Author Topic: Do we have any published authors on this forum?  (Read 7748 times)

zomgmouse

• I have party diarrhoea.
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
Re: Do we have any published authors on this forum?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »
Technically I've had some short stories in indie lit mags does that count

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »
Former CaBber Jemble Fred has written several real proper books, including the official history of the Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. He did say once that one of the reasons he stopped coming here was it was a time-sink and he needed to get down to the paying work. Plus, the trolls.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »

Question; is it cheating or taboo to write a short story based on a song? I feel if I base it on something already written like a song it's both good practice and guarantees I'll actually finish it. Lyrically I love early 80s Fall lyrics, and think there's plenty of influence there for story writing, if not outright rip offs.

Not to put you off or anything but there's already a book of short stories based on Fall lyrics/songs. The author did a talk at Brum library a few years ago, I can't remember what he or the book was called now but I'll try and remember. He was going to do a Smiths one too but I don't know if he ever did.
It wasn't that great if memory serves so you could still do it and just do a better job!

Edit; It's called Perverted by Language and it's actually by a lot of different authors, so must have been the editor Peter Wild who did the talk.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perverted-Language-Steve-Aylett/dp/1852429291

Seems to have sunk with little trace though so fill your boots, I doubt anyone would be too bothered about there already being one.

Edit 2; He did do a Smiths one, Paint a Vulgar Picture;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paint-Vulgar-Picture-Fiction-Inspired/dp/1846686490/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

which also doesn't seem to have troubled literary history.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:53:22 PM by icehaven »

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 01:27:53 PM »
Question; is it cheating or taboo to write a short story based on a song?

i wrote a short play once that was based on the John Cale song 'Chinese Envoy'. i obviously never admitted that it was based on the song (never used the same words, just the emotions), and i got away with it

Hobo With A Shit Pun

• Fuck. You've confused the goat.
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »

I've flogged enough of this self-published underpiece to buy multiple curries with my royalties. Multiple.
Which, for the poorly edited result of assailing a non fiction work for NaNoWriMo, I take to be a success.
No groupies as yet, though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Sort-Pagan-Does-That/dp/1973558386/ref=sr_1_1/262-1413695-8218062?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528120722&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27%3ANeil+Rhind

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »
Yes I have published a monograph, an edited collection and loads of poems. HOME COMES

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
I wrote a book about Belle & Sebastian. I'm not particularly pleased with how it turned out, bits of it make me cringe, but hey ho.

Hymenoptera

• You fill me with inertia.
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
I just had a story published in Open Pen, and I've placed in a couple competitions. I'd love to publish a collection of short stories but am suddenly swamped with Real Life Shit that I have to do, so it's a bit pie in the sky now.

I have a WordPress of weird/goofy/dark short stories if anyone's interested: https://cracktank.wordpress.com/

Is self-publishing really as infuriating and complicated as it seems?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 03:57:07 PM »

Is self-publishing really as infuriating and complicated as it seems?

I've used Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing, and Createspace for physical books, and the bog standard results were no bother.

Annie Labuntur

• Freelance deipnosophist
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
Former CaBber Jemble Fred has written several real proper books, including the official history of the Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. He did say once that one of the reasons he stopped coming here was it was a time-sink and he needed to get down to the paying work. Plus, the trolls.

He's just written the authorised Fry & Laurie biography too, out in a few weeks.

Annie Labuntur

• Freelance deipnosophist
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
I wrote a book about Belle & Sebastian. I'm not particularly pleased with how it turned out, bits of it make me cringe, but hey ho.

You giving your own book 2 stars on Amazon was pretty harsh. But funny.

MoonDust

• I ALWAYS WENT TO THE CIRCUS AS A CHILD
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »
Without putting people off, isn't self-publishing a bad idea? Like, who edits it? Surely you need someone at some point to be able to judge objectively if it's good enough to be published, otherwise you could get anyone publishing any old tosh? Like how does it work?

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »
He's just written the authorised Fry & Laurie biography too, out in a few weeks.

Oh cool! Didn't know about that, cheers for the heads up.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »
Without putting people off, isn't self-publishing a bad idea? Like, who edits it? Surely you need someone at some point to be able to judge objectively if it's good enough to be published, otherwise you could get anyone publishing any old tosh? Like how does it work?

When I posted about my novel people on here offered to edit it when it was finished, and one was kind enough to read an early draft and gave me really great feedback. On that front I really need to return to it and give it one final big redraft, this year has been so hectic I've kept on putting it off but hopefully should have the time to finish it soon. After that I do plan to send it to publishers, but imagine I'll end up going down the self publishing road.

I also wrote a collection of short stories when I was 20/21 all featuring the same character at various stages in his life. I reread it whilst in hospital and cringed throughout, I always thought I might be able to rewrite it and salvage some of it, but no, it's truly quite bad!

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »
I'm represented in that book of essays on Chris Morris. There's a bloody typo in the second last sentence though so when I very occasionally come across a copy I can't help but cringe a little (and feel sorely tempted to correct said typo with a pen).

Clicking on the Amazon link, I think Danny's book looks pretty interesting so I may well check it out when I've finished my current read.

Thomas

• well they do all sixteen dances.
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 11:18:22 PM »
I'm represented in that book of essays on Chris Morris. There's a bloody typo in the second last sentence though so when I very occasionally come across a copy I can't help but cringe a little (and feel sorely tempted to correct said typo with a pen).

Indeed, you did that for me when we met at the book launch. Preach.

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »
Indeed, you did that for me when we met at the book launch. Preach.

Thanks for letting me! :p

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »
You giving your own book 2 stars on Amazon was pretty harsh. But funny.

That was generous of me.

Black Ship

• Where there is TEA, there is HOPE.
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2018, 02:52:18 AM »
Written 2 short stories for charity antholgies for "The One Million project". Three anthologies FIction, Thriller and Fantasy are available and the 4th anthology is at the editing stage.

http://theonemillionproject.com/

We are doing a launch/book signing at Bones and Pearl gallery  in Tottenham this Saturday starting 7pm if you're interested.

MoonDust

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2018, 06:17:36 AM »
I've been prolific. Hammered out three short stories since I first posted in this thread. They need editing of course. I tend to write at night in a frenzy. No idea where this spurt of creativity and imagination came from.

One is based on a Fall song, though not one off Perverted by Language, so in the clear there.

One is an attempt of dark humour and is about a nervous breakdown. Trawled through my old contributions to the desolation threads for that.

One is about an astronaut.

I'm quite enjoying this.

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »
I've had eight children's books published, with a further three coming out over the next couple of years. Got published the trad way: bought Writers & Artists Yearbook, sent first three chapters to about 25 agents, got offers of representation from two, and finally via the agent I chose offers from two publishers for my first book. Got nice advances for my books (22-30K), although none have set the world on fire sales-wise. Moved to another publisher after fifth book. Like to remain anonymous here but message me if you want details of what I've done.

Jerzy Bondov

• im bewl bb
    • Wrongfully Adapted
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
Self publishing is great and all but fucking hell its hard to catch every mistake in a novel on your own. I thought mine was pretty polished and I've been sending it agents but yesterday I was idly reading it on my Kindle andfound two new typos. And I thought I'd been through it with a fine toothcomb!

Hobo With A Shit Pun

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »
a fine toothcomb!

"fine-tooth(ed) comb".

There, someone took the bait.

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2018, 03:11:24 PM »

You hire a freelance editor, and pay good money to have someone tear your work apart and put it together again.

Many people don't. Their books are shit.

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
'The Shrieking Sixties' and 'Dead or Alive' are my main contributions to the world's bookshelves - respectively covering British horror movies of the 1960s and the 1980s. I oversaw the projects, compiled the lists of films for inclusion, wrote approximately 20 per cent of each book, invited selected writers/critics/fans to contribute, and edited the completed works in full. The 60s book was published by Midnight Marquee Press in Baltimore and has sold pretty well; the 80s one was self-published in 2015 but me and the team have prepared an expanded version which is with my American publisher at present. I co-edited the books 'Unsung Horrors' and 'Son of Unsung Horrors', and was the copy editor/proofreader on a recent book about Anthony Perkins. I've also contributed to other film-related publications over the years.

I've dabbled in a bit of fiction and have just submitted a story to a children's anthology in the U.S., although the subject matter of the tale might be too 'British' for it to make the cut. And I've written the foreword for the forthcoming paperback 'Ouija-board', part of the ongoing series from Paper Dragon Publications bringing the screenplays of writer/director Michael Armstrong into print (I was originally asked to pen a foreword for Michael's screenplay 'Mutants', written for David Bowie in the late 60s, but my submission was rejected for "saying too much about Bowie and not enough about the script").

My own current bedside reading is the 'Perverted By Language' collection, mentioned earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:30:55 PM by another Mr. Lizard »

MoonDust

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 08:12:47 PM »
My own current bedside reading is the 'Perverted By Language' collection, mentioned earlier in the thread.

I've googled this book and it seems that it's not based on the album, that just happens to be the namesake of the book. It seems actually it's Fall songs from any old album.

Damn...

Is "New Face In Hell" the inspiration of any of the stories? Asking for a friend...

Edit: Just found the contents page on Google Books. Fuck sake man!

Well, that was the song I was asking if it's okay to write fiction based on songs. I wrote a short story based on New Face in Hell.

Ah well, I enjoyed it, it's good practice. And it's not like I'll ever publish my words anyway.

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 12:27:23 AM »
I published a Sci Fi novel via Createspace in April. I don't like the book that much but it was useful because I feel it will help me write better in the future.

The cover is fantastic though, it is useful having talented friends.

Bhazor

• Are you rolling your own jelly babies in there?
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 01:53:24 AM »
In Brine by Daniel Hood

Oh was that yours? I read that. Shite mate.

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
Sort of - had a few short horror stories published in small press (a magazine called Filthy Creations) and some comics, reviews and articles I did for the sleaze/horror zine Sheer Filth! when I was 16 got republished by FAB Press a few years ago in this SF! compendium, which was unexpected:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHEER-FILTH-Bizarre-Literature-Strange/dp/1903254760

Have tried writing a couple of novels but stalled, predictably.

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
Had some short stories in Doctor Who fanzines

Yeah OK

One of them was in the same issue as a story by actual Doctor Who writer Paul Cornell