Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

Started by alan nagsworth, June 01, 2018, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Old Danny boy just goes from strength to strength, doesn't he? This album is fucking tremendous. For some reason is clicked a lot quicker than Garden of Delete, possibly because I was put off by that direction at the time, but now it all makes perfect sense. Once again he's put together an album of incredibly evocative music that conjures its own landscape in your mind immediately. Twisted, glitchy baroque r'n'b, utterly gorgeous and perplexing at every turn. I am in love with 0pn and I think he's a goddamn genius in all honesty.

Look at the CD packaging for this thing:

I can't wait to own it.

Oh and here's the video for Black Snow, which is also incredible.

kittens

received my nice vinyl of this today, along with the bad t shirt i paid a huge amount of money for that i will never wear. very much looking forward to listening to it. when i first listened to black snow i was like 'this is shit isn't it'. but then i kept finding myself singing it. looking forward to the rest, i hope it is very ugly

JohnnyCouncil

I've been looking forward to this since I heard Black Snow. I'm hoping it was just my mood earlier but It didn't click at all.

BlodwynPig

Listening to this after The Black Dog - Post-Truth, also a contender for album of the year.

BlodwynPig

The auto-tuned country and western shit can fuck right off.

Bazooka

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know a new album was coming out. I think in terms of creating unique sonic environments he is definitely top tier and brilliant at creating the marriage of audio and visuals, however I can't casual listen to his music at all. Anyway I look forward to hearing the whole thing.

jobotic

So is it like "Animals"? I love that. Part of the joy of it though is the noise that's made whenever he stops singing, such a great effect.

JohnnyCouncil

Enjoyed this slightly more on a second concentrated listen. It's strange, Black Snow is definitely the odd one out on this as it's an actual song, Toys 2 and The Station stood out but the rest doesn't cut it for me. Enjoyed the harpsichord.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on June 02, 2018, 01:47:42 PM
Enjoyed this slightly more on a second concentrated listen. It's strange, Black Snow is definitely the odd one out on this as it's an actual song, Toys 2 and The Station stood out but the rest doesn't cut it for me. Enjoyed the harpsichord.

Prefer a synclavier. There were a few songs - Babylon being the biggest pile of shit I've heard in a long while. Modern Nashville chart shite. The Station, Toys 2 and Last Known Image of a Song are great though.

Great sounds, the composition and structures are not for me.

buttgammon

Black Snow is a great track, and I've been desperately looking forward to this for ages. Must give it a listen!

Glebe

Oneohtrix Potter is one of my favourite authors.

pancreas

I didn't like this. It was like music, but arbitrarily mucked up every few seconds. e.g. Ooh let's have some white noise, oh, I don't know, let's just put it HERE.

I agree, too abstract by far. Inventive synth sounds, some fascinating textures and combinations but nothing to hang onto.

BlodwynPig

but what about the stupid autotune nu-country shite...much worse than any of the white noise.

alan nagsworth

V disappointed that people are not feeling it en masse. I've listened to it several times and it's so rewarding. Sullen, lonesome, abstract pop that deconstructs a number of conventional styles with deft noise precision that is never overbearing and always on point, all whilst maintaining a solid and singular vision. Such a strong piece of work.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 04, 2018, 07:39:34 PM
V disappointed that people are not feeling it en masse. I've listened to it several times and it's so rewarding. Sullen, lonesome, abstract pop that deconstructs a number of conventional styles with deft noise precision that is never overbearing and always on point, all whilst maintaining a solid and singular vision. Such a strong piece of work.

Skrillex meets Nu-Country.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 04, 2018, 08:54:08 PM
Skrillex meets Nu-Country.

We're only supposed to make these jokes about music I don't like!!

buttgammon

Enjoying this as a whole (except the aforementioned country and western shite). Black Snow is the only track where Lopatin's voice works for me, though. His music is so beautifully layered that it often takes it a while for it to click with me, so I think this has the potential to be a grower.

sevendaughters

love 0PN! he's done some great stuff! Eccojams is one of the best of all time! didn't like this though! at all! don't think the world needs another sparse Bon Iver sad RnB album! don't @ me!

James Ferraro does this particular thing better for me. 0pn néed 2 bk da fk up and git gud.

purlieu

Quote from: buttgammon on June 05, 2018, 09:03:45 AM
Enjoying this as a whole (except the aforementioned country and western shite). Black Snow is the only track where Lopatin's voice works for me, though. His music is so beautifully layered that it often takes it a while for it to click with me, so I think this has the potential to be a grower.
Vocals on this album are by Prurient and Anohni.

Gorgeous melodies as ever, but I was hoping for a bit more than basically a mashup of R+7 and Garden of Delete. The acoustic sounds are a nice touch, but all the synths and textures really just sound overfamiliar having listened to those two albums. I'll give it another few listens before properly making up my mind, but so far this is the first time he's disappointed me.

buttgammon

Quote from: purlieu on June 07, 2018, 12:26:53 PM

Gorgeous melodies as ever, but I was hoping for a bit more than basically a mashup of R+7 and Garden of Delete. The acoustic sounds are a nice touch, but all the synths and textures really just sound overfamiliar having listened to those two albums. I'll give it another few listens before properly making up my mind, but so far this is the first time he's disappointed me.

Not Lopatin himself? In that case, I like the Anohni ones (and the stuff she has done with Lopatin in the past) but not the Prurient ones.

hedgehog90

Just found out that it's not pronounced oh-neo-trix and I've gone right off him.

Mass_Panic

Not really liking this unfortunately. Seems like a big step backwards. There is some good stuff hidden away, but the vocal stuff is appalling in my opinion and absolutely ruins any chance this had of being a good album as a whole. As he is such a talented composer and sound designer, I can't fathom what the hell was he thinking with those awful autotuned vocals.

Gradual Decline

Quote from: purlieu on June 07, 2018, 12:26:53 PM

Not exclusively - it's Dan's voice on Black Snow, plus a few others.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gradual Decline on June 09, 2018, 11:10:56 PM
Not exclusively - it's Dan's voice on Black Snow, plus a few others.

Well all the vocals sound the same....autotuned shite. Absolute Grade A shite. No worth.

Gradual Decline

Ha, well I can't disagree with that.

wasp_f15ting

I don't get this album.. I bought it just because of the way it looked.. and thus far very confused.

Funcrusher

Listening to this on Spotify. It sounds like an autotuned version of Scott Walker's 'Tilt' no one was clamouring for mixed with rejected incidental music from  'Game of Thrones'. The kids really do listen to some rubbish these days.