Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Civilization is a roguelike

Started by Twed, June 02, 2018, 04:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Fry

I've never played a game of civ past about 60 turns, just gets boring for me after that. I'm all about finding the first few locations for your first couple of cities and getting those early resources and getting into simple scraps with barbarians. Don't like it when it becomes complex.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Civ II seems to rush through interesting phases, the post-Medieval period with ridiculously expensive and cumbersome early tech, and the Industrial Revolution/Bismarck kinda era. Before you know, you're in fucking space.

That said, the WWII scenario played as Russia is an immense and terrifying initiation to the game, every turn spent developing railroads in the East dedicated to pouring more and more riflemen to the frontline to fight the Nazi onslaught. It's only some muddy pixels on the screen but that period where the Axis invade is intense and it really does feel like an existential fight, even if you changed the names of the actors from Russia and Germany to "Biltong McTesco" and "I Love The Rape Clause".

Twed

Quote from: Fry on June 02, 2018, 09:40:56 AM
I've never played a game of civ past about 60 turns, just gets boring for me after that. I'm all about finding the first few locations for your first couple of cities and getting those early resources and getting into simple scraps with barbarians. Don't like it when it becomes complex.
I think that's very true. As much as I love Civ, every game becomes a big blur after a certain point. I want the research and technology trees and history elements of Civ in a game that lets you nurture your assets a little more, instead of turning into a big numbers game. It's so much fun when you start off with your three or four cities and micromanage them, but it just doesn't scale well and I get to the point where I am pumping out cities without even bothering to name them.

a peepee tipi

*rogue-lite, you daft FUCK

I'm also with Fry

Twed

I have zero respect for the term roguelike. It fails in its job to act as a shorthand for anything, instead producing a million pedantic arguments.

Bhazor

It does allow you to differentiate between proper roguelike games like Angband or Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode and roguelites that are basically action games with randomised levels and permadeath.

bgmnts

Civ Rev is pretty good if you dont like the complexity of Civ. Quite fast paced and more simplistic. I like it.

Norton Canes

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri all the way for me.

king_tubby

Dawn of Civilisation mod for Civ IV. You can't go wrong with this one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Remember the Throne Room scenes guys :(

Yeah you hired some skilled visual artist to make the game look flashier BUT THIS IS THE ONE PART WHERE THAT ADDS NOTHING

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 02, 2018, 10:44:37 AM
Civ II seems to rush through interesting phases, the post-Medieval period with ridiculously expensive and cumbersome early tech, and the Industrial Revolution/Bismarck kinda era. Before you know, you're in fucking space.

They never quite manage to hit that sweet spot do they? Nothing happens for years and then loads happens in a few years. Used to enjoy sending out my chariots to fight riflemen in 1992 AD.

Bhazor