Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (robotic police officer film)

Started by St_Eddie, June 03, 2018, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 17, 2018, 02:45:45 PM
He would be the the only cop in film to have successfully retired.

And the worst landlord as he'll live forever.

mothman

I like to think of retired Robocop working as a parking attendant like Mike Ehrmentraut sitting there in that booth in Better Call Saul. Which means I now want Jonathan Banks to play retired Robocop.

Chollis

I've never seen it. I was too young when it came out (pre-conception) but some time has passed now and I'm older. Should I watch it? I always thought it looked a bit like Judge Dredd, and would imagine who would win in a fight. I've never seen Judge Dredd either.

momatt

AsparagusTrevor

And watch Dredd (Judge Dredd film) also, but don't watch Judge Dredd (barely Judge Dredd film).

momatt

Watch both films at once and pretend they're fighting each other.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Chollis on August 23, 2018, 04:09:14 PM
I've never seen it. I was too young when it came out (pre-conception) but some time has passed now and I'm older. Should I watch it? I always thought it looked a bit like Judge Dredd, and would imagine who would win in a fight. I've never seen Judge Dredd either.

It's one of the best movies ever made.  Of course you should watch it.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 24, 2018, 04:14:15 PM
It's one of the best movies ever made.  Of course you should watch it.

And it's the best robotic police officer movie.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Watch Robocop! You have twenty seconds* to comply!

*or a more reasonable length of time.

Custard

I don't think 20 seconds would be even enough to get the DVD in the DVD player! Be fair guys!

Replies From View

Penis caught in bathroom hinge!  Delayed en route to DVD collection!

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 23, 2018, 04:15:29 PM
And watch Dredd (Judge Dredd film) also, but don't watch Judge Dredd (barely Judge Dredd film).
While I know that the Stallone film got plenty wrong, I must confess I have some affection for it. I'd probably have to read about 50 more progs to even qualify as a Judge Dredd novice but, it feels like the earlier film did a better job of capturing the more fantastical and comical side of Mega City One. I certainly can't imagine the Mean Machine Angel turning up in the more Nolanised world of the 2012 version.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 24, 2018, 08:51:50 PM
While I know that the Stallone film got plenty wrong, I must confess I have some affection for it. I'd probably have to read about 50 more progs to even qualify as a Judge Dredd novice but, it feels like the earlier film did a better job of capturing the more fantastical and comical side of Mega City One. I certainly can't imagine the Mean Machine Angel turning up in the more Nolanised world of the 2012 version.

This is true.  For all the faults of the Stallone movie, the depiction of Mega City One was not one of them.

I guess dark and gritty was still in fashion when Dredd was in production. Studios weren't yet chasing that sweet sweet Avengers money. Not that everything should adopt Marvel's signature tone, but somewhere between the first two Dredd films would probably be good.

buzby

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 24, 2018, 09:53:22 PM
I guess dark and gritty was still in fashion when Dredd was in production. Studios weren't yet chasing that sweet sweet Avengers money. Not that everything should adopt Marvel's signature tone, but somewhere between the first two Dredd films would probably be good.

I think it was more to do with the budget than anything else. Stallone's film cost $70m in 1995, which was quite a lot of money back then (more than Apollo 13 cost). Dredd cost $35m in 2012, and Garland has said that budget restrictions was one of the reasons why they didn't explore more of the city. It's not like the strip itself always had comic relief in it either - plenty of the stories over the years I read it were dark and gritty and not exactly a barrel of laughs

greenman

Quote from: buzby on August 24, 2018, 10:10:01 PM
I think it was more to do with the budget than anything else. Stallone's film cost $70m in 1995, which was quite a lot of money back then (more than Apollo 13 cost). Dredd cost $35m in 2012, and Garland has said that budget restrictions was one of the reasons why they didn't explore more of the city. It's not like the strip itself always had comic relief in it either - plenty of the stories over the years I read it were dark and gritty and not exactly a barrel of laughs

35 million isn't exactly peanuts either though, especially with modern CGI and the lack of a really big stars wages to pay.

I was never a massive reader of it back in the day but I'd agree that the Sly film ends up with a more interesting setting whilst the modern one the better central character.

Mister Six

It's not just stars. Crew, sets, location shooting and SFX chew up cash like nobody's business. 35 mil for a pretty FX-heavy flick like Dredd isn't much at all. Certainly not enough to do Mega City One justice (no pun intended).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on August 25, 2018, 06:46:03 AM
It's not just stars. Crew, sets, location shooting and SFX chew up cash like nobody's business. 35 mil for a pretty FX-heavy flick like Dredd isn't much at all. Certainly not enough to do Mega City One justice (no pun intended).

Yep. 35 million is relatively low budget.

kaprisky

This forum favourite was on ITV4 last night and is on again tomorrow (Sunday). 9pm start too. It appeared to have all the swearing and violence intact, which may disappoint some.

Blumf

Heh, saw it last night too. Had just finished an episode of Twin Peaks, and then it was a load of the same actors.

Osmium

Total Recall is on right after it if you are up for a Verhoeven double bill. My cock will be red raw.

Large Noise

Saw it last night! My love to kaprisky for mentioning that it was on.

Quote from: ErnestTakadichi on August 02, 2018, 10:41:25 AM
You call this a glitch!?

Had a little smile to myself during the film when I realised what this comment was about.

Of the Veerhoeven joints I've seen I thought this was probably the best. Starship Troopers is very good, but maybe a bit on the long side for what it is. With Total Recall, I'd read the short story first and kinda wanted the film to have the same tone, be a bit more Blade Runner-ish. RoboCop is very tight. Sweeping social satire with a relatively small number of characters, and short, which is what you want from a film that's not taking itself seriously.

It's a bit more subtle than Starship Toopers in terms of the political message. There really isn't an alternative to fascism in the film; a RoboCop is only as good as the system he's working for, and that system is still in place at the end, albeit with slightly less malevolent people at the top.

I'm also intrigued by the urban decay aesthetic from around that time. RoboCop, The Warriors, Escape from New York, even the likes of Michael Jackson music videos. They all seem to take place in the same hellscape.

greenman

Quote from: Large Noise on October 22, 2018, 09:21:36 AM

Had a little smile to myself during the film when I realised what this comment was about.

Of the Veerhoeven joints I've seen I thought this was probably the best. Starship Troopers is very good, but maybe a bit on the long side for what it is. With Total Recall, I'd read the short story first and kinda wanted the film to have the same tone, be a bit more Blade Runner-ish. RoboCop is very tight. Sweeping social satire with a relatively small number of characters, and short, which is what you want from a film that's not taking itself seriously.

It's a bit more subtle than Starship Toopers in terms of the political message. There really isn't an alternative to fascism in the film; a RoboCop is only as good as the system he's working for, and that system is still in place at the end, albeit with slightly less malevolent people at the top.

I'm also intrigued by the urban decay aesthetic from around that time. RoboCop, The Warriors, Escape from New York, even the likes of Michael Jackson music videos. They all seem to take place in the same hellscape.

You could argue I spose partly the product of these films having a critical view of the current social order were as by the early 90's that started to decline and blockbusters were more your rah-rah nationalism of films like Independence Day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Large Noise on October 22, 2018, 09:21:36 AM

I think The Warriors was fairly accurate for The Bronx etc at the time. The city went bankrupt and the banks stopped lending. People would buy big project houses and burn them for the insurance or to get the land. Eventually trump did something with it. I guess the SciFi's s are coming from that period and drawing on it. Although things like Max Headroom: 30 minutes into the future did the same thing over here.

What I find interesting are the sequels in the early 90's after Reganism seemed far fetched at the time, but now seem prescient. You can see that in things like Escape from LA, Robocop 2 and Wag the Dog (underrated that yin).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 22, 2018, 03:17:12 PM
I think The Warriors was fairly accurate for The Bronx etc at the time.

I've always thought it felt a bit...silly (coming from someone who thinks The Wanderers is a better film).

BUT

I recently saw a doc called Rubble Kings (not too shabby), which is all about the rise and fall of the second wave of the New York gangs, and yeah - it was pretty much like The Warriors.

How about them Robin Hoods, though...

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 23, 2018, 08:34:34 PM
The Wanderers is a better film
Set on the mean streets of Wolverhampton?

"Can yow dig eeeet?"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 23, 2018, 08:34:34 PM
I've always thought it felt a bit...silly (coming from someone who thinks The Wanderers is a better film).

BUT

I recently saw a doc called Rubble Kings (not too shabby), which is all about the rise and fall of the second wave of the New York gangs, and yeah - it was pretty much like The Warriors.

How about them Robin Hoods, though...

I've seen Rubble Kings, essential viewing alongside Wild Style and Style Wars.

Although personally I think The Warriors is a near perfect film.

Dex Sawash

Robocoop (robotic chicken containment film)