Author Topic: Do we have any published authors on this forum?  (Read 7747 times)

Re: Do we have any published authors on this forum?
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »
Congratulations Danny, Camp Tramp and all who have taken the plunge!

I got a book published traditionally, but the publishers were too small to promote it, so I don't think anyone bought it. I just self published another one a couple of weeks ago. I'm still struggling to understand how it works, although people who read it seem to like it. It's about a cult run by a narcissistic woman.

It is ok for links to be put here?

Putting one in anyway

mybook.to/PeddlingDoomsday

MoonDust

• I ALWAYS WENT TO THE CIRCUS AS A CHILD
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
I've shown my short story "A New Face in Hell" based on the Fall song (and unbeknown to me already been fucking done by a much better writer) to five friends. Most I've shared anything creative before, but I really want opinions on my writing.

They all liked it to varying degrees, except one whom I haven't heard back from yet, so don't know what they think.

In the meantime been writing away like a bastard. Loving it.

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
I suppose now is the time to confess that I'm actually James Patterson.

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:04 PM »
Damn you must be having a shitty press tour dude

Hobo With A Shit Pun

• Fuck. You've confused the goat.
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »

It is ok for links to be put here?

I hope so, as this is the second time I'm posting mine here like a slavish attentiongrabber desperate to flog £1 kindle books. :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Sort-Pagan-Does-That/dp/1973558386/ref=sr_1_1/262-1413695-8218062?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528120722&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27%3ANeil+Rhind

Note the unwieldy URL. Unlike dozybugcarrot, I had not previously thought to shrink the URL by automated means. And I find now that my work internet filters stop me from using the website that does this. But it lets me browse Amazon and comment on CAB, so it's basically foolproof.

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2018, 06:41:18 PM »
I hope so, as this is the second time I'm posting mine here like a slavish attentiongrabber desperate to flog £1 kindle books. :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Sort-Pagan-Does-That/dp/1973558386/ref=sr_1_1/262-1413695-8218062?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1528120722&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27%3ANeil+Rhind

Note the unwieldy URL. Unlike dozybugcarrot, I had not previously thought to shrink the URL by automated means. And I find now that my work internet filters stop me from using the website that does this. But it lets me browse Amazon and comment on CAB, so it's basically foolproof.

It sounds like you already know the website, but in case it's useful for anyone else. The website is here
https://www.booklinker.net/

It's great because it means you can post a link and no matter where the person clicking it is, it will take them to your book on their local Amazon site. It's free and really easy. The only snag is that some sites have trouble recognising it as a link, so you have to add hyperlink tags, but otherwise very good.

Bhazor

• Are you rolling your own jelly babies in there?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:37:16 PM by Bhazor »

smudge1971

• Who even signs out when they go to bed?
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
Congrats, Danny, and Half Man Half Biscuit have plugged it for you on their new album on the track 'Bladderwrack Allowance':

"Home sweet home
Facebook, Cook'd and Bomb'd, Wine
Who's Stuart Boam?
And why's he reading 'In Brine'?

All Surrogate

• Speak; don't confide.
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2018, 07:27:47 PM »
Louis Barfe has an account on here (Lfbarfe), and used to post a lot and host CaB Radio, but doesn't much anymore, which is a shame.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

• Fuck. You've confused the goat.
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
Shocking typos on that back cover. Hope you got fired from Edinburgh University, mate.

Ha! I did, but only because I had a massive breakdown.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
Louis Barfe has an account on here (Lfbarfe), and used to post a lot and host CaB Radio, but doesn't much anymore, which is a shame.
His book about the record industry was fookin' magnificent an' all.

MoonDust

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
Shocking typos on that back cover. Hope you got fired from Edinburgh University, mate.

This is why I have a (perhaps snobbish) view on self-publishing, and feeds into my question either on the first and second page; if people can self publish, who edits it? How good is the quality? What's stopping people selling genuine shite? I'm not saying anyone here has written shite. Not at all. But the possibility exists with self-publishing. And I dunno, just seems a bit irksome for people who've poured their heart and soul into a book and had to go through multiple publishers before someone decides to publish it, and then some random person self-publishes and might get more sales, but actually their book might be crap because they've had no professional opinion editing it, proofing it, picking out plot holes etc etc.

Like I know publishers are businesses at the end of the day and there to make money, but surely their editors have worth and use in terms of judging content? If no one in the world went through a publisher I dare say 50% of books will be just as good as the first draft of any author's work, which probably isn't that good. Probably full of mistakes, inconsistencies.

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
I suppose now is the time to confess that I'm actually Pogo Patterson.

How's Clare, Stewpot, Clare and Gripper?

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 12:40:25 PM »
…if people can self publish, who edits it? …

A professional editor. Similarly, a self-published author can pay a proof-reader.

… How good is the quality? What's stopping people selling genuine shite?... But the possibility exists with self-publishing…

How good is the quality of books published by traditional publishers?

A couple of friends were on a train and found a novel someone had left behind. When they looked at, one realised it was by someone who they had been at university with.

Curious, they read some and both thought it was badly-written crap. Additionally, the core idea behind the story, which was something like someone marrying someone to take advantage of medical insurance – and which was the supposedly unique selling point of the book – claimed something that wasn’t true. (My other friend worked in medical insurance).

It was published by a very decent publisher.

….Like I know publishers are businesses at the end of the day and there to make money, but surely their editors have worth and use in terms of judging content?...

How many publishers turned down JK Rowling’s first Harry Potter book? Something like 11, I think. *edit* According to this - http://labarker.com/HarryPotter/howharry.html - 12.

They don’t always get it right.

Also, have a look at Amanda Hocking – someone, I invariably mention in these type of things – one of the first big name self-publish authors.

Hocking was turned down by a huge number of publishers and agents, then decided to self-publish. Her books sold like hot cakes – which led to a publisher offering her a contract for a million dollars or two.

On a (much) smaller scale, one of my friends was trying to get an agent and one told her that she needed to write more before they could consider her. This coincided with one of her TV screenplays being optioned by a production company, owned by a pretty big TV star – for various reasons, it didn’t get produced but that agent for some reason, decided that my friend didn’t need to write any more before they could consider her, and were only two happy to represent her.

MoonDust

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 06:50:56 AM »
A professional editor. Similarly, a self-published author can pay a proof-reader.

Sure, but what's stopping a self-published author going "Not paying extra for a proof-reader. I've read it and it's fine,my mate says so too." and then it's full to the brim of mistakes?

Case in point: the Pagan book. Sorry, hobo, but that back cover has a lot... and the front cover has one... I also clicked the "take a look inside" and there's I'm afraid to say, a lot more...

Bhazor

« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
Ha! I did, but only because I had a massive breakdown.

Good!

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
Sure, but what's stopping a self-published author going "Not paying extra for a proof-reader. I've read it and it's fine,my mate says so too." and then it's full to the brim of mistakes?

Case in point: the Pagan book. Sorry, hobo, but that back cover has a lot... and the front cover has one... I also clicked the "take a look inside" and there's I'm afraid to say, a lot more...

Book with mistakes in tend not to do well and often get reviews slating them for spelling (if they get read at all, which the vast majority aren't).

I often read self-pubbed books and think it makes sense they weren't published, seeing as they're hackneyed, dull or amateurish. Then I read recently published novels (I've been exploring authors in a more random way, to see what's there) and while they don't tend to be as amateurish they are certainly as hackneyed and dull. Every now and again I'll read a self-pubbed or published book and be seriously impressed, but it happens about as often for each.

Good!

Woah! Why say that?

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »
What I found useful is that by writing my first novel, the next one will be even better.
I put things on paper as they came into my head, often I would have to write my way into corners which I would then have to write my way out of. Sometimes I would write down a name or place and then have to search the document when I forgot the name or correct spelling.
I edited at the end rather than I went along. So the proofreading and change making process was tiring.

I had two Chapter Twos and no Chapter One. I was able to correct that after the initial printings.

I won't make any of those mistakes the next time.

My biggest challenge is marketing.

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 07:48:48 PM »

My biggest challenge is marketing.

I don't understand how it can take up so much time. I've spent most of today trying to set up an AMS ad campaign and writing to about a thousand reviewers. All the tiny little details you have to remember and all the different, incompatible programs you have to master, surely most published authors don't bother with all this. It's like a jungle of nonsense.

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2018, 11:11:09 PM »
I've seen very few self-published books that don't look absolute shite. The book size, margins, typefaces, paper quality and design all scream amateur before you get to the actual text. It used to be an achievement to have a book published. Now publication itself (or a shoddy facsimile thereof) is something you can buy. Remember when it used to be called vanity publishing?

Dannyhood91

• I thought you said KING AAARTHUUUR!
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
I've seen very few self-published books that don't look absolute shite. The book size, margins, typefaces, paper quality and design all scream amateur before you get to the actual text. It used to be an achievement to have a book published. Now publication itself (or a shoddy facsimile thereof) is something you can buy. Remember when it used to be called vanity publishing?

It takes balls to put stuff out there creatively no matter what it is. It’s easy to badmouth something as junk when you don’t stand to loose anything.

the midnight watch baboon

• Gelled, spiky hair fragrant near my teeth
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
I'm nearly halfway through my first novel, for which I've set a wordcount target of roughly 80,000 (words)... mainly cos I read something about thrillers (which this is!!!(although with a satirical element!!)) being a minimum of 70,000. Obvs I will adjust it until I'm happy with it. I am tempted to go straight into KDP without even approaching trad publishers. Mainly cos I am risking unemployment currently and could do with instant financial gratification.

I read an article, which I can't find now, about the process of successfully marketing for SP, which essentially involves constantly spamming anyone I've ever known, cared about or admired until they lash out and mention it to all of their people. Also, choose a good front cover, plenty of artists can create one to order for a reasonable amount.
               I write for a comedy website that has kindly prommed to promote it. Although the royalties of writing for them is pretty meagre; about £150 for 50ish articles. One in three articles (at best) are used and I must have written 40,000 words in total there, half a novel of potential novel whimsy!

Thank you I look forward to your input.

Bhazor

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »
A thriller 'ey? Not very imaginative. Thought of packing it up and working in one of those stalls they have in small town shopping centers where they sell bog eyed Spongebob phone covers? I would.

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
It takes balls to put stuff out there creatively no matter what it is.
True. But not much if you're self-pubbing. That's more about ego. It's the easy route to calling yourself an author. Anyone can sell 200 copies of anything to their Facebook friends, but that's not a creative achievement. They're buying it as a favour because they like you, not your work.
I suppose it's an instant gratification thing. People like to stick stuff online and start seeing the 'like's pile up immediately. Much easier than actually going through the laborious and emotionally taxing process of trying to get your work professionally published. Same reason you see people uploading vids of themselves playing music to YouTube saying stuff like, "Made a few mistakes but it's mostly there!!" Why couldn't they be bothered to upload a vid where they don't make the mistakes? Because they're less bothered about their craft than about garnering a bit of short-term Internet kudos.

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
A thriller 'ey? Not very imaginative. Thought of packing it up and working in one of those stalls they have in small town shopping centers where they sell bog eyed Spongebob phone covers? I would.

We don't have shopping CENTERS down are way, matey. We have shopping opportunities suffixed by gate. QUEENS, WEST, BLUE ONE, BREX.

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2018, 11:55:06 PM »
How many publishers turned down JK Rowling’s first Harry Potter book? Something like 11, I think. *edit* According to this - http://labarker.com/HarryPotter/howharry.html - 12.

They don’t always get it right.

I work for one of the publishers that turned it down (and have done for the last twenty years). The reason our editor gave was that when she read the manuscript, it would have needed a lot of work to knock it into shape and she rejected it on that basis. There have been books on similar themes before (Wizard Of Earthsea for example), and unfortunately none of those turned into global publishing phenomena...

Catalogue Trousers

• With tremendous protein value
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2018, 03:32:36 AM »
Eight short stories published so far in various small-press anthologies, one steampunk, seven horror of one stripe or another. Currently getting near to finally turning the steampunk one into the first draft of a novel, hopefully to be published somehow sooner rather than later. Also,reviews/features in four volumes by many contributors detailing the many joys of horror films...the four another Mr. Lizard mentioned, in fact...

Wet Blanket

• I am the Colour Blind Dog-Thief
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
I work for one of the publishers that turned it down (and have done for the last twenty years). The reason our editor gave was that when she read the manuscript, it would have needed a lot of work to knock it into shape and she rejected it on that basis. There have been books on similar themes before (Wizard Of Earthsea for example), and unfortunately none of those turned into global publishing phenomena...

That's interesting, particularly when you consider the subsequent ones balloon into 800-odd page doorstoppers. Has the manuscript she submitted ever been leaked? It'd be interesting to compare the two.

I've nearly finished the second draft of my second attempt at a novel. I'm then going to give it a final going over before attempting to flog it to an agent. I was going to go about this by looking up potentially sympathetic agents in the Writers and Artists' Yearbook. I also follow a few literary agents on Twitter, just to see what floats their boats.

I read somewhere that you should give about 12 agents a pass at it (but not all at once) and if they all reject it chances are your book has something wrong with it.

My ambition is a paltry advance from an independent publisher, a limited print-run, most copies remaindered to a The Works bookshop and then continued obscurity. I mean, that's more than most people can hope for isn't it? I don't think I'd bother uploading it myself as an ebook or anything like that.

Bhazor

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
What are the profit margins on a print book anyway? I remember reading that on a $20 book from Waterstones the author is earning less per copy than the truck driver who takes it from the warehouse to the shop. It's what made me stop buying print books. Realising that the only people I want to support (the author(s) and possibly the editor and any translators) are receiving only a tiny portion of the money I'm paying. With the majority of the money just going to the physical printing, transportation and retail cut.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:06:29 PM by Bhazor »

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »
Dunno re the print profit margins. I suppose each deal is on its own terms. If you go with an ebook I believe you retain the rights should any publisher want to put it on bookshop shelves. I think working up a dialogue with literary agents on Twitter is a good idea, even to the extent of brashly teasing them with zinging plotlines and dialogue from yo book.

I am on a remarkable upswing atm so I will possibly change my tactics when it comes to the dealing and financing and ask my dad to help.