Author Topic: Robocop (robotic police officer film)  (Read 26954 times)

Re: Robocop (robotic police officer film)
« Reply #360 on: August 22, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »
Willard E Pugh, as pretty much the same character as the sleazy record company boss he played in CB4.

I quite like Robotic Police Officer Film 2, though obviously it’s nowhere near as good as the original. Tom Noonan is good value in everything.

In some ways it's a mess, with little attempt at characterisation (except Cain), possibly too many scenes in warehouses and industrial units, plot threads that (as mentioned) evaporate. But equally, there are many great moments. Big guns. Malfunctioning robots. Robotcop in pieces. Some nice satirical barbs. And the stop motion animation is still great. And who doesn't want to escape their responsibilities by grabbing hold of a big transformer? (I also think a lot of people would buy the Magnavolt auto security device. No embarrassing alarm noise.)

EDIT: Ebert thought it was immoral for the sequel to have a child criminal, calling it "beneath contempt". I don't know if the Ned Flanders of film criticism thought the film would inspire children to become drug dealers, or adults to shoot kids in the face.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #361 on: August 22, 2020, 05:23:46 PM »
Don't they have stuff akin to the magnavolt in south africa or is that just bullshit hearsay?

« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »
It's much broader and far less subtle than the first one, but I still think it's a genuinely good film.

Is it? honestly I tend to think the reverse, its somewhat more subtle and intelligent than the original even if its lacking the same focused plot and drama. Still obviously not the most subtle piece of satire you'll see but enough for a character like Hobb to be viewed as mere exploitation/shock by US critics.

buzby

« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »
Don't they have stuff akin to the magnavolt in south africa or is that just bullshit hearsay?
They had the Blaster, an anti-hijack flamethrower

In the US they had the AutoTaser, and the Armormax armoured car company offers Electric Door Handles as one of it's options (along with other Bond gadgets like smoke and road spike dischargers).

Tags: