Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:43:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 it is in Russia

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, June 03, 2018, 11:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Iceland will beat Argentina, you heard it here first. Argentina's qualifying record is nothing to write home about, plus it's their first game and an early start. The climate might favour Iceland too.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: colacentral on June 04, 2018, 08:00:19 PM
Iceland will beat Argentina, you heard it here first. Argentina's qualifying record is nothing to write home about, plus it's their first game and an early start. The climate might favour Iceland too.

Laughable. Average temperature in Moscow in June is about 22 degrees. Iceland were no mugs, but they certainly are mugs now. Argentina will batter them. You heard it here first.

sevendaughters

yeah Iceland got cracked by Norway the other day. doubtful they'll get a point against ARG. they should just be absolutely delighted to be there.

colacentral

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 04, 2018, 08:51:59 PM
Laughable. Average temperature in Moscow in June is about 22 degrees. Iceland were no mugs, but they certainly are mugs now. Argentina will batter them. You heard it here first.

We'll see. I have this page bookmarked.

bgmnts

To be fair fucking Iran almost got a 0-0 out of them in their first game last world cup, so who knows.

finnquark

Thing about Iceland is they've got 5 players playing in English football. Invaluable experience that, they're no mugs. It's four more than Croatia, and one more than Nigeria and Argentina. Worth an E/W bet.

colacentral

Quote from: finnquark on June 04, 2018, 09:10:21 PM
Thing about Iceland is they've got 5 players playing in English football. Invaluable experience that, they're no mugs. It's four more than Croatia, and one more than Nigeria and Argentina. Worth an E/W bet.

To be fair, I said they definitely would beat Argentina, but was just being a nob and really just meant I think it's a good candidate for an early upset. They're 12/1 at the moment, and I think that if they were to play each other 12 times in the same circumstances they'd win more than one of those. But also probably worth a lay of Argentina as a safer bet.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: colacentral on June 04, 2018, 09:06:03 PM
We'll see. I have this page bookmarked.

I too have this page bookmarked, but for different reasons

DrGreggles

So, just for fun:

Winner -
Top scorer -
Dark horse -
Surprise early exit -
England will... -
A thing that will happen -

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 04, 2018, 11:09:34 PM
So, just for fun:

Winner - Gazprom
Top scorer - Rooney's Knee
Dark horse - Noel Edmonds' Nightmare
Surprise early exit - Italy or Netherlands
England will... reimagine the summer of WAGS
A thing that will happen - Clive and Andy betrothed by Putin

asids

Germany to be knocked out in the last group game by a Park Joo-ho banger from 30 yards.

You heard it here first.

asids

So, just for fun:

Winner - Tunisia
Top scorer - Duje Ćaleta-Car
Dark horse - Katy Perry
Surprise early exit - Sporting professionalism
England will... - be knocked out in the round of 16 by Senegal, sack Southgate and replace him with Jordan Peterson
A thing that will happen - Neymar or Messi will score, giving 10000 children a Rustlers Flame Grilled Quarter Pounder each

finnquark

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 04, 2018, 11:40:23 AM
Absolutely gagging for whatever Chinese and Russian sponsors FIFA have managed to persuade to get on board boys. Who can forget YINGLI SOLAR and MARFRIG from 2014. Great days.

Wiki informs us that the following are 'FIFA World Cup 2018 sponsors':

• Anheuser-Busch InBev
  • Hisense
  • Vivo
  • McDonalds
  • Mengniu Dairy

Plus Asian 'Supporter' Yadea, and European 'Supporters' Russian Railways, Alfa-Bank, Alrosa and Rostelecom.

Alongside the usual suspects (VISA, yadda yadda)

xmxmxmxmxmx

So, just for fun:

Winner - Spain
Top scorer - Isco
Dark horse - Peru
Surprise early exit - Belguim
England will... - Won't embarrass themselves. Quarters.
A thing that will happen - Some sort of dodgy Russian match fixing, bribing, poisoning... Expect Egypt players to get the Tottenham shits and Uruguay players to be assaulted by thicko confused homophobic thugs.   

Look I like a laugh as much as the next man and it's all good larking about and posting "funny" answers but if you're not gonna take it seriously whats the point

Bunch of jokers

xmxmxmxmxmx

I think England will play out from the back.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: xmxmxmxmxmx on June 05, 2018, 12:49:17 AM
Look I like a laugh as much as the next man and it's all good larking about and posting "funny" answers but if you're not gonna take it seriously whats the point

Bunch of jokers

football man, through and through. common sense lad.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: finnquark on June 05, 2018, 12:22:13 AM
Wiki informs us that the following are 'FIFA World Cup 2018 sponsors':

• Mengniu Dairy

That name sounds a little sinister, but I'm doubtless wrong.

Quote from: Wikipediait also uses the slogan "中國牛 世界牛 蒙牛", which metaphorically means "Mengniu will be outstanding in Inner Mongolia, be outstanding in China and world"
Hooray!

Quote from:  WikipediaMengniu was among those named for having powdered milk samples which tested positive for melamine. The company recalled tainted powdered milks and apologised to the public [...] "This is not a situation of somebody innocently cheating just to try to make a little more money," said John Eldred, managing partner of law firm Keller and Heckman LLP in Shanghai. "They are doing it with an eye toward knowing they are cheating and knowing they are risking the health of the people who are using their products." [...] Mengniu's CFO attempted to reassure consumers by offering a no-quibble refund on all products, and by drinking liquid milk in front of reporters.
Oh.

FOOPBO!

BlodwynPig

The Sun: "Are Brave Boys humiliated by Russkis. A few ales too many and now they're forced to drink Mengniu milk for the rest of the tournament"

Annie Labuntur

I wouldn't drink it. The Mengniu banner looks a little culty to me...

In fairness to them, I am a racist.

Squink

We're getting dangerously close to a sense of optimism around England. Don't do it lads. There's a 1-0 victory for Panama lurking at the end of that street, and a horse faced Southgate grimace darkening news stands across the land. Turn away before it's too late.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Winner - England
Top scorer - Vardy
Dark horse - Denmark
Surprise early exit - France
England will... - Sir Gareth Southgate Badger
A thing that will happen - Ronaldo announces international retirement after stroppy flounce

Beagle 2

Winner - Germany
Top Scorer - Germany
Dark Horse - Germany
Surprise Early Exit - Germany 2
England Will - DAS BOOT
A thing that will happen - Southgate sweat patch nightmare

sevendaughters

Winner - FRANCE
Top scorer - Griezmann
Dark horse - Denmark
Surprise early exit - Portugal
England will... - be knocked out in the QF
A thing that will happen - England fan stabbed to death by far-right Russian ultras hepped up on Krokodil and Bas Rutten tapes

George Oscar Bluth II

QuoteThe name Mengniu literally means 'Mongolian cow'

Well that's nice isn't it.

Winner - Germany
Top Scorer - Griezmann
Dark Horse - Someone will go far playing tedious but effective football with a limited squad, probably Switzerland
Surprise Early Exit - Argentina
England Will - be outclassed in the quarter finals
A thing that will happen - Blatter will show up won't he. He's gonna say mad things.

buttgammon

Winner - Germany
Top scorer - Thomas Muller
Dark horse - Iceland to get to the quarter-finals
Surprise early exit - Portugal were underwhelming winners of the Euros, and I think they could go out in the group stage
England will... - lose in the quarter-finals
A thing that will happen - a match postponed due to an electrical storm

imitationleather

I'm amazed, of all the tournaments in my lifetime, that people are actually still getting optimistic about England's chances at this one. Will these cunts never learn? Do they only watch football every two years or something? I've seen comments along the lines of "I reckon Southgate could do a job." I'm sure he can, but manager of the England men's national team is not that job.

We've had the FA openly mocking, via Twitter, the captain of the national team for that goal that definitely was his. An FA in other countries is not going to do this shit, especially not to the captain. Playing for England must be awful.

This is why, for me Clive, it's another group stage exit with a "Are they all on ketamine or something?"-type performance somewhere among the three matches, like the Iceland game at Euro 2016.

Belgium to be the biggest disappointment of the tournament. Unfortunately.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on June 05, 2018, 12:32:03 PM
Belgium to be the biggest disappointment of the tournament. Unfortunately.

I forgot to mention them because I just take it for granted to be honest. Having seen Wales play them a couple of times over the last few years, there's something weirdly disjointed about them for all their talent.

sevendaughters

not optimistic about England as such but I do expect them to have enough to get through the group and a relatively easy last 16 tie.

Captain Z

Winner - Portugal
Top scorer - Griezmann
Dark horse - Colombia
Surprise early exit - Brazil
England will... - Draw, Win, Lose, Lose in extra time
A thing that will happen - Player has to go off after getting bottled whilst celebrating at the corner flag

sevendaughters

Quote from: buttgammon on June 05, 2018, 12:38:58 PM
I forgot to mention them because I just take it for granted to be honest. Having seen Wales play them a couple of times over the last few years, there's something weirdly disjointed about them for all their talent.

classic low countries admixture of racism, regionality, ego, high expectations, and the wrong manager. that said i also think - like us - they have a couple of individuals who can inspire in spite of everything.