Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:24:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (robotic police officer film)

Started by St_Eddie, June 03, 2018, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Of the two films I've seen Weller in, in one he's a robot that kills people and in the other he's a person that kills robots. Mad eh?

Shit Good Nose

Default CaB mention of Blue Jean Cop.

Benjaminos

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 05, 2018, 08:51:00 PM
Of the two films I've seen Weller in, in one he's a robot that kills people and in the other he's a person that kills robots. Mad eh?

Screamers? Hugely underrated film, that.

sevendaughters

weirdly a guy on my upgrade interview, the chair of the panel, looked like Alex Murphy as robot policeman when his helmet comes off. crossed with Julius from The Thick of It.

bgmnts

Just chucking this on because of this thread and FUCK ME ROBOCOP IS AWESOME.

Robocop is life.

Glebe

Btw, is this the Robocop that's a film about a robotic police officer, or... oh wait, yeah.

Custard

Yeah, rewatched it tonight too.

Forgot how brutal Bob Morton's death was. And what an evil cunt Dick Jones is. "I'm cashing you out, Bobbbb"

The remake had exactly 0 decent villains. The original has 2 great ones. Fun With Dick and Clarence

St_Eddie

Quote from: Benjaminos on June 05, 2018, 03:34:55 PM
Robocop was the first 18 certificate film I ever watched...

I first saw Robocop when I sneaked into my living room to have a cheeky peak, whilst my Dad and his friend were watching it (during the initial ED-209 scene, to be exact).  My Dad spied me and told me that I wasn't allowed to watch it but he eventually relented, due to my protests.  From that day forth, my Dad was a lot more lax on my viewing habits and allowed me to watch the likes of The Evil Dead and The Exorcist (the latter of which, he ordered an NTSC VHS copy of because it was still banned in the UK at the time).  I'm eternally grateful to my Dad, for he gave me a life long love of film and horror in particular.  Thank you, Dad.  You're the best.

biggytitbo

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 06, 2018, 08:07:43 AM
I first saw Robocop when I sneaked into my living room to have a cheeky peak, whilst my Dad and his friend were watching it (during the initial ED-209 scene, to be exact).  My Dad spied me and told me that I wasn't allowed to watch it but he eventually relented, due to my protests.  From that day forth, my Dad was a lot more lax on my viewing habits and allowed me to watch the likes of The Evil Dead and The Exorcist (the latter of which, he ordered an NTSC VHS copy of because it was still banned in the UK at the time).  I'm eternally grateful to my Dad, for he gave me a life long love of film and horror in particular.  Thank you, Dad.  You're the best.

You are now a serial killer though, so its swings and roundabouts.

Shit Good Nose

My first 18s were Die Hard, Robocop and Predator, all hired the same night from what was then our local Threshers booze shop.  I must've been 11 or 12, and likewise with this...

I'm eternally grateful to my Dad, for he gave me a life long love of film and horror in particular.

My dad, bless his soul, was a bit of a film buff and got me into films from a very early age - one of my earliest memories (at the age of 3, which biggy refuses to believe is an actual memory) was him taking me to see The Jungle Book (which, along with The Aristocats and Robin Hood - he was a big Phil Harris fan - was his favourite Disney film) when it was rereleased at the cinema in 1982.  So, anyway, by the time we get to the late 80s I'd seen a LOT of films and was showing my dad stuff he'd never seen and we'd sit down and usually watch Moviedrome (which I'd recorded as it was on past my bedtime) together, and I think I demonstrated that I knew the difference between film and real life, so he similarly relaxed his control over what I watched, and would often watch them with me (he enjoyed Die Hard, but wasn't all that taken with Robocop or Predator, but then he was more into noir, old school comedy and 70s American thrillers).

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on June 06, 2018, 08:17:28 AM
Bloody dad!!!

Heh.

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 06, 2018, 08:19:57 AM

You are now a serial killer though, so its swings and roundabouts.

Hey, what can I say; my Dad taught me well.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2018, 08:25:54 AM
My dad, bless his soul, was a bit of a film buff and got me into films from a very early age - one of my earliest memories (at the age of 3, which biggy refuses to believe is an actual memory) was him taking me to see The Jungle Book (which, along with The Aristocats and Robin Hood - he was a big Phil Harris fan - was his favourite Disney film) when it was rereleased at the cinema in 1982.  So, anyway, by the time we get to the late 80s I'd seen a LOT of films and was showing my dad stuff he'd never seen and we'd sit down and usually watch Moviedrome (which I'd recorded as it was on past my bedtime) together, and I think I demonstrated that I knew the difference between film and real life, so he similarly relaxed his control over what I watched, and would often watch them with me (he enjoyed Die Hard, but wasn't all that taken with Robocop or Predator, but then he was more into noir, old school comedy and 70s American thrillers).

More posts like this please, people.  I enjoy reading about how folks became cinephiles.

Custard

My dad was really good when it came to films. Even when I was at a young age, he was renting out RoboCop, Predator, Big Trouble In Little China etc, and letting me watch them. Did me no harm. Except those 42 people I sliced up and murdered with a Stanley, but that was growing up.

One of my most thrilling memories is my dad taking me to see the rated 12 Batman when I was 10.

These days it's me putting on films for him, whenever my parents visit. He likes action, so he lapped up Deadpool, Baby Driver, and John Wick

I'm gonna whack on RoboCop 2 later. Don't know why I've never got round to it. I've had a copy for years, too

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 06, 2018, 09:31:27 AM
My dad was really good when it came to films. Even when I was at a young age, he was renting out RoboCop, Predator, Big Trouble In Little China etc, and letting me watch them. Did me no harm. Except those 42 people I sliced up and murdered with a Stanley, but that was growing up.

Heh.  I make the same kind of self-deprecating jokes but as I'm sure you already know, it's daft to think that watching 18 certificate films as a kid, will turn you into a serial killer.  The fact that I'm a serial killer has absolutely nothing to do with my penchant for horror movies.  The two are entirely unrelated.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 06, 2018, 09:31:27 AMI'm gonna whack on RoboCop 2 later. Don't know why I've never got round to it. I've had a copy for years, too

I reckon you'll like it.  Whatever the case, I'd care to hear your thoughts.

colacentral

My brother is ten years older than me, and I distinctly remember him showing me all three original Omen films before I'd started primary school. Because of me and him sharing a bedroom I got the usual diet of Die Hard, Predator, Robocop etc mentioned above at similar obscenely young ages - somewhere between 3 and 7. We also had VHS tapes of Friday the 13th and Basket Case next to the SNES on our desk and I loved just looking at the cover art.

Because of that, for years I always thought it would be fine to show kids anything at any age, but now I'm old enough to realise that everyone's different for one thing, and secondly, I'm on CaB.

thraxx

My father, through complete lack of interest as much as anything else, had no issue in us watching whatever we wanted as soon as we got a VHS player.  Luckily we had George the pirate video man, who looked exactly like Peter Sallis, and used to come to our house on a Monday evening with 2 holdalls full of pirated VHS tapes.  £3 quid a tape a week. 

Dad had access to the 'Dads only films' holdall, which we were never allowed to select from, but he had no problem about leaving the tapes around for us to watch anyway.  We'd wait until the parents were out and invite our pals round to watch them.  We had to invent a system so we could leave each tape in exactly the position we found them, but also ensure the tape counter on the player was back on the number we had found it in to avoid detection.  My favorite naughty film; was called 'Ouch!', which we called 'Oooch', because we were too young to read the hand scrawled labels properly.  Whilst he was distracted selecting The Naughty Ninja Girls or whatever, we'd be free to pull out stuff like Troll, Creepers, Scanners, Evil Dead etc...  from the other holdall.  Of course, in the 80s none of us had any idea what these films were so seeing them at the age of 7 was both terryfying and thrilling.  I remember Evil Dead 2 and Troll particularly traumatising.  Never done us any harm in the long run though.

We'd get the latest videos before they'd been released even in the US, so stuff like Robocop, Gremlins, etc... as a result we saw every film that came out months before it came out in the UK, which was good in a way, but also bad because it meant you had no one to talk about it with for months.  However it all came to an end at the end of 1990 when we were desperate to see Terminator, because George the Pirate Video Man disappeared, probably either abroad or to prison.

28 years old you were.

St_Eddie

Quote from: colacentral on June 06, 2018, 04:24:24 PM
My brother is ten years older than me, and I distinctly remember him showing me all three original Omen films before I'd started primary school. Because of me and him sharing a bedroom I got the usual diet of Die Hard, Predator, Robocop etc mentioned above at similar obscenely young ages - somewhere between 3 and 7. We also had VHS tapes of Friday the 13th and Basket Case next to the SNES on our desk and I loved just looking at the cover art.

Because of that, for years I always thought it would be fine to show kids anything at any age, but now I'm old enough to realise that everyone's different for one thing, and secondly, I'm on CaB.

Quote from: thraxx on June 06, 2018, 04:53:56 PM
My father, through complete lack of interest as much as anything else, had no issue in us watching whatever we wanted as soon as we got a VHS player.  Luckily we had George the pirate video man, who looked exactly like Peter Sallis, and used to come to our house on a Monday evening with 2 holdalls full of pirated VHS tapes.  £3 quid a tape a week. 

Dad had access to the 'Dads only films' holdall, which we were never allowed to select from, but he had no problem about leaving the tapes around for us to watch anyway.  We'd wait until the parents were out and invite our pals round to watch them.  We had to invent a system so we could leave each tape in exactly the position we found them, but also ensure the tape counter on the player was back on the number we had found it in to avoid detection.  My favorite naughty film; was called 'Ouch!', which we called 'Oooch', because we were too young to read the hand scrawled labels properly.  Whilst he was distracted selecting The Naughty Ninja Girls or whatever, we'd be free to pull out stuff like Troll, Creepers, Scanners, Evil Dead etc...  from the other holdall.  Of course, in the 80s none of us had any idea what these films were so seeing them at the age of 7 was both terryfying and thrilling.  I remember Evil Dead 2 and Troll particularly traumatising.  Never done us any harm in the long run though.

We'd get the latest videos before they'd been released even in the US, so stuff like Robocop, Gremlins, etc... as a result we saw every film that came out months before it came out in the UK, which was good in a way, but also bad because it meant you had no one to talk about it with for months.  However it all came to an end at the end of 1990 when we were desperate to see Terminator, because George the Pirate Video Man disappeared, probably either abroad or to prison.

Lovely stuff.

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on June 06, 2018, 07:41:34 PM
28 years old you were.

29, to be precise.

Custard

Heh, well I quite liked RobertCop 2. Certainly not as bad as its reputation suggests

The only bits I found a bit clunky were the kid villain (why does anyone listen to him, or take him seriously?), and the weak attempts at humour with RobertCop being loaded with public friendly directives

The villains are nowhere near as interesting or as effective as in the first film, but not too bad. The lady one getting her neck snapped was grim and really well done

Quite liked the robot villain too, though he was no ED 209

Was a bit weird also that The Old Man went from a bit of a doddery old fool in the first one, to a scheming evil shitbag in this one, but I guess they needed someone to fill the Dick Jones role

It wasn't bad though. 3 buns!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 07, 2018, 09:29:21 AM
Heh, well I quite liked RobertCop 2. Certainly not as bad as its reputation suggests

The only bits I found a bit clunky were the kid villain (why does anyone listen to him, or take him seriously?), and the weak attempts at humour with RobertCop being loaded with public friendly directives

The villains are nowhere near as interesting or as effective as in the first film, but not too bad. The lady one getting her neck snapped was grim and really well done

Quite liked the robot villain too, though he was no ED 209

Was a bit weird also that The Old Man went from a bit of a doddery old fool in the first one, to a scheming evil shitbag in this one, but I guess they needed someone to fill the Dick Jones role

It wasn't bad though. 3 buns!

As I read your post, I was nodding in sagelike agreement.

I'm tempted to suggest that you watch Roberto-cop 3, just so I can bask in the glory of your vitriolic reaction to it but even I'm not that cruel.

Custard

Hehe, I did think about checking that one out too. I have it somewhere

This from IMDB just gave me a big laugh:

RoboCop 2 (1990)

Nancy Allen was looking forward to doing the original script for the sequel under Tim Hunter's direction. When Hunter was replaced by Irvin Kershner, Kershner completely changed the script, and (according to Allen) took out all the intelligence and humor. She went on record in a Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival interview in July 2010, four months before Kershner's death, saying that she hated Kershner and hated working with him. "And you can tell him that, I don't care."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100502/trivia?item=tr2954532

Harsh

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 07, 2018, 09:44:08 AM
Hehe, I did think about checking that one out too. I have it somewhere

If you can make it through the entire movie, then you're a greater person than I.  I've tried several times and on every single occasion, I stop watching halfway through, out of sheer boredom.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 07, 2018, 09:44:08 AM
She went on record in a Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival interview in July 2010, four months before Kershner's death, saying that she hated Kershner and hated working with him. "And you can tell him that, I don't care."

Blimey!

Operty1

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2018, 10:16:59 AM
If you can make it through the entire movie, then you're a greater person than I.  I've tried several times and on every single occasion, I stop watching halfway through, out of sheer boredom.

Blimey!

It's worth watching for the horrendous special effects of Robocop's jet pack scenes towards the end, one in which he's swinging around from the ceiling on a bit of string. Unless they have removed the string for the blu ray version (which i doubt).

FredNurke

Right, you bastards, you've compelled me to purchase the Cyberpig film. There seems to be more than one bluray version available. Is there any difference between them?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: FredNurke on June 07, 2018, 12:43:22 PM
Right, you bastards, you've compelled me to purchase the Cyberpig film. There seems to be more than one bluray version available. Is there any difference between them?

As long as it says it's the remastered director's cut version you should be good. The previous blu-ray release before this one used a pretty drab print but the remastered version is a lot nicer.

Whatever you do, don't accidentally pick up the remake like some well-meaning old biddy buying Asylum superhero movies for her grandson.

Custard

I own this version, and it's easily one of the nicest steelbooks (or things) I own - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H45FLVC/

Gotta say though, I wasn't blown away by the quality of the transfer. Looked a bit grainy. It says it's the remastered version though, so maybe it's just my eyes

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 07, 2018, 01:02:37 PM
Gotta say though, I wasn't blown away by the quality of the transfer. Looked a bit grainy. It says it's the remastered version though, so maybe it's just my eyes

A film filmed on film (as in celluloid) SHOULD be a bit grainy.  It's when it's overly smooth and everyone looks like they're wearing fake masks of themselves it starts to go wrong because the picture noise reduction has been overly done, a la one of the versions of Aliens where James Cameron was boasting about how they removed every single bit of celluloid grain to make it look like it was made yesterday.  And then everyone saw it.  Oops!  Still, Aliens is shit anyway so it doesn't really matter does it..........

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2018, 01:11:37 PM
A film filmed on film (as in celluloid) SHOULD be a bit grainy.  It's when it's overly smooth and everyone looks like they're wearing fake masks of themselves it starts to go wrong because the picture noise reduction has been overly done, a la one of the versions of Aliens where James Cameron was boasting about how they removed every single bit of celluloid grain to make it look like it was made yesterday.  And then everyone saw it.  Oops!  Still, Aliens is shit anyway so it doesn't really matter does it..........
The worst example I've seen is the fucking abomination of a Predator bluray, where everyone looks like they've been replaced with wax-models.

I read the thing Cameron said about Aliens, but I've gotta say the bluray picture looks grand, sharp with plenty of texture and healthy grain.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 07, 2018, 01:17:22 PM
I read the thing Cameron said about Aliens, but I've gotta say the bluray picture looks grand, sharp with plenty of texture and healthy grain.

I think it's only one version of the film they did it with on the very first blu ray release.  Pretty sure it's been...let's say "corrected" on subsequent releases.

I remember the Predator blu being bad.  I've just stuck with my DVD, which looks a whole lot better.  I don't think they've done Predator again yet, have they?

greenman

Theres been a version with a new cover recently, not sure whether its a different transfer, honestly though it was never something I felt needed more quality than the DVD anyway.