Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Started by lankyguy95, May 31, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

I'm not sure they were actually giving him the job though were they? I caught out some of their mumbling and it sounded like they didn't want him to be disappointed in front of them and just wanted him out of the building. The last thing the guy said was "Can you imagine sending this guy out?" with a smirk.

selectivememory

Quote from: monolith on August 15, 2018, 12:46:52 PM
I'm not sure they were actually giving him the job though were they? I caught out some of their mumbling and it sounded like they didn't want him to be disappointed in front of them and just wanted him out of the building. The last thing the guy said was "Can you imagine sending this guy out?" with a smirk.

Nah, I put subtitles on for that bit, and they definitely did want to hire him.

Talked a bit about how exciting he seemed and how passionate he was. Said they didn't need to see anyone else.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: New Jack on August 15, 2018, 12:34:51 PM
Well, like I said before. He wanted the job, then wanted to test them, as he's turning into Saul and sees people as marks or not. He tested them and they're marks. If they still did the due diligence he probably would have taken the job

Makes sense.

I thought they meant that in a positive way. He'd crush it, charm everyone.

New Jack

Huh?

The line before that was He's exciting... It was a positive comment. They put their heads together and offered him the job.

Try it with subtitles on, they're raving about him!

NoSleep

I wonder if Jimmy wants any of the jobs he's going for? It's definitely odd what happened in the interview we saw, and we see Jimmy rethink the situation as he leaves for the first time. I'm not sure I believe they "failed" Jimmy's test and that there's another reason for the ruse (obviously something to do with the hummel figurines). Maybe he's going to get Mike to go for the job, so he had to make a swift decision to get himself off their list.

monolith

That makes a lot more sense, I rewound it back at the time to check I heard right but didn't try with subtitles on.

New Jack

Quote from: NoSleep on August 15, 2018, 01:22:17 PM
I wonder if Jimmy wants any of the jobs he's going for? It's definitely odd what happened in the interview we saw, and we see Jimmy rethink the situation as he leaves for the first time. I'm not sure I believe they "failed" Jimmy's test and that there's another reason for the ruse (obviously something to do with the hummel figurines). Maybe he's going to get Mike to go for the job, so he had to make a swift decision to get himself off their list.

Maybe, but the scene of him changing his mind (the stopping outside the door, the face closeup and expression change) was pretty significant, and nothing has no reason in this show; so it portends something larger.

So I took it as him changing his mind mainly because if he walked in with a full plan, we probably wouldn't have had that scene.

I love that this show (and this universe) doesn't explicitly tell you everything.

EOLAN

Thanks to this forum for identifying where I knew the Photocopier manager from. Being familiar but not quite able to place it I thought he was someone who turned up for some scheme later in Breaking Bad.  Also, the two guys being easy pushovers for a quick sales pitch may have reminded Jimmy of his father, leading to his 'truly sorry' comment about them.

NoSleep

Quote from: New Jack on August 15, 2018, 05:14:37 PM
Maybe, but the scene of him changing his mind (the stopping outside the door, the face closeup and expression change) was pretty significant, and nothing has no reason in this show; so it portends something larger.

So I took it as him changing his mind mainly because if he walked in with a full plan, we probably wouldn't have had that scene.

Well, yeah, he definitely changed his mind for some reason, went back in and sold himself on the spot, then told them they had failed his test (which, I guess, was the best way to get them to eliminate him from any list of potential candidates for the job). Then later we see him looking up the hummel figurines from their office and calling up Mike to book his services. I doubt that it's for a burglary, so, for example (I'm not saying this will happen), Mike will go into their office for the job, start up a conversation about the hummel figurines (which Jimmy knows they joked about throwing in the trash) and they give them to him.

Desirable Industrial Unit

It was definitely him sensing that he could get something bigger and more immediate from the place than a day job, and it is about those (in real life not too valuable) figures, but when he heads back in he's doing something else.  He's told them where they need to sharpen up in vetting, which matches Mike's shenanigans in the first episode.  I'm guessing that there will be no robbery, but a scam that will get through because Jimmy ensures that they're a bit more savvy and watertight.

NoSleep

Or maybe their increased awareness of security will interfere with Mike's ongoing endeavour at Madrigal.

Twit 2

Quote from: New Jack on August 08, 2018, 05:01:14 PM
Got to love a show where a fish is a clue to a likely desire for criminal activity

I missed that. Can someone explain?

Also can someone remind me of why Gus would be so pissed off about Nacho getting Hector? IIRC nacho wanted to get rid off Hector because he wanted to protect his dad and his buisness. Is Gus pissed off that Hector is incapacitated because he wanted to off him in his own way and time?

I actually find it really hard to remember what's happened in a previous series of this, which isn't helped by the show's admirable technique of holding stuff back and not spoon-feeding plot.

New Jack

In the podcast one of the writers mentions the interview is supposed to show Jimmy's self hatred, he's deep in denial right now, so it seems part of him rejecting that job is simply that coming to the fore. His esteem is shot, he won't let himself have nice things; or more accurately, he can't trust those that would accept him (they cite the famous Groucho quote about not joining a club that would have him as a member)

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 17, 2018, 10:37:24 AM
I missed that. Can someone explain?

I was joking a bit as it may be nonsense BUT Jimmy's fish is the same one he took to Mike's criminal vet connection (and his cover for potentially visiting the guy again, which I expect to happen soonish), so him getting up from the couch to feed it after offloading his guilt to Hamlin is an indication for where his mind is, and they keep showing it at key points, like googling the figurine prices.

QuoteAlso can someone remind me of why Gus would be so pissed off about Nacho getting Hector? IIRC nacho wanted to get rid off Hector because he wanted to protect his dad and his buisness. Is Gus pissed off that Hector is incapacitated because he wanted to off him in his own way and time?

Yes, exactly, Gus has a line in this episode about only he can choose what happens to Hector. A flashback showed that Hector had killed Gus' partner Max (by a swimming pool, which also appears in Breaking Bad) hence bigtime revenge.

Z

For some reason this thread isn't being marked as read so I'm posting to mark it off.

Do you reckon they're toying with a jump forward to modern Saul (perhaps as insurance in case Jonathan Banks dies) or is it just some very slow lead up to his utterly insignificant death?

NoSleep

I wondered if it was the programme makers telling us, "See? There was nothing wrong with Cinnabon Gene (Jimmy) after all; and we made you wait for a whole year (and more) to find that out."

monolith

I imagine the idea is to eventually catch up to present day Saul.

New Jack

Quote from: monolith on August 18, 2018, 04:49:40 PM
I imagine the idea is to eventually catch up to present day Saul.

Aye. I mean, at some point it'll just cut off as Breaking Bad begins, so I expect the flash forwards to take over, maybe a great little fade into colour, and my heart wants what my mind won't allow: Kim to walk in, recognise Jimmy, and they live happily ever after.

Been watching series 2 and 3 of Bad again, and apart from being astonishing and moreish TV, Saul is quite amoral, even immoral. Suggesting Walt and Jesse snuff Badger right off the bat, his links to Mike are very well established (Jane the smackhead's death requires Mike's involvement as a cleaner).

He has a way to go to become that Saul. I'm relishing it.

monolith

Quote from: New Jack on August 18, 2018, 04:53:29 PM
Aye. I mean, at some point it'll just cut off as Breaking Bad begins, so I expect the flash forwards to take over, maybe a great little fade into colour, and my heart wants what my mind won't allow: Kim to walk in, recognise Jimmy, and they live happily ever after.
More likely scenario, she gets killed horribly somehow because of Jimmy  :(.

The preview for next week looks pretty exciting. If I recall correctly it was towards the end of season 3 of Breaking Bad where things went absolutely batshit and barely let up until the end of the run. Might be the start of something similar here now too.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 17, 2018, 10:37:24 AM
Also can someone remind me of why Gus would be so pissed off about Nacho getting Hector? IIRC nacho wanted to get rid off Hector because he wanted to protect his dad and his buisness. Is Gus pissed off that Hector is incapacitated because he wanted to off him in his own way and time?

In addition to what New Jack said, Nacho still tried to kill his boss. As the new boss, Gus had to punish him and teach him a lesson about who takes the decisions, while still keeping Nacho in his crew, as the guy is smart and could be of some help at some point. So, he had his partner killed, told him that he knew everything about what he had done to Hector, but showed some kind of mercy, which will grant him some absolute obedience.

mothman

Remember also we have the benefit of foresight that Gus doesn't. We know that Hector is going to end up an immobile mute wreck only able to glare and ring his bell. Whereas at this point all Gus knows is he's had a stroke and may never recover at all. And, worse, it was truly something that was done to Hector - but not actually by Gus. Gus sees Nacho's abilities and potential, but he also sees him as somebody who's taken something from him, his chance for revenge.

mothman

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 21, 2018, 11:12:57 AM
Gale!

My exact intended post.

Note: North Platte, NE, is 200miles west of Omaha, now home to one Cinnabon Gene. Hmm, I say, hmm and hmm again. Hardly next door, but if Mesa Verde's expansion goes as planned and Kim's career there blossoms, could there be potential for a chance (albeit monochrome) meeting in the future?

selectivememory

Christ. Nacho is really being put through it at the moment. Victor creeps me out.

The guy Jimmy got to steal the doll for him seemed familiar, and I looked him up and it turns out he was the guy who ran the fumigation and burglary outfit in the final season of Breaking Bad. Another nice little connection between the two shows. I like seeing Jimmy build up his network of criminal contacts, because by the time he's Saul he seems to know a guy for every scenario, and it would make sense that we might see a few more familiar faces. Makes me wonder if Bill Burr is going to make an appearance soon.

Petey Pate

Interesting choice of director. Maybe this will be a CGI animated episode.

NoSleep

A musical with dancing hummels.

monolith

Gus and the twins were pretty scary in Breaking Bad but it's off the scale now knowing that they are essentially invincible.

NoSleep

mothman

Why don't you ask him? But for your own safety, do so when he's at the restaurant, maybe just after asking for some more napkins.

Artemis

The twins were the closest BB ever got to being hammy, imo. All those non-verbal knowing glances...

It's creepier to watch Victor, knowing what's coming to him.

Great episode, albeit more of a set-up than anything else. The odds must be good we'll get a reference to blue meth before the end of the season.