Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mario Tennis

Started by Twed, June 02, 2018, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Deserves its own thread. It's pure game. Everybody with a Switch can be playing this for free right now.

Lots of people don't know how to play. I'm no expert, but have discovered this key point: everything in the game is named badly.

Charge Shots
You'd think this meant some kind of special shot that hits really hard and is hard to perform. No. Charge shots should be most of your shots. If the ball is coming towards you and you're not planning to do another specific thing, do a charge shot. Hold down the "HIT BALL" button and keep it held down. When the ball comes to you the character will swipe it automatically and fill up your energy meter. That's why it's called a charge shot: it's for charging up your energy, and is the bread and butter of everything.

Trick Shots
These should be called "save shots". If you're definitely going to miss the ball, hit the right stick in the direction of it and time will slow a little bit  and if you're not simply too late you'll save the shot.

You can also do a trick shot really early to fill up your energy bar considerably, but that's for when you've mastered everything else.

Star Shots
If you get on the star, try doing a different kind of shot (y button or b button). It'll be powerful and probably out of your opponent's reach.

The special star shots are okay, but don't waste your energy on them if you're only just able to squeeze one of them out. You're probably just as likely to win with a sneaky star lob, and your energy meter is better used for saving yourself from your opponent.

Check out the tight shorts on the club pro.

(Useful post).

DocDaneeka

I really like it, quite complicated controls and tactics but when you get it right it feels very satisfying. Don't enjoy the online aspect so I hope the adventure mode and single player tournaments are fun.

Kelvin

For those of you who are definitely planning to buy it, there's some deal if you pre-order. 300 gold points (£3), I think.

A crap offer, certainly, but if you know you're going to get the game anyway, you might as well cash it in.

As for me, I'm still on the fence. Not about the game, which I really liked. I'm just so awful at it, I genuinely don't know if it would be worth me buying it.

Dex Sawash

My joy con batteries are dead, how long do they take to charge?

Twed

Where's the nearest shop that sells a Pro Controller?

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Twed on June 02, 2018, 09:26:13 PM
Trick Shots
These should be called "save shots". If you're definitely going to miss the ball, hit the right stick in the direction of it and time will slow a little bit  and if you're not simply too late you'll save the shot.

All your top tips are good top tips but this is the top top tip – the change of thinking really helps clarify. But I'm still a handfisted fuck in actually executing them. I've tried using the right stick, and tried doing it the double x way, and it's still hovering around 5% success of actually getting it to do what I want when I want. It just feels a bit wrong.

I've also just tried using the not-d-pad rather than the L stick, and I might prefer it (as it feels like a very digital game, the analogue controls feel a bit off). I'm holding my own against people in the thousands of XP (or whatever it's called) and smashing the noobs now, so it has grown on me quite a lot.

Twed

Oh the d-pad works? Nice! I didn't realise (decided to stop playing until game is actually out).

I think it's all about timing with trick shots. For me they only really work surprisingly late, maybe even after the ball has bounced on my side of the court. I haven't played since I created this thread, but I remember that time freezes a little bit if you do it right. In my mind's eye I'm picturing Peach and Waluigi doing this, so maybe it's stats-based and works better with some characters?

The other side of trick shots seems to be a risk/reward thing. As the game tutorial clumsily tries to explain, pulling off an early trick shot gives you lots of XP. For me, this involves guessing when the opponent is going to try sending the ball to the other side of the court, and executing the trick shot move as they hit the ball to you. Pretty satisfying when it works out, but dismal when you twirl off to the other side of the court and miss an easy volley.

This is a brilliant game.

If you unlock Waluigi give him a shot, because he prances around like a tit and it is hilarious.

Timothy

Its almost impossible to lose with chainstomp!

Fun game.

Crabwalk

Record so far: won 3 lost 14. I am so shit. Why are other players getting fully charged so much faster than me?

Timothy

No, you're not shit. They put players with a few wins/losses against people with around 200 wins. No wonder some people find it incredibly easy and others difficult.

Beagle 2

Er yeah, I'm horses' arses at this. I want to be good because Mario Tennis on the Gamecube was the only game I was able to beat absolutely anybody at. But I am not good.

falafel

So do we know if you will be able to have non-random online matches in this?

Mango Chimes

I think I'm buying this, lads. Miss it.

madhair60

It's almost impossible to believe that a Mario Tennis game could actually be good since the GBA. I don't believe it, in fact. Is this mania induced by the Switch's game drought?

What game drought?

Sell your stupid Master System bullshit jerk off collection and get with the god damn programme.

madhair60

Bloody love you. Glad you came back. I burst out laughing at your post about how fast you could run.

rue the polywhirl

Pysched for this. Has anyone done Mortal Kombat Tennis where a special shot literally rips through the opponent's torso as well as shattering their racquet to bits? Requesting Mortal Kombat characters and moves as downloadable extras.

FredNurke

Just as long as the player apologises afterwards.

Beagle 2

Quote from: madhair60 on June 05, 2018, 08:13:04 AM
It's almost impossible to believe that a Mario Tennis game could actually be good since the GBA. I don't believe it, in fact. Is this mania induced by the Switch's game drought?

Personally, it's because I love Mario Tennis, but to be honest I would have been fine with a remastered Mario Tennis game for not fifty quid.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 05, 2018, 09:29:17 AM
Bloody love you. Glad you came back. I burst out laughing at your post about how fast you could run.

I've no idea what this was, must be someone else.

Dex Sawash

Joy cons fully charged now.

Usually takes a couple of hours, if yours took four days probably send them back to Nintendo for a refurb or new set.

Replies From View

Nice to see the Virtual Boy getting some love at last.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 10, 2018, 09:49:02 AM
Usually takes a couple of hours, if yours took four days probably send them back to Nintendo for a refurb or new set.

I hadn't checked them between those posts, wife was watching the tennis and I said lets play the demo and grabbed the switch, all excited like, and saw the demo was over and I've been running sentences on ever since.

Network issues from the demo are totally sorted. I've only played a few games in the full release but they've been perfect. The matchmaking checks are one key difference, it feels much better. Not entirely convinced by the actual game but I suspect it's got its own rhythm and mechanics which need to click. I would have ditched ARMS based on the initial demo but it turned out to be one of the best games on the system.

Kelvin

Apparently the single player stuff isn't up to much cop, but the core mechanics are really good for multiplayer and online.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 05, 2018, 09:45:35 AMPysched for this. Has anyone done Mortal Kombat Tennis where a special shot literally rips through the opponent's torso as well as shattering their racquet to bits? Requesting Mortal Kombat characters and moves as downloadable extras.

I miss when Mortal Kombat included bonus games, such as a Mario Kart style racer, a Super Puzzle Fighter clone and a weird Battle Chess type thing.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on June 22, 2018, 08:17:15 AM
core mechanics

I love how gamers say stuff like this and we all know what it means. When you stop and think about it that is mental.

I'm as crap at this as I have been at any game ever made. Total waste of forty quid, no fun at all. I find the controls fiddly as fuck and don't understand how I'm supposed to use the various bits of shit tactically.