Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (robotic police officer film)

Started by St_Eddie, June 03, 2018, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Whoever was in it, the suit looked shite. The ab plate and codpiece were hanging off in one of the shots. The movements looked off compared to how Weller used to do it too.
It's quite funny that in the Digitalspy article proclaiming it's Weller in the suit, they used a picture of Robert Burke in Robocop 3 (which the gunarm was designed for):

Replies From View

monkfromhavana

"Men who wear designer jeans have no balls!"

I haven't seen that film in at least 25 years, but that line has forever stayed with me.

Replies From View

Quote from: goinggoinggone on February 27, 2019, 11:35:30 PM
"Men who wear designer jeans have no balls!"

I haven't seen that film in at least 25 years, but that line has forever stayed with me.

And it's funny because it's true.

I knew there was a reason I wore Asda George brand jeans...

then again, it's still a "brand" so I doubt they count...

Does just admiting that I wear Asda brand George jeans make me ballsy enough?

PlanktonSideburns

Making my wife watch robotic police officer adventure tonight. Hope she likes it!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If she doesn't, it's grounds for divorce.

Shit Good Nose

Arrow Video releasing a special edition blu ray in November - 4K scan, featuring both cuts and numerous new and pre-existing extras.

Still no sign of Robodoc, though :-(

H-O-W-L

Quote from: buzby on February 26, 2019, 09:04:04 AMThe movements looked off compared to how Weller used to do it too

I'm pretty sure this is because Peter Weller has training in traditional mime. It's why his movements are so smooth and robotic. I love them.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 03, 2018, 01:37:29 PM
Has anyone read Frank Miller's comic based on his original script for Robocop 2? He seems both the perfect and worst possible choice to write one of these.

I have and trust me when I say it is one of the most offensively shit (and shittily offensive) piles of silage I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. Lewis spends every five minutes getting her clothes ripped off and her skin heavily lacerated so she can be ~sexy~ and bloody in her underwear, to say the least. The art is also insulting. It has moderately decent reviews from ""fans"" who've read it because it's SO PULP AND VIOLENCE MAN, as if that's really what makes Robert the Cop any good.

buzby

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 01, 2019, 11:12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure this is because Peter Weller has training in traditional mime. It's why his movements are so smooth and robotic. I love them.
He worked with Moni Yakim (who had been principal performer in both Marcel Marceau and Etienne Decroux's mime companies) for four months prior to shooting to create Robocop's movements. However, the first time he tried it fully suited up it didn't work, looked terrible in the rushes and Verhoeven had to stop shooting.

Weller was worried he was going to get taken off the film and asked the producers could fly Yakim in to see what they could do. They did, and with Weller in the suit on-set, Yakim realied that with the bulk of the suit all they needed to so was slow down and exaggerate his movements to make it look more purposeful and give it some weight. He spent an hour working with Weller, they then shot 45 minutes of screen tests which were flown back to LA to be printed over the weekend. The tests were successful and they were able to start shooting again on the Monday.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: buzby on October 01, 2019, 01:02:56 PM
He worked with Moni Yakim (who had been principal performer in both Marcel Marceau and Etienne Decroux's mime companies) for four months prior to shooting to create Robocop's movements. However, the first time he tried it fully suited up it didn't work, looked terrible in the rushes and Verhoeven had to stop shooting.

Weller was worried he was going to get taken off the film and asked the producers could fly Yakim in to see what they could do. They did, and with Weller in the suit on-set, Yakim realied that with the bulk of the suit all they needed to so was slow down and exaggerate his movements to make it look more purposeful and give it some weight. He spent an hour working with Weller, they then shot 45 minutes of screen tests which were flown back to LA to be printed over the weekend. The tests were successful and they were able to start shooting again on the Monday.

Incredible.

momatt

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 01, 2019, 11:27:47 AM
I have and trust me when I say it is one of the most offensively shit (and shittily offensive) piles of silage I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. Lewis spends every five minutes getting her clothes ripped off and her skin heavily lacerated so she can be ~sexy~ and bloody in her underwear, to say the least. The art is also insulting. It has moderately decent reviews from ""fans"" who've read it because it's SO PULP AND VIOLENCE MAN, as if that's really what makes Robert the Cop any good.

Totally agree.  It's one of the worst things I've ever read.
Art is rubbish and the story barely makes sense.  Just horrible.

Replies From View

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 30, 2019, 03:06:24 PM
Arrow Video releasing a special edition blu ray in November - 4K scan, featuring both cuts and numerous new and pre-existing extras.

Still no sign of Robodoc, though :-(

Preorderd it as soon as it became available :) I've been looking for a decent Robocop set for a good while and this more than fits the bill...the only shame really is it's an old scan of the film that's been used for the restoration. It would have been nice if a new master had been struck with better encoding techniques...still with Arrow's steady hand I'm sure it'll look the absolute bollocks.

cant wait to get the poster framed and up too!

popcorn

Rewatched RoboCops 1 and 2. Here are some thoughts:

I like that RoboCop is very slow. Just stomps about everywhere. There should have been a scene where his colleagues jokingly but lovingly say "Say, here comes ol' SlowoCop!" That could have improved things.

I also like that they didn't give him a big transforming RoboMobile or anything. He just drives about in a normal police car. That's good and sort of pleasingly funny.

I maintain that RoboCop 2 is a worthy sequel and I don't understand why it's so derided. People talk about it like it's one of the lengedarily bad sequels, like it's RoboCop fucking 3, but it's pretty faithful to the original, even if it has little else to say about the characters, and full of its own ideas. Lots of great stop-motion animation, scary baddie, decent plot.

buzby

Quote from: popcorn on October 26, 2019, 05:14:53 PM
I also like that they didn't give him a big transforming RoboMobile or anything. He just drives about in a normal police car. That's good and sort of pleasingly funny.
They did build a car for him (called the TurboCar) with all kinds of gadgets in it, but when it first appeared on-set Verhoeven thought it looked ridiculous. The Ford Taurus had just gone on sale, so he decided to buy some of those to use as police cars instead.

I think it was built from a late 70s/early 80s Pontiac TransAm.

One interesting thing is that you never see a full shot of Weller getting into or out of the car - he always has the door in front of his legs. The legs on the suit made it impossible for him to get into or out of the Taurus, so they had to take them off for those shots.

popcorn

Quality knowledge as ever buzby.

Quote from: buzby on October 27, 2019, 12:54:04 AM
One interesting thing is that you never see a full shot of Weller getting into or out of the car - he always has the door in front of his legs. The legs on the suit made it impossible for him to get into or out of the Taurus, so they had to take them off for those shots.

I only noticed yesterday, for the first time, that RoboCop's back leg isn't bent in this poster. It's just a shiny bit of chair.

That's an exciting post by me isn't it?

Blumf

Oh hey, electrically adjustable seats. No wonder Old Detroit was bust.

magval

I've just bought and watched the above-mentioned Arrow set of this. I've not seen this film in fucking ages. Maybe over ten years. And I remember bits of it so completely vividly. Most of Clarence's and Emil's lines. They're excellent baddies, pair of nasty cunts the both of them.

BUT!

Nowhere in this film does Robocop say "stay out of trouble - and my face".

I'm shocked. Did he ever say this, is it from a parody of Robocop, or did I invent it? If I did, what have I cobbled it together from? I think of this line alllllll the time, and for it not to be in the film has put me in a funk.

alan nagsworth

"Come quietly or there will be... trouble" is my favourite line.

This film is a fuckin 10/10 and it bowls me over that I only saw it for the first time this very year (and Total Recall, and both films are delightfully grimly absurd). The mutant bloke exploding on the car is one of the best "FUCKING HELL" bits of any film I've ever seen, and the scene where Murphy is remembering his old life after he's taken his helmet off and he tells Lewis to leave him alone is oddly affecting and sad for a film so utterly batshit.

Replies From View

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 10:00:01 AM
I've just bought and watched the above-mentioned Arrow set of this. I've not seen this film in fucking ages. Maybe over ten years. And I remember bits of it so completely vividly. Most of Clarence's and Emil's lines. They're excellent baddies, pair of nasty cunts the both of them.

BUT!

I'm shocked. Did he ever say this, is it from a parody of Robocop, or did I invent it? If I did, what have I cobbled it together from? I think of this line alllllll the time, and for it not to be in the film has put me in a funk.

I know it's one of the few bits of his body that's still human, so I can understand why he'd be anxious about it, but I have no personal recollection of him ever kind of flinching and flapping his hands and shouting "woah woah stay away from the face guys".

Maybe it was in a deleted scene.

Phil_A

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 10:00:01 AM

BUT!

That's a line from Saxondale, mate.

https://youtu.be/tglVg9_G5nk?t=120

magval

Saved me untold torments, that has. Thanks!

Epic Bisto

Chalk me up as another Robert Cop fan, and yet another one who watched this at way too young an age.

Was listening to The Projection Booth episode of this on the way to work.  Sometimes the episodes build up wonderfully before being let down by a rambling interview with a monotonous and easily distracted gaffer or best boy, but this one was chock full of wonderful insights and interviews with everyone sounding really enthusiastic and still full of enthusiasm, especially Miguel Ferrer's Keith Moon story which was almost Chart Music-esque in terms of fascinating and funny tangents.

Goldentony

got the Arrow release yesterday and ive watched it through with the three commentaries like a massive nerd, but one thing I don't remember being explained is why all his stuff is burned when he returns to his house. I thought itd be his wife doing it out of grief. Is this talked about?

idunnosomename

Sorry if im repeating but the gross-out special effect sequence for Emil's death bursting due to toxic waste is very much in the "melt movie" tradition of the late 80s. I watched Street Trash over Christmas and I want to air my views on it being a wonderfully horrible film full of people melting due to very old alcohol, rape, violence, shoplifting, and a man chasing after his genitals being thrown about.

The other thing is that it's odd how RoboCop had a really poor attempt to turn it into a family franchise in the mid-90s. There was RoboCop 3, then the series in 1994, which I remember had a toy line, but it was very poor.
Fuck me. Orion produced a cartoon of RoboCop in '88, before even RoboCop 2 came out. Did that air on Sky in the UK? I have vague memories but I definitely never saw an episode.

Blumf

Quote from: Goldentony on January 16, 2020, 09:44:07 PM
got the Arrow release yesterday and ive watched it through with the three commentaries like a massive nerd, but one thing I don't remember being explained is why all his stuff is burned when he returns to his house. I thought itd be his wife doing it out of grief. Is this talked about?

Was it just vandals that had trashed the empty home? Suggesting the place had been vacant for a while.

That's what I always assumed.