Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (robotic police officer film)

Started by St_Eddie, June 03, 2018, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Small Potatoes on August 22, 2020, 05:04:35 PM
Willard E Pugh, as pretty much the same character as the sleazy record company boss he played in CB4.

I quite like Robotic Police Officer Film 2, though obviously it's nowhere near as good as the original. Tom Noonan is good value in everything.

In some ways it's a mess, with little attempt at characterisation (except Cain), possibly too many scenes in warehouses and industrial units, plot threads that (as mentioned) evaporate. But equally, there are many great moments. Big guns. Malfunctioning robots. Robotcop in pieces. Some nice satirical barbs. And the stop motion animation is still great. And who doesn't want to escape their responsibilities by grabbing hold of a big transformer? (I also think a lot of people would buy the Magnavolt auto security device. No embarrassing alarm noise.)

EDIT: Ebert thought it was immoral for the sequel to have a child criminal, calling it "beneath contempt". I don't know if the Ned Flanders of film criticism thought the film would inspire children to become drug dealers, or adults to shoot kids in the face.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't they have stuff akin to the magnavolt in south africa or is that just bullshit hearsay?

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 15, 2020, 03:30:46 PM
It's much broader and far less subtle than the first one, but I still think it's a genuinely good film.

Is it? honestly I tend to think the reverse, its somewhat more subtle and intelligent than the original even if its lacking the same focused plot and drama. Still obviously not the most subtle piece of satire you'll see but enough for a character like Hobb to be viewed as mere exploitation/shock by US critics.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 22, 2020, 05:23:46 PM
Don't they have stuff akin to the magnavolt in south africa or is that just bullshit hearsay?
They had the Blaster, an anti-hijack flamethrower

In the US they had the AutoTaser, and the Armormax armoured car company offers Electric Door Handles as one of it's options (along with other Bond gadgets like smoke and road spike dischargers).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

sevendaughters

am going to see it, never seen the Director's Cut and in some way am scared, I sort of think the cinematic cut to be of such quality that I doubt adding to it is wise

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It does seem a bit weird to celebrate the 35th anniversary of its cinema release by not showing the cinema cut.

I expect I will find it a little distracting when the new bits crop up, but it's still Robocop. Also, The first several... dozen times I watched it was the hilariously bowdlerised version taped off ITV and I still loved the cinema cut when I finally watched it.

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone managed to watch the "Our Robocop Remake" fan-homage where individual scenes were all made by different groups?

https://vimeo.com/85903713

I keep meaning to but have only seen the infamous 'scene 27' where Robocop stops a woman getting attacked, the remake ends up with loads of would-be rapists getting their cocks blown off.

https://vimeo.com/86014703

badaids

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 01, 2022, 03:23:58 PMHas anyone managed to watch the "Our Robocop Remake" fan-homage where individual scenes were all made by different groups?

I keep meaning to but have only seen the infamous 'scene 27' where Robocop stops a woman getting attacked, the remake ends up with loads of would-be rapists getting their cocks blown off.

The whole thing is brilliant, but my favorite scene is the one early on in the police locker room with the shit CGI and all the characters naked and they keeping doing squats as they chunter away.

samadriel

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 01, 2022, 03:23:58 PMHas anyone managed to watch the "Our Robocop Remake" fan-homage where individual scenes were all made by different groups?

God,  I love the readout "Foremost Rapist Identified".

FUCKING DO IT! DO IT!!!

The ballet scene, for want of a better word, was the one I remembered fondly.

Robocop. Turns out it needs jazz hands.

Rizla

Top notch that. Waverly Films's understated contribution was lovely too -

Goldentony

the director's cut you're just getting more violence, Mr Kenny getting fucked to bits, Murphy getting fucked to bits, Clarence getting annihilated and fucked to bits. Its the better version. The ED209 thing is funnier with him being shot for those extra few ridiculous seconds so the SOMEBODY WANNA CALL A GOD DAMN PARAMEDIC lands better

Replies From View

I'm quite sure lots of films have had anniversaries marked with special editions being made.  ET, Star Wars, Alien spring immediately to mind.

Sonny_Jim

Pretty sure I've seen an interview with Verhoeven where he argues that the cuts made to the film by the BBFC actually made it more violent.  As mentioned the ED209 scene is meant to be ridiculous, by cutting too early it makes it more harrowing.

Keebleman

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 02, 2022, 08:45:12 AMPretty sure I've seen an interview with Verhoeven where he argues that the cuts made to the film by the BBFC actually made it more violent. 

Directors often say this, and it's always bollocks.  The ED209 scene is not meant to be harrowing, it's meant to be funny.  Verhoeven's sadism kills the humour.  The clip worked better in a much censored version when Barry Norman had it on his show.

Goldentony

im convinced the paramedic line and then the DISAPPOINTED/GLITCH bit between the old lads works better with Kenny being turned into dogshit by lad size bullets for longer, it's funnier

Goldentony

and then to add to that the elevator bit with fucking Bob going THATS LIFE IN THE BIG CITY to something so outrageous as a giant prototype crime robot mulching somebody at work

Sebastian Cobb

I agree with tony. The extended gun scene with ed209 is brilliantly tongue-in-cheek.

idunnosomename

Still think the chair squeak in the silence is the ultimate bit of bathos that underlines it as a joke, even if you cut the squib bursts when hes horizontal

Sebastian Cobb

Watched this now and I'm quite glad I did. By no means do all of the scenes land, but the ones that do make it a brilliant watch.

There's some nice little touches in there as well, like how when he has his dream he's dreaming back at Anne being played by a different actress from an earlier scene.

badaids

I need to do a rewatch of the MyRobocop film.

Are there any other films they received the same treatment - does anyone know?

Sebastian Cobb

I have no idea, I did feel while watching it (especially with the frequent actor changes) that it was essentially the closest real-life thing we have to The Gang does Lethal Weapon.

sevendaughters

Replies From View

Quote from: Keebleman on August 02, 2022, 08:56:29 AMDirectors often say this, and it's always bollocks.  The ED209 scene is not meant to be harrowing, it's meant to be funny.  Verhoeven's sadism kills the humour.  The clip worked better in a much censored version when Barry Norman had it on his show.

It's also funnier when whatshisface says ONCE, I EVEN CALLED HIM AIRHEAD

The film should never have been made the way it was - it should have been assembled from scraps of old episodes of Benny Hill, if anything.  Stupid director meddling with a perfectly good comedy concept.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: badaids on August 02, 2022, 01:42:40 PMI need to do a rewatch of the MyRobocop film.

Are there any other films they received the same treatment - does anyone know?

There's a similar one of Shrek, called Shrek Retold

badaids

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 02, 2022, 06:21:41 PMThere's a similar one of Shrek, called Shrek Retold

Thanks for this and for other recs. is the Shrek one any good? Can't find the first blood for free.

Mister Six

Quote from: badaids on August 02, 2022, 06:24:11 PMThanks for this and for other recs. is the Shrek one any good? Can't find the first blood for free.

There's also the shot-for-shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark that some kids did, and developed a bit of minor online buzz in the 2000s. I torrented it years ago - somewhere around 2009? - but never actually got around to watching it. It must have been unfinished, because this 2016 Rolling Stone article follows the kids - now adults - as they complete the film.

Replies From View

Also someone called Gus Van Sant did one of Psycho

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Keebleman on August 02, 2022, 08:56:29 AMDirectors often say this, and it's always bollocks.  The ED209 scene is not meant to be harrowing, it's meant to be funny.  Verhoeven's sadism kills the humour.  The clip worked better in a much censored version when Barry Norman had it on his show.

What if it isn't tho? What then