Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Suspiria (2018)

Started by Swoz_MK, June 04, 2018, 03:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoz_MK

Trailer - https://youtu.be/3uGIEY7tdg8

Directed by the fella that did Call Me by Your Name, music by Thom Yorke, stars Tilda Swinton Chloe Moretz and all them lot.

Looks nice.

Funcrusher

The most pointless remake ever.

Guadagnino is a hack. A magazine photographer pretending to be an auteur

Blinder Data

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 04, 2018, 03:51:47 PM

Why do you say that? I've only seen Call Me By Your Name but I loved it and it didn't strike me as the work of a hack at all.

It's all empty, woozy magazine aesthetics. Shallow psychology, a tourist excursion for the wealthy. The art film as middlebrow entertainment. Bit of sex dappled with sunlight. No bite, not even any teeth shown. Just an irrepressible air of post-coital laziness disguised as Euro sophistication.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 04, 2018, 03:51:47 PM

I've only seen 'I Am Love', which was a load of preposterous twaddle from beginning to end, which is why I haven't seen any others. Inexplicably raved about, and a ton of hype about how Guadagnino and Swinton were a dream ticket, when Guadagnino had zero track record as far as I could tell.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 04, 2018, 04:02:28 PM
It's all empty, woozy magazine aesthetics. Shallow psychology, a tourist excursion for the wealthy. The art film as middlebrow entertainment. Bit of sex dappled with sunlight. No bite, not even any teeth shown. Just an irrepressible air of post-coital laziness disguised as Euro sophistication.
Du Look

thugler

Liked call me by your name but this is pointless, as are most remakes. Looks a bit of a pastiche also.

phantom_power

It seems to get the creepy 70s Italian horror film vibe right but I am not sure there is much point in it. I suppose it depends on if it can maintain that creepiness and be scary and thrilling like the original.

Wet Blanket

Seems a strange choice to remake a Seventies giallo schlocker painstakingly in the style of a Seventies giallo schlocker. Puts me in mind of the shot-for-shot remake of Psycho.

To me the best 'modern' giallo is Amer. Nicholas Winding Refn's Neon Demon was horseshit but had some terrifically lurid visuals in the giallo style too.

Noodle Lizard

It's one of those weird things where Suspiria is so defined by its unusual visuals and sound and overall style that it seems ridiculous to try and remake it any other way.  On the other hand, remaking it in that style seems like an inconceivable waste of time.  That trailer makes it seem like they're doing both, so it could go either way.

Call Me By Your Name was staggeringly overrated, I thought.  Like that interminable lunch scene in Before Midnight, stretched out for hours.

Glebe

Funcrusher

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 04, 2018, 07:49:50 PM
Seems a strange choice to remake a Seventies giallo schlocker painstakingly in the style of a Seventies giallo schlocker. Puts me in mind of the shot-for-shot remake of Psycho.

To me the best 'modern' giallo is Amer. Nicholas Winding Refn's Neon Demon was horseshit but had some terrifically lurid visuals in the giallo style too.

The fact that 'Amer' exists makes this doubly pointless, although technically 'Suspiria' probably wouldn't be classed as a giallo  I'll get round to watching 'The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears' rather than bothering with this pointless remake.

Wet Blanket

Yes I suppose strictly it's not a giallo, but it is very giallo-y nevertheless.

Strange Colour... is very hard work indeed. Looking forward to Let the Corpses Tan however.

Custard

As much as I fancy that Chloe Moretz, how many rubs remakes has she been in?

I'd like to do a remake of Blue Lagoon with her.

Cheers

Big Mclargehuge

Where the bloody hell has all the colour gone O.o
And the soundtrack sounds about as appealing as a guff in a tin.
I wasnt expecting much for this one, but it's somehow managed to even surpass my expectation on just how shit it could possibly be. jeeze...

Kane Jones

No Goblin, no Suspiria.

Z

Shot by apiachatong weersathul  (how close was that spelling?) cinematographer, isn't it? Kinda interested in that.

Wasn't too keen on call me by your name but I did enjoy the whole "shot entirely with one lens" restriction (and the sufjan songs, obviously)

Neville Chamberlain

Looks like quite a good film, if you ignore the sheer pointlessness of remaking Suspiria in the first place.

By the way, that green pissoir at 0:52 is about 3 minutes' walk from where I'm sitting right now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 05, 2018, 01:12:42 PM
No Goblin, no Suspiria.

Precisely. Not a fan of Yorke at all, but this score was not so off-putting, although I agree that its a pointless exercise. I rate Profundo Rosso over Suspiria. I would however like to see a full film version of that giallo that they're making in Berberian Film Studio (The Equestrian Vortex?), the soundtrack was great (to the giallo - it was released as a 7" by Andrew Liles).

Obel

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 04, 2018, 04:02:28 PM

Is your post a joke? Seriously can't tell.

Trailer is surprisingly good. Actually will give it the time of day, hopefully the trailer is aiming to capture the vibe of the film rather than being weird to suck fans of the original in.

Quote from: Obel on June 05, 2018, 05:10:28 PM
Is your post a joke? Seriously can't tell.

If you think it's a joke you clearly haven't sat through 'A Bigger Splash'

spamwangler

never seen either film, the original films trailer looks colourful, mad sexy -

new one looks dull, ponderous, shite

biggytitbo

They better not try and remake Phenomena, which I believe to be Argento's best film and utterly mad in every regard.

I never really liked Suspiria that much, apart from the incredible opening sequence of course.

Paaaaul

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 05, 2018, 06:12:54 PM
They better not try and remake Phenomena, which I believe to be Argento's best film and utterly mad in every regard.

I never really liked Suspiria that much, apart from the incredible opening sequence of course.
I re-watched Phenomena last night, and I'm now watching the making-of film.
I like it, but it really does feel like a remake of Suspiria itself. Watching a load of Argento in a short time reveals just how little variation there is in his stories.

phantom_power

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 05, 2018, 02:18:55 PM
Looks like quite a good film, if you ignore the sheer pointlessness of remaking Suspiria in the first place.

Thinking about it, is it that pointless? The plot is nothing to shout about so using the name is really just promising a style and atmosphere, and whether the new film delivers that will determine how pointless the remake is.

It's promising a style and atmosphere that's already been done, so even if the film is good (and it may well be) it'll still be artistically bankrupt. The only good remakes are the ones that change everything, and offer something essentially new. A decent simulacrum of a previously worked-through style is pointless, even if enjoyable

phantom_power

how can it be pointless if it is enjoyable? Surely enjoyment is a pretty good point for a work of entertainment

i'm talkin' 'bout artistry so maybe we're at cross purposes

thenoise

Suspiria is one of Argento's better efforts.  In a genre so rife with interesting ideas let down by terrible execution, why remake this one?