn't leading up to anything but in a way I did enjoy that, we know BCS leads to a much bigger story so letting this play out in its own way, focusing on the characters, has been a lot of fun.
BCS seems such a passion project for the writers that I've come to see it primarily as a full fleshing-out of the BB world. As strong a show as it is individually - and it has become it's own thing - I think the writers love this world and these characters so much and have enough trust in their audience, that they're happy to go through things methodically, without signposting every connection or, for the most part, including things as mere fan-service. At times, especially around S2, they've been guilty of not pushing plot on enough but I imagine they're more willing to make that mistake than build inconsistent characters or tack on some kind of conflict or story for the sake of it.

It's also why I'd trust them if they did add a character like Jesse. I think Vince Gilligan has said he wouldn't write a throwaway cameo (which, to be honest, I think would rule Walt out, possibly aside from a flashforward in the one of those cold opens?) so if they had an idea where Jesse would fit in then I'd trust them to create it in a way where it wouldn't feel tacked on.

jake thunder

Quote from: monolith on October 10, 2018, 06:49:21 PM
What happens in season 5?

Fuck all, just like the last 4 season lol!!!

Only joking. It's alright.

jake thunder

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 10, 2018, 06:13:37 PM
I genuinely don't understand how people can half-watch something. What's the point?

3 mins out of 60 isn't half watching bro. I was fully awake during the first 57.

ccbaxter

Must admit not quite grasping Kim's dawning horror in the final scene on first view, being distracted by the fear that one of the panellists Jimmy was boasting about gulling was sure to be revealed standing right there. But then, of course, the BCS people are far far less of a hack than, er, I'd be. A classy while nifty and tantalising ending, as per.

In the opening scene, also wondered whether Jimmy was singing deliberately badly as a way to lure Chuck out of his shell - suspecting that not only would his uptight elder brother be cajoled into joining in but wouldn't be able to help but take over, to do it *right*. That tug of the microphone out of Jimmy's hand was pretty brutal. Says something about the pair - while also contrasting Jimmy's eager-to-please nature towards his brother back then with the sheer chill later.

In summary: rushed through Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul's first three series earlier this summer on Netflix, only with this one having to endure a week's wait between each episode. Now what?

BritishHobo

I really loved how Mike's storyline went - it was beautifully written and beautifully shot - and it has cautiously won me round to give at least the first couple of episodes of next season a try. God I hope it actually kicks into gear though, because it still feels like the season's trod water again on the promise at the end that we'll finally see good stuff next time. I want to love the Jimmy storyline, but Mike's slow descent has been the only interesting thing to happen.

Cuellar

Just watched it.

Always felt the lab storyline to be the most compelling. Everything post Mike and Werner was an anti climax. Enjoyed the Mike v thingy battle of wits

I'm with those who say they just don't really care about Saul's story. Never really got his appeal in BB either to be honest.

ccbaxter

Mike's voice and manner actually wavering over Werner's fate felt quite something, what with him invariably seeming just so savvily assured about everything in both shows.

hamfist

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 10, 2018, 12:51:33 AM
Can't wait for the prequel covering the backstory of Werner's Discreet  Basement Additions Company.
Wonder if there is a single word for Discreet  Basement Additions Company in german?

Unauffälligeskellererweiterungsunternehmen

Cuellar

Edit out the Saul bits, keep the Mike stuff and call it "Give Mike a Bell!", baby you got a hit!

hamfist

The very ending of it came at me a bit quick.

Reminded me of a scene from Phoenix Nights :

,,Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaax oooooonnnnnnn.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax ooooooffffffffffff.......NOW YOU'RE THE KARATE KID"

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 10, 2018, 06:16:18 PM
I don't want to see a Walt or Jesse cameo in this show, that would be horribly jarring and corny. BCS is better than that.

If it does happen I hope it's done in the most minimal way possible.
Walt just sitting in Saul's office waiting room or something.

kalowski

Wonderful. Those last two episodes especially. Kim's face dropping at the end was done perfectly. I'd bought Jimmy's act too. He did have his moment, in the car, when he burst into tears - I think that was his final 'mourning' of Chuck and he came out reborn. He could do anything after that.
Lalo is great. Although Saul mentions him in BB I'm not so sure he'll get through series 5 alive. I thought it was superb. My wife's not so keen as she finds it too slow, whereas it could be even slower for me.

I don't know anyone in real life who watches it.

jobotic

We still seem to be some way off the Saul who suggests they kill Badger without a second thought.

Anyway CAB favourite Stewart Heritage reckons BCS is better than BB. He's right.

Ja'moke

Quote from: hamfist on October 10, 2018, 09:01:15 PM
The very ending of it came at me a bit quick.

Reminded me of a scene from Phoenix Nights :

,,Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaax oooooonnnnnnn.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax ooooooffffffffffff.......NOW YOU'RE THE KARATE KID"

I doubt he's now going to be fully Breaking Bad style Saul Goodman in Season 5. He'll just be operating under that name at work, probably still dealing with low level criminals for a while, slowly starting to cut more corners and getting himself deeper into the criminal underworld (probably when Mike comes calling on behalf of Gus). I don't think it's a sudden switch. He'll still be Jimmy to Kim and whoever else in his non-work life.

NoSleep

I wonder if Mrs Werner does start enquiring into the whereabouts of her husband and Saul gets to be one of the dodgy lawyers that Mike threatened would be deployed?

Cuellar

Quote from: jobotic on October 11, 2018, 03:13:04 PM
We still seem to be some way off the Saul who suggests they kill Badger without a second thought.

Anyway CAB favourite Stewart Heritage reckons BCS is better than BB. He's right.

Yeah rewatching his introduction in BB was quite jarring. He's pretty insistent on just killing Badger.

jake thunder

Quote from: jobotic on October 11, 2018, 03:13:04 PM

No. No he isn't.

Breaking Bad is about a high school teacher who becomes a meth dealing druglord who battles gangsters and neo-nazis.

Better Call Saul is about a lawyer who remains a lawyer who battles his lawyer brother.

Cuellar

I don't want to do her down, because she's not BAD as such, but I don't get the feverish praise of Rhea Seehorn tbh. She's fine, she's good at pulling that face but meeeehhhhh. I dunno.

I do feel like I'm missing out with this program. I just don't get it.

Obel

You folk complaining that BCS is "treading water" or whatever and hoping that the next season picks up, what are you expecting to see? I don't actually understand what you are complaining about, especially after 5 seasons of the show running at the same clip. It's not an action based show, it's decidedly slower than Breaking Bad. What do you want to happen that picks up the pace?
I think it is a better show than BB, which I like generally but feel it's very overrated in general and seriously tailed off towards the end, season 5 in particular. BCS has maintained a consistent high quality level the whole time while moving at a lovely glacial pace.

My only real complaint is that it gave any screen time to those fucking twins from BB, who stick out like a sore thumb even more noticably in BCS. Absolute garbage characters.

mothman

I love how the final nail, the one thing that sends him over the edge and makes him Saul is a girl not getting a scholarship because she shoplifted one time.