Author Topic: Do we have any published authors on this forum?  (Read 11888 times)

Dannyhood91

• I thought you said KING AAARTHUUUR!
Do we have any published authors on this forum?
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
My first book got published last week and I’m wondering if any one else on here has a book out or is working on one.

MoonDust

• I ALWAYS WENT TO THE CIRCUS AS A CHILD
Re: Do we have any published authors on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »
No. But I started working on one, gave up. Started working on another in a rush of creative heat. Cooled down, not touched it since.

Shit contribution, I know.

Congrats on getting your first book published!

Large Noise

• class at fighting
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
My first book got published last week and I’m wondering if any one else on here has a book out or is working on one.
Go on then, what's it called?

Dannyhood91

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
No. But I started working on one, gave up. Started working on another in a rush of creative heat. Cooled down, not touched it since.

Shit contribution, I know.

Congrats on getting your first book published!

Cheers fam!

How long ago was it when you gave up? Any potential of starting up again?

Dannyhood91

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »
Go on then, what's it called?

In Brine by Daniel Hood

Large Noise

• class at fighting
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
Cool, I'll get a copy. Is it likely to be on Kindle any time soon?

Dannyhood91

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:43:25 PM »
Cool, I'll get a copy. Is it likely to be on Kindle any time soon?

I think it's coming to kindle in a few months. Everyone thats ordered a physical copy has gotten theirs pretty quickly though.

Dannyhood91

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
and thank you  :D

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »
In Brine by Daniel Hood

Is your book cool or lame? Are you pleased with it?

MoonDust

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »
Cheers fam!

How long ago was it when you gave up? Any potential of starting up again?

A few months ago, and no. Unfortunately.

Dannyhood91

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
Is your book cool or lame? Are you pleased with it?

I am! It's made two people cry so far. I'm hoping that's not because it's fucking shit and because of the sad heartfelt poems/stories within.

Spoon of Ploff

• visitors are welcome to Sheerness
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »
I am! It's made two people cry so far. I'm hoping that's not because it's fucking shit and because of the sad heartfelt poems/stories within.

Show them the Desolation Threads. It would be good to know if these can also induce normal folk to horrible tears.

Dannyhood91

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
Show them the Desolation Threads. It would be good to know if these can also induce normal folk to horrible tears.

Haha I often show me mates stuff of there.

Dannyhood91

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
A few months ago, and no. Unfortunately.

Can I ask why not? What was it about?

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 12:06:25 AM »
I wrote a novel and after sending it out loads I got it read by Serpent's Tail, and it was due to be published. Then they changed their mind, but said they would be interested in seeing my next book. I didn't have another book in me, so I gave up.

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »
I would love to. If only I had the creativity, imagination and writing ability!

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 12:12:03 AM »
There is a Daniel Hood who writes poor fantasy fiction, but that's not you I guess.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 04:03:59 AM »

Congratulations, Danny. I used to try and get published, and then I just self published a few things to give to friends, and then I stopped writing. These days the only time I write anything is when I shitpost on here!

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
Heyyyy congrats!! That's superb.

MoonDust

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
Can I ask why not? What was it about?

It was sci-fi, or an attempt at it. Guess I got bored. It was more an idea of "what if", but struggled to think an actually interesting plot.

Dannyhood91

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
There is a Daniel Hood who writes poor fantasy fiction, but that's not you I guess.

I’ll break his legs the cunt.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
I self published a kids book and a poetry book feel free to hate and mock them

Sorry this is the only way to link to them but if you really feel the need to see them pm me and i can send horrible pdfs

Self publishing is a minefield of mineholes with more mines at the bottom of them and i think i managed to get blown up 1308 times but it feels great at the end

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benjamin-Bumford-MacGuffin-Amazeballs-Zebronkey-ebook/dp/B00MAPVQK6/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Words-Andrew-Deuchars-ebook/dp/B00P5AB39W

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
I have been working on and off on a collection of short stories on dark and macabre themes.  I now have a collection of fifteen stories of twenty pages each, which have been rewritten and improved-some a number of times.  Am starting to think I am getting to the point where they might be of publishable quality, but still have a few more story ideas to execute before I start sending them, or a selection of them, off to publishers.  If I were ever to have an actual physical paper book published, I would find that quite awesome.  Holding it in my hand would be like holding a new-born child (or so imagine, having never had a child of my own).

MoonDust

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
I might start dabbling in short stories before committing to a full novel. Probably more likely I will write something to completion then. I bought The Burrow by Kafka. A collection of short stories I think was only published last year and now I'm in a frenzy of creativity.

Question; is it cheating or taboo to write a short story based on a song? I feel if I base it on something already written like a song it's both good practice and guarantees I'll actually finish it. Lyrically I love early 80s Fall lyrics, and think there's plenty of influence there for story writing, if not outright rip offs.

Thomas

• well they do all sixteen dances.
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
I've written a 'novel' this year. I use inverted commas because it's not published and therefore it's technically just a long chain of words on a memory stick. 54,000 of them (words, not memory sticks), with incremental additions every so often now as I look back over it.

I sporadically attend a writing group, taking along a 1,500 word excerpt each time - the meetings themselves are enjoyable, but the useful part is reviewing the excerpt alone beforehand, and tweaking the bits that seem shit or embarrassing or otherwise unfit for the eyes of discerning readers.

Tailoring letters and synopses to agents is the hardest part. I've emailed two so far.

Question; is it cheating or taboo to write a short story based on a song? I feel if I base it on something already written like a song it's both good practice and guarantees I'll actually finish it. Lyrically I love early 80s Fall lyrics, and think there's plenty of influence there for story writing, if not outright rip offs.

Of course it's not cheating, it's a good idea. Especially if it spurs you towards a guaranteed completion (steady). 

Congrats on writing and publishing the ol' book, there, Danny.

Annie Labuntur

• Freelance deipnosophist
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 02:12:06 AM »
Tailoring letters and synopses to agents is the hardest part. I've emailed two so far.

Hello. Hello! Hi. Hi there! Dear Jo Unwin For the attention of Jo Unwin Hey Jo! Sir Greetings from Writersville!! To whom it may concern (bit formal!!) Dear Sir or Madam.

I'd strongly advise everyone in this thread not to bother trying, you haven't got a chance.  (Reverse psychology, aah.)

MoonDust

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
Of course it's not cheating, it's a good idea. Especially if it spurs you towards a guaranteed completion (steady). 

Fantastic. Just bashed one out (steady). Only three pages, but I think I like it.

Dannyhood91

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 10:09:17 PM »
I've written a 'novel' this year. I use inverted commas because it's not published and therefore it's technically just a long chain of words on a memory stick. 54,000 of them (words, not memory sticks), with incremental additions every so often now as I look back over it.

I sporadically attend a writing group, taking along a 1,500 word excerpt each time - the meetings themselves are enjoyable, but the useful part is reviewing the excerpt alone beforehand, and tweaking the bits that seem shit or embarrassing or otherwise unfit for the eyes of discerning readers.

Tell me more Thomas

Dannyhood91

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
Here’s a link if you wanna bust your boy some support

In Brine https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1981628819/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8KffBbQ47MFFZ

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 10:55:26 PM »
never been published but I have had a couple of plays performed