Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:47:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (robotic police officer film)

Started by St_Eddie, June 03, 2018, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

No joke, recently I was thinking something like this was gonna happen. A sequel that picks up straight after the first film, goes for the same tone and feel, and ignores everything that came after. I even guessed the title, RoboCop Returns, an everything. Do I win £5?

They will probably glue Weller's young uncanny valley mouth to another person in the suit. Ignoring the fact that it was Weller's physical movements that made it so good. No one has been able to match them

Cautiously optimistic, though. I don't think Bumcamp has done anything really good since District 9, and he's probably only doing this cos his very similar attempted retconning of Alien has seemingly been axed

We'll see, eh? RobertCop forever

Blumf

Has Blomkamp just become a placeholder name? Like 'Alan Smithee' for films the director rejects, you now have 'Neill Blomkamp' for 80s sci-fi reboots with vague production schedules.

Replies From View

Replies From View

QuoteJustin Rhodes, who is also attached to write the upcoming "Terminator" reboot and the DC film "Green Lantern Corps," will rewrite Neumeier and Miner's script, with the two original writers serving as producer and executive producer.

Prediction:  Robocop Returns will be canned when the next Terminator film goes into a guff hole.

Sebastian Cobb

I wouldn't want a terminator going up my guff hole!

Shit Good Nose

Not Blomkamp!  I don't think I can take any more Short Circuit 1 and 2 remakes.  Cos that's all he seems to do.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2018, 01:09:09 PM
I wouldn't want a terminator going up my guff hole!

They've ALL gone up your guff hole...etc.

Glebe

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 03:22:31 AMI've actually already seen Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD.  It was a while ago though, so I must have forgotten about the relevant section.

Oh and I have a soft spot for Richard Stanley's unofficial 2000AD film, Hardware.  It's a very cheesy but effective B-movie (and horribly but appropriately claustrophobic and sweat inducing)  I've still got my boxed VHS tape of it, from back when I was a teenager.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hardware-Blu-ray/205303/#Review

QuoteHardware is based on an original story entitled "Shock!" by Steve MacManus and Kevin O'Neill that appeared in Fleetway Comics' "2000AD".

Er, not 'officially' based...

Phil_A

Quote from: Glebe on July 14, 2018, 07:45:23 PM
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hardware-Blu-ray/205303/#Review

Er, not 'officially' based...

Legally they have to say it is, due to the film's distributors losing the copyright infringement case to Fleetway.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2018, 07:46:43 PM
Have you seen Futurekick though eddie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3q9oKYsLGY

I haven't but I shall now.  Thank you.

Quote from: Phil_A on July 14, 2018, 08:34:56 PM
Legally they have to say it is, due to the film's distributors losing the copyright infringement case to Fleetway.

This is my understanding too.

Large Noise

Can anyone help me out here. I'm thinking of buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robocop-Robert-Burke/dp/B00HDCK350/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1532908499&sr=1-2&keywords=robocop version of the film.

It looks like the original (albeit remastered), but some of the customer reviews seem to be suggesting that it's a different film altogether, people are calling it a 'reboot' and comparing it to the original. Is this thee Robocop?

Bazooka

Quote from: Large Noise on July 30, 2018, 01:07:51 AM
Can anyone help me out here. I'm thinking of buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robocop-Robert-Burke/dp/B00HDCK350/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1532908499&sr=1-2&keywords=robocop version of the film.

It looks like the original (albeit remastered), but some of the customer reviews seem to be suggesting that it's a different film altogether, people are calling it a 'reboot' and comparing it to the original. Is this thee Robocop?

I don't know what the fuck in hell that is? It says Peter Weller is a supporting actor, and it has Rip Torn in it, he was in RoboCop 3. No idea mate, its not even the 2014 piece of shit remake.

Edit: some reviews are saying great reboot and others praising it as if its the 87 film, either everyone reviewing is smashed or its an Amazon review stuck in some messed up worm hole.

Large Noise

Cheers.

Yeah, it seems to be something else but I'm kind of surprised at Amazon (maybe I shouldn't be) practically scamming people by calling it Robocop (1987) and using the original poster if it's a totally different film.

Edit: hold on a second, I just had a look at the 2014 remake and it seems to have the exact same reviews as this. So maybe it is some kind of glitch and those reviews are appearing on the wrong product. That doesn't explain your point about the credits being all wrong though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Large Noise on July 30, 2018, 01:21:29 AM
Cheers.

Yeah, it seems to be something else but I'm kind of surprised at Amazon (maybe I shouldn't be) practically scamming people by calling it Robocop (1987) and using the original poster if it's a totally different film.

Edit: hold on a second, I just had a look at the 2014 remake and it seems to have the exact same reviews as this. So maybe it is some kind of glitch and those reviews are appearing on the wrong product. That doesn't explain your point about the credits being all wrong though.

It appears to be a mishmash of reviews from the remake and the 3 disc set of Robocop, Robocop 2 and Robocop 3.  If it also included reviews for the TV series, then it would have all its robotic police officer adventure bases covered.

QDRPHNC

First saw this when I was 11, it was the first proper, adult, violent movie I ever saw. That bit when we're introduced to ED209 and he lurches forward and starts talking shat me up hard.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 30, 2018, 05:12:43 PM
First saw this when I was 11, it was the first proper, adult, violent movie I ever saw. That bit when we're introduced to ED209 and he lurches forward and starts talking shat me up hard.

*growl* "You now have 10 seconds to clean up the shit from your pants."

Operty1

Watching the remastered directors cut recently, i never get the feeling that Robocop comes out the other end as the complete victor.

What happens to Murphy from the beginning, being literally blown to bits while everyone laughs at his pain, losing his body, his life and family, then almost being blown to bits again, i just felt sorry for him. It just doesn't feel like the bad guys bar 'Emil' ever get what they really deserve. That does sound strange, because they all do die, but the amount of suffering poured onto Murphy throughout the film just never seems balanced out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 05:32:20 PM
Watching the remastered directors cut recently, i never get the feeling that Robocop comes out the other end as the complete victor.

What happens to Murphy from the beginning, being literally blown to bits while everyone laughs at his pain, losing his body, his life and family, then almost being blown to bits again, i just felt sorry for him. It just doesn't feel like the bad guys bar 'Emil' ever get what they really deserve. That does sound strange, because they all do die, but the amount of suffering poured onto Murphy throughout the film just never seems balanced out.

Yeah, what can you do?  It wouldn't be right to change the course of events in a docu-drama.

colacentral

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 05:32:20 PM

They all realise that it's the guy they tortured though, and thus it's karma coming to get them. Not sure what else you want - Robocop ripping their arms out? He does kick the shit out of the main one and then kills him in a horrifically violent way.

I do sometimes find it more satisfying when the villain survives to see his plot foiled though.

PlanktonSideburns

I think that's one of the things I love about robocop, the way that he is permanently ruined by the violence done on him and that any sense of justice or even revenge shrivels in the face of the horror of the universe

So many revenge stories feel like fairy tales, where as the robotic police officers struggle feels much more like a real life story

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 30, 2018, 05:30:09 PM

If I saw one of those in real life I would be instantly thinking of where I could put my cock.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on July 31, 2018, 12:36:57 AM
If I saw one of those in real life I would be instantly thinking of where I could put my cock.

The original designer for ED-209 felt much the same way, which is why he was fired shortly after the unveiling.

*purrs* "Please drop your trousers, you have 20 seconds to comply."

Replies From View

Quote from: Large Noise on July 30, 2018, 01:21:29 AM
So maybe it is some kind of glitch and those reviews are appearing on the wrong product. That doesn't explain your point about the credits being all wrong though.

You call this a glitch!?

New Jack

Robotic Officercop 2014 made more than its money back in China

Thanks China

St_Eddie

Quote from: New Jack on August 02, 2018, 04:13:43 PM
Robotic Officercop 2014 made more than its money back in China

Thanks China

It had a budget of $100,000,000 and made $242,700,000.  The general wisdom for a movie of that budget and scope, is that it needs to make three times its budget, just to break even.  Glory be.

St_Eddie

In regards to the new Robocop sequel, which Neill Blomkamp is developing...

This is hardly a confirmation, of course but it does imply that Peter Weller would be Neill Blomkamp's first choice (well, he was hardly likely to nominate Robert Burke, I suppose but I could well imagine him suggesting a South African Robocop, via Sharlto Copley).  That's not to say that Weller (at the age of 71) would be up for returning to the role, or more to the point, getting back into that uncomfortable suit though.

Still, there's a small part of me that hardly ever makes itself known.  It's called optimism and that little, tiny, glimmer of hope within me is wondering whether Neill Blomkamp already knows something that we don't and if talks have already taken place between himself and Peter Weller.  Then the larger part of me known as pessimism takes over, crushes the ant of optimism and slaps me around the face, telling me to stop daydreaming and dilly dallying about things that will never happen.  Ho hum.

Sebastian Cobb

Amazon are basically going to turn into OCP aren't they?

SteveDave

I've heard Peter Weller is going to play RobotCop again but it's when he's retired and he's now RobotLandlord.

"Move out, creep"

It writes itself.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: SteveDave on August 17, 2018, 02:32:23 PM
I've heard Peter Weller is going to play RobotCop again but it's when he's retired and he's now RobotLandlord.

He would be the the only cop in film to have successfully retired.