Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

spiritual sequels/double bills [split topic]

Started by spamwangler, June 03, 2018, 04:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Thirteen Days > Executive Action > JFK > Bobby

Sebastian Cobb

Jurassic Park is basically Westworld but with dinosaurs instead of robots.

Steven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2018, 06:30:27 PM

Quote from: Steven on October 10, 2016, 12:21:24 PM
Yes the British guy is clearly modelled on Andy Nyman's character in Dead Set, i.e. the same archetype as the stupid dinosaur shouty trainer in Jurassic World who will be one of the first to die when the robots all go proper barmy and kill everyone.

Ironic really as both of these are from Michael Crichton books about people going to an amusement park where the attractions all go proper barmy and kill everyone, you should eagerly await my novel in which the concept is based on people going to a Michael Crichton themepark and all the Michael Crichtons go proper barmy and kill everyone.

Shaky

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2018, 06:30:27 PM

Michael Crichton did like to take one idea and run with it.

As an aside, I thought it was a bit odd recently when Graham Norton had both Jurassic World and Westworld cast members on  his show and there wasn't one mention of the shared lineage. Thandie Newton even explained what Westworld was about.

colacentral

Our Graham did actually mention it at the start, you must have missed it.

St_Eddie

Yep

"Now this is odd, tonight's show has really been brought to us by the mind of Michael Crichton because two of his novels have inspired the things we're talking about."

Shaky

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 12:32:53 AM
Yep

"Now this is odd, tonight's show has really been brought to us by the mind of Michael Crichton because two of his novels have inspired the things we're talking about."

Ah, really? I must have been, er, masturbating during that bit.

Steven

Quote from: Shaky on June 05, 2018, 03:11:50 AM
Ah, really? I must have been, er, masturbating during that bit.

Do you masturbate with both your fingers in your ears? That must be......  novel.

Shaky

Quote from: Steven on June 05, 2018, 03:14:03 AM
Do you masturbate with both your fingers in your ears? That must be......  novel.

My ecstatic screams drowned out the beginning of the program. And not for the first time, I may add!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

People forget that the brain is the biggest erogenous zone.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 05, 2018, 10:49:40 AM
People forget that the brain is the biggest erogenous zone.

No, I'm pretty sure that's the little toe of the left foot.

Steven

Quote from: Shaky on June 05, 2018, 08:15:05 AM
My ecstatic screams drowned out the beginning of the program. And not for the first time, I may add!

So do mine, usually: "Fuck no, it's Graham Norton! Turn it off! Turn it off!"

Shit Good Nose

The Exorcist > The Ninth Configuration (and fitting because it has very little to do with the first film) > Exorcist 3

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 01:47:05 PM
The Exorcist > The Ninth Configuration (and fitting because it has very little to do with the first film) > Exorcist 3

Oooohhhh, I've got The Ninth Configuration lined up on my 'to watch' list, preciously because of the tenuous connection to The Exorcist.  Is it any good?

Shit Good Nose

Yes.

But note that it's nothing like The Exorcist.  It also has a fair amount of (intentional) comedy, what with Blatty being a comedy writer first and foremost.  Exorcist 3 also has a lot of humourous verbal sparring in it.

zomgmouse

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 02:12:40 PM
Yes.

But note that it's nothing like The Exorcist.  It also has a fair amount of (intentional) comedy, what with Blatty being a comedy writer first and foremost.  Exorcist 3 also has a lot of humourous verbal sparring in it.

Thanks.  I had heard that it was somewhat of a comedy but would you say that it could conceivably take place within The Exorcist universe (i.e. it's not like trying to make Repossessed fit into The Exorcist universe, in terms of a tonal shift)?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 02:56:22 PM
Thanks.  I had heard that it was somewhat of a comedy but would you say that it could conceivably take place within The Exorcist universe (i.e. it's not like trying to make Repossessed fit into The Exorcist universe, in terms of a tonal shift)?

Well, there ARE a couple of moments which are out and out slapstick.  Most of the comedy is higher-brow than that, though, and most of the film is about weighty theological stuff, with a direct link to The Exorcist being the character of Captain Cutshaw - a main character in Configuration, which is set after his intended flight to the moon mentioned briefly in The Exorcist (when Regan says to him "you're going to die up there").

studpuppet

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: studpuppet on June 05, 2018, 03:21:53 PM
I'm sure I'm missing a couple (not Bridge Over The River Kwai, though - that doesn't really have a battle).

Battle of Neretva (you could also throw in Sutjeska by association)
Most

mothman

VelourSpirit

Her --> Blade Runner 2049
2049 is like Her but the man's a robot too this time and he doesn't mind the AI using a surrogate human to have sex with him

Famous Mortimer

Zombie Flesh Eaters

&

Contamination

aka "bad things drift into New York harbour on abandoned ships", plus they were done a year apart.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 07, 2018, 10:45:00 AM
Zombie Flesh Eaters

&

Contamination

aka "bad things drift into New York harbour on abandoned ships", plus they were done a year apart.

Strange choices, as they're both desperately trying to be spiritual sequels to other films - Dawn Of The Dead, and Alien respectively.

itsfredtitmus

blackstuff (especially yosser's story) > combat shock

Might be joking; might not.
Who knows or cares?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Paaaaul on June 07, 2018, 01:28:01 PM
Strange choices, as they're both desperately trying to be spiritual sequels to other films - Dawn Of The Dead, and Alien respectively.
They're not all that similar, true, my point was they have almost identical scenes of the bad stuff (zombies and space-eggs) drifting into view of New York on abandoned ships. Plus, "Zombie Flesh Eaters" is great, almost as good as Dawn Of The Dead for me.

Custard

I'd like to think Altered States exists in the same universe as Flatliners

Shit Good Nose

Except that one of those is good and the other isn't...

philm

Eraserhead - testuo the iron man - elephant man (as the prequel)