Author Topic: Suspiria (2018)  (Read 1144 times)

Re: Suspiria (2018)
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
Better yet why wasn't Peter Strickland hired to do it?

Z

• The movie, not the TV series, or the book
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
apiachatong weersathul
apichatpong weerasethakul

Fuck it, I was close enough!

zomgmouse

• I have party diarrhoea.
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »
Suspiria is my favourite horror film so if I do make myself watch this it'll be out of spite or curiosity. I had heard this was going to change stuff which would at least be interesting but apparently it doesn't? What an arrogant vanity project. I usually enjoy self-indulgence but not when it's so pompous.

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
I re-watched Phenomena last night, and I'm now watching the making-of film.
I like it, but it really does feel like a remake of Suspiria itself. Watching a load of Argento in a short time reveals just how little variation there is in his stories.

Which ones have you watched ?

Paaaaul

• Thumb off
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 05:50:21 PM »
Which ones have you watched ?
Suspiria
Phenomena
Inferno
Tenebrae
Four Flies On Grey Velvet
Deep Red

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
I'll watch this out of curiosity too but seems a really weird choice all round. The original is such a singular, dreamlike experience the only directors I'd like to see remake it are probably Gaspare Noe or Ken Russell if he was alive, that'd be a laugh.

Would be much more interested in remakes of Argento's non-supernatural giallo, if you have to have remakes. Deep Red or TBWTCP maybe done by the Bone Tomahawk guy, or Eli Roth to really take the piss (I like him tbf, makes entertaining films). I've not bothered with many of the recent-ish horror remakes - Maniac was ok but pretty forgettable.

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
I'll watch this out of curiosity too but seems a really weird choice all round. The original is such a singular, dreamlike experience the only directors I'd like to see remake it are probably Gaspare Noe or Ken Russell if he was alive, that'd be a laugh.

Have you heard about Noes new film he's got coming out soon? Doesnt sound too far off!

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »
Suspiria
Phenomena
Inferno
Tenebrae
Four Flies On Grey Velvet
Deep Red

So you've probably read tons of articles telling you those are his best, yeah ?

Thing is that most Italian giallo films are very much of a muchness - none of them are particularly interesting for their plots. It's the difference in style between one director and another that makes it interesting, or the style of an individual director as it evolves from one movie to another.

Now me, I actually may be one of the few madmen who prefers his later, dafter movies. I find Deep Red a chore and Mother of Tears a whacky, albeit horribly misogynistic, delight. Dracula has to be seen to be believed.

Thing is, I can see what you are saying, but don't sweat it. I'm interested to know where you find them wanting.

Your list splits in two exactly - the first three are supernatural thrillers that push your suspension of disbelief, the latter three variations on the murder-mystery thriller. There is to my mind one failure in each category, because he pushed things too far. If it helps, keep in mind that you aren't always supposed to find Argento's protagonists likeable, let alone heroic.

Paaaaul

• Thumb off
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »
So you've probably read tons of articles telling you those are his best, yeah ?

Thing is that most Italian giallo films are very much of a muchness - none of them are particularly interesting for their plots. It's the difference in style between one director and another that makes it interesting, or the style of an individual director as it evolves from one movie to another.

Now me, I actually may be one of the few madmen who prefers his later, dafter movies. I find Deep Red a chore and Mother of Tears a whacky, albeit horribly misogynistic, delight. Dracula has to be seen to be believed.

Thing is, I can see what you are saying, but don't sweat it. I'm interested to know where you find them wanting.

Your list splits in two exactly - the first three are supernatural thrillers that push your suspension of disbelief, the latter three variations on the murder-mystery thriller. There is to my mind one failure in each category, because he pushed things too far. If it helps, keep in mind that you aren't always supposed to find Argento's protagonists likeable, let alone heroic.

Oh, I get all that. I enjoy his films for what they are. He's a very imaginative visual director and I will be checking out more in the future. As generic as the stories are, they don't really matter. They're just a vector for the visuals and set pieces.

I watched that lot because they're the easiest ones to get on Bluray in the UK.

zomgmouse

• I have party diarrhoea.
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 12:55:03 AM »
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is way alright too