Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robocop (robotic police officer film)

Started by St_Eddie, June 03, 2018, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Quote from: Josef K on June 05, 2018, 10:16:58 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did anyone see Our RoboCop Remake?

It's a fan funded retelling of the original, with each scene made by a different team, encompassing live action, stop motion, animation etc.
The whole thing is worth a watch but even if you don't, I implore you to watch this one scene. It starts out more or less shot for shot the same as the original but then it...escalates
https://vimeo.com/86014703 (very NSFW)

It's one of the few things on my list of 'videos that make me cry with laughter every time'

Aye though maybe I wasn't explicit enough - WATCH IT IF YOU LIKE ROBOCOP!

Quote from: New Jack on June 03, 2018, 09:56:04 AM

The affectionate parody is quite funny if you've not seen it millions of times already

St_Eddie

I've had the Our RoboCop Remake downloaded for quite some time now but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 09:48:04 AM
Well, this thread is about the scientific documentary about making parts of a man into a robot.  So drink away and then get a robot liver when yours gives up the ghost. 

Part man.

Part machine.

All alcoholic.

ROBOCOHOLIC

Have some theoretical karma, you brilliant fucker.

thraxx

I'd forgotten this scene. Thanks for reminding me.  Everything about it is just perfect.  Where did they get such a good robocop suit and weller lookalike?

Quote from: Josef K on June 05, 2018, 10:16:58 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did anyone see Our RoboCop Remake?

It's a fan funded retelling of the original, with each scene made by a different team, encompassing live action, stop motion, animation etc.
The whole thing is worth a watch but even if you don't, I implore you to watch this one scene. It starts out more or less shot for shot the same as the original but then it...escalates
https://vimeo.com/86014703 (very NSFW)

It's one of the few things on my list of 'videos that make me cry with laughter every time'

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 09:16:46 AM
Indeed.  Anyone who's seen Robocop shouldn't have a hard time believing that it could be someone's favourite film.  It's a masterpiece of cinema, one which is as engaging within its subtext, as it is at a surface level.  They really don't make 'em like this anymore (because Hollywood no longer has the balls to produce this caliber of mainstream, big-budgeted, R-rated entertainment, with a significant bite, directed by an auteur who's left to his own devices; you need look no further than the remake for proof of this).

However, as you say, the title does the film no favours in convincing those who haven't watched it before, of just how great of a film it is.  Once you've seen the film, the title is perfect and it's next to impossible to think of a more suitable (not to mention, straight to the point) moniker for the film but it's a shame that it gives off the impression of being a daft slice of hokum and schlock to the uninitiated.

I think it suffers slightly from what Starship Troopers suffered from massively in that people think they are cleverer than the film. They think the OTT nature is unintentional and not satire. They think it is extolling the virtues of the things that it is actually taking the piss out of.

As for them not making that sort of film any more. I don't think they made that sort of film before then either. I think it is a realm of film that has solely been explored and annexed by Verhoeven.

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 09:16:46 AM
However, as you say, the title does the film no favours in convincing those who haven't watched it before, of just how great of a film it is.  Once you've seen the film, the title is perfect and it's next to impossible to think of a more suitable (not to mention, straight to the point) moniker for the film but it's a shame that it gives off the impression of being a daft slice of hokum and schlock to the uninitiated.

The title is perfect, not only is it, as you say, straight to the point, but it helps keep pompous film snobs away from it. It actively excludes the closed minded.

And what else could you call it? "Murphy's Law"?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 10:26:57 AM
Have some theoretical karma, you brilliant fucker.

I forgot to add "The future of alcoholism", but the moment has gone now.

Quote from: Blumf on June 05, 2018, 10:47:57 AM
The title is perfect, not only is it, as you say, straight to the point, but it helps keep pompous film snobs away from it. It actively excludes the closed minded.

This is moving slightly OT, but apposite to that - over the last 10 or so years I've noticed a bit of a shift in the film academic world where films like Robocop (and a lot of even less obvious choices) are being given a bit more credence, both in terms of the themes dealt with and their place in film history.  Particularly with genre films, where stuff like spaghetti westerns, martial arts, eurocrime and, especially, low budget horror from bygone years has had a massive re-evaluation.  The most obvious evidence, if any were needed, being distributors like Arrow, Shout Factory, Vinegar Syndrome and the like are giving the same treatment to these previously ignored corners of the industry as Criterion gives to an Andrei Tarkovsky film - 4K scans here, commentaries by high profile critics and academics there, all for stuff like The Video Dead and Anthropophagus (to use just two of many examples).

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on June 05, 2018, 10:44:35 AM
I think it suffers slightly from what Starship Troopers suffered from massively in that people think they are cleverer than the film. They think the OTT nature is unintentional and not satire. They think it is extolling the virtues of the things that it is actually taking the piss out of.

Agreed.  As you say, I don't see that so much in regards to Robocop but I see it a lot with Starship Troopers and it bothers me a great deal.  Sadly, it seems that many people need things spoon fed to them, in order to understand what a film is trying to say.

Quote from: phantom_power on June 05, 2018, 10:44:35 AMAs for them not making that sort of film any more. I don't think they made that sort of film before then either. I think it is a realm of film that has solely been explored and annexed by Verhoeven.

This is true enough.  However, the Hollywood of old allowed a film like Robocop to be made, without interference (or at the very least, the bare minimum of interference).  I just don't think that would ever happen these days.  Not from a major studio and with the relative budget adjusted for inflation, at any rate.  Everything these days, in terms of the blockbuster, is so corporately orientated.  It's safe.  It's focus tested.  It's designed to appeal to as many people as possible and to offend as few people as possible.  A production line of blandness.  There's no room for Robocop in the zeitgeist of current studio politics.

Quote from: Blumf on June 05, 2018, 10:47:57 AM

And what else could you call it? "Murphy's Law"?

No, no, no.  I agree.

momatt

Have we all forgotten about RoboKettle?  That was clearly the best one.

I think RoboCop works on both levels, a bit like Al Murray, Pub Landlord.  It can be taken at face value as a dumb action film, and also a clever satirical pastiche.

I never noticed the Jesus references at all, but that description makes it seem quite obvious now.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 04, 2018, 12:14:46 PM
straight to DVD films are total gak.
What are these?  Is it this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop:_Prime_Directives

Quote from: popcorn on June 04, 2018, 04:57:29 PM
The comic is a hideous, embarrassing wreck.
Glad it's not just me.  I need to give it another looks though, to remind myself why I hated it so much.
I assumed Miller didn't have much to do with it, but apparently he 'oversaw' the project.  Whatever that means.

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 10:26:57 AM
I've had the Our RoboCop Remake downloaded for quite some time now but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Get it sorted mate!

Sags a little in the middle, but it's such a joyously silly thing overall. Get some mates around and have a laugh.

Blumf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 10:59:51 AM
This is moving slightly OT, but apposite to that - over the last 10 or so years I've noticed a bit of a shift in the film academic world where films like Robocop (and a lot of even less obvious choices) are being given a bit more credence, both in terms of the themes dealt with and their place in film history.  Particularly with genre films, where stuff like spaghetti westerns, martial arts, eurocrime and, especially, low budget horror from bygone years has had a massive re-evaluation.

Probably Tarantino helped open all that up.

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 11:09:58 AM
No, no, no.  I agree.

No worries, was a rhetorical question really. But the more I think about it, what would an alternative title be?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blumf on June 05, 2018, 11:19:21 AM
Get it sorted mate!

Sags a little in the middle, but it's such a joyously silly thing overall. Get some mates around and have a laugh.

It's sweet that you think that I have any mates.

Or any mates who would care to watch Our Robocop Remake with me, at any rate.

Quote from: Blumf on June 05, 2018, 11:51:06 AM
No worries, was a rhetorical question really. But the more I think about it, what would an alternative title be?

See thread title.

New Jack

Custard

The first film is a masterpiece. All the excess (and sometimes brilliance) of 80's action film-making stuffed into 2 incredibly grim and entertaining hours

Still never seen the second. Might give it a spin tonight. The remake was passable, but really not worth bothering with

Anyone read this? https://www.comixology.co.uk/RoboCop-Dead-or-Alive-Vol-1/digital-comic/270373?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

QuoteWhat's to Love: If you're like us, the classic 1987 film holds a special place in your fan heart. This collection is the hard-bitten world of RoboCop we all grew up on! If you've ever wondered what happens to RoboCop and his partner, Anne Lewis, after the first film, wonder no more.What It Is: Months after the events of the original classic film, John Killian, a criminal from Old Detroit's mysterious past, returns to a city ablaze. As RoboCop, Anne Lewis, and the police department wage war on anarchic streets, tension between the people and "their protectors" is at an all-time high. When the mayor launches an initiative to remove the people's right to bear arms, Killian will lead the citizens in an uprising that tears down the very foundation of OCP. Collects issues #1-4."This may be one of the most seamless and successful continuations of a franchise I've ever seen. The geniuses behind this book have managed to recreate the exquisite experience of watching RoboCop for the first time. I sincerely hope it never ends." 5/5 - Bleeding Cool

Sounds alreet

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 11:53:59 AM
It's sweet that you think that I have any mates.

No, no, 'Mates' the condom brand, so you can hang them off your fingers for a Emil Antonowsky just be for he gets splattered cosplay

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blumf on June 05, 2018, 01:16:10 PM
No, no, 'Mates' the condom brand, so you can hang them off your fingers for a Emil Antonowsky just be for he gets splattered cosplay

Ah, I see.  In that case; shall do.  I might as well do something with my packet of condoms, seeming as they reached their expiry date, twelve years ago.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on June 05, 2018, 11:30:58 AM
Probably Tarantino helped open all that up.

That may be the case for his hardcore fans, but I don't think the recent serious academic appreciation has got anything to do with him.  Rather more that a lot of the critics and academics grew up at a time when these films were made and released in ever increasing numbers (Tarantino's contemporaries, I guess).

idunnosomename

Fun fact: Peter Weller has a PhD in art history from UCLA, on Renaissance architect Alberti.

He's also, apparently, a complete cunt

momatt

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 05, 2018, 01:51:57 PM
He's also, apparently, a complete cunt

Oooh, I'll need some evidence for that!

Please don't spoil Mr. Robot Police Person.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: momatt on June 05, 2018, 01:58:39 PM

Ditto - he's well known in the industry for being a nice fella, and in every commentary of his films I've listened to the writers, directors and co-stars had nothing but good things to say about him.  Robert Hays frequently admits he basically fell in love with Weller when they worked together on Fifty Fifty.

St_Eddie

Re: Weller, cunt at large.

If you can bear to watch pervy old sex pest, Jabba the Hutt (aka Mr. Harry Knowles), then this Peter Weller talk makes for an interesting and insightful watch.  I can see how his personality could potentially come across as abrasive and even possibly cuntish but honestly, he comes across more as passionate, artistic and a fella with little time for bullshitters, to me (shame that he couldn't smell the bullshit wafting from that sack of shit, Knowles, but hey, nobody's perfect).

momatt

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 02:06:07 PM
Robert Hays frequently admits he basically fell in love with Weller when they worked together on Fifty Fifty.

Probably because of those lips.
*swoon*

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
Re: Weller, cunt at large.

If you can bear to watch pervy old sex pest, Jabba the Hutt (aka Mr. Harry Knowles), then this Peter Weller talk makes for an interesting and insightful watch.  I can see how his personality could potentially come across as abrasive and even possibly cuntish but honestly, he comes across more as passionate, artistic and a fella with little time for bullshitters, to me (shame that he couldn't smell the bullshit wafting from that sack of shit, Knowles, but hey, nobody's perfect).

Yeah, passionate and artistic are perfect descriptions I would say.  He takes his work VERY seriously and puts a lot of effort into it, even if the film he's in is a low budget B (or even C) movie.  And, let's face it, he's been in an awful lot of those.  But I don't think that automatically makes someone a cunt.

In fact, going back to Fifty Fifty, it was a low budget quickie he accepted at the last minute because Stallone and Norris both dropped out, and was intended as an easy-going break after the intensity of working on Naked Lunch.  But he still volunteered to go through 6-odd weeks of high-end military training and familiarise himself with mercenaries and guerilla fighters.  And there's the stuff about him studying mime, and robotics at a scientific level in prep for Robot PCSO.

Quote from: momatt on June 05, 2018, 02:17:41 PM
Probably because of those lips.
*swoon*

I'm wet.

St_Eddie

Shit Good Nose

Benjaminos

Robocop was the first 18 certificate film I ever watched, and I'm pretty sure it changed the way my brain works in some fairly fundamental ways. It's far and away my favourite film, it's got everything you could possibly want in it.

Try explaining that to my missus though. She is utterly incapable of taking it at anything other than face value. The satire, the black comedy, the themes of what it means to be human - all lost on her, it's just a film about a robot who shoots people. I despise her.

New Jack

Quote from: Benjaminos on June 05, 2018, 03:34:55 PM

Try explaining that to my missus though. She is utterly incapable of taking it at anything other than face value. The satire, the black comedy, the themes of what it means to be human - all lost on her, it's just a film about a robot who shoots people. I despise her.

What does she think of the cuts to "I'd buy that for a dollar!" guy, and the adverts and news bulletins and the like?

idunnosomename

Quote from: momatt on June 05, 2018, 01:58:39 PM

Please don't spoil Mr. Robot Police Person.

I know someone who he sat on their PhD upgrade interview at UCLA and he was a cunt, apparently. He might be quite keen to prove himself as a serious academic and not just robot police man and comes off cunty.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 02:23:25 PMAnd there's the stuff about him studying mime, and robotics at a scientific level in prep for Robot PCSO.
And it shows, his robotic movements are brilliantly done. When you watch one of the pretenders* playing the role, like Robocop 3 or the TV show it's night and day.

*not Chrissie Hynde

Quote from: Benjaminos on June 05, 2018, 03:34:55 PMRobocop was the first 18 certificate film I ever watched, and I'm pretty sure it changed the way my brain works in some fairly fundamental ways.
Me too, my uncle (who is only 10 years older than me) would let me watch stuff like this and The Fly, The Terminator, Predator etc. I also used to like watching it on TV when they showed the ridiculous censored version. In fact, my uncle and I still like to accuse each other of being out of their "freaking mind" every so often.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 05, 2018, 08:34:58 PM
I know someone who he sat on their PhD upgrade interview at UCLA and he was a cunt, apparently. He might be quite keen to prove himself as a serious academic and not just robot police man and comes off cunty.

I don't think he needs to prove himself as an academic - his qualifications and work in the field speak for themselves.  Also, from what little I know of university upgrade interviews,  the interviewer always has to maintain an air of professional aloofness and purposely avoid being genial. 

I suspect that one case is not representative of him.  Unless anyone can offer up any more examples...?