Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shaking Stephen's

Started by gilbertharding, June 04, 2018, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

the welsh pelvis (lovely pelvis our stephen had)

Psmith

He's from my home town.Dave Edmunds used to work the local pubs and I remember him being very good.Shakey was doing the same but I don't remember him at all.

studpuppet

The more I find out about him, the more I think he really deserved any success he got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHyJ8dZtFx0

poodlefaker

Biggest selling UK artist of the 1980s

studpuppet

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 07, 2018, 11:21:31 AM
Biggest selling UK artist of the 1980s

I actually checked the B-side writing credits, just to make sure he was okay for money in his dotage, and hadn't made the mistake Soft Cell made by putting Where Did Our Love Go on the back of Tainted Love.

Green Door (B-side writer)
This Ole House (B-side writer)
You Drive Me Crazy (B-side writer)
Shirley (B-side writer)
Merry Christmas Everyone (B-side co-writer)
A Rocking Good Way (B-side co-writer)

Phew!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: studpuppet on June 07, 2018, 10:15:36 AM
The more I find out about him, the more I think he really deserved any success he got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHyJ8dZtFx0

For some reason, that video really touched me. He's great.

His manager (or ex-manager) is the father of WElsh DnB producer, High Contrast.

Golden E. Pump

Yeah what a heartwarming video. Fair play, Shaking.

gilbertharding

Funcrusher

No mention of his membership of the Communist Party in his youth, or is that an urban myth?

Mr Banlon

He was good in Animal House

gilbertharding

Apparently he only helped them out when they were busy:

"He grew up in Ely, Cardiff, and as a teenager in the mid-1960s he formed his first amateur rock and roll band with school friends and became its vocalist and frontman. Originally named the Olympics, then the Cossacks, the short-lived band finally renamed as the Denims and performed gigs in the local Cardiff and South Wales area. In the late 1960s Stevens was associated with the Young Communist League (YCL), the youth wing of the Communist Party of Great Britain through playing at YCL events. At the time the YCL was associated with several leading music industry figures, including Pete Townshend. However, Stevens has stated that the organiser of the gigs was a member of the organisation, and that the band only performed because it was a job [6]."

Sherman Krank

It's amazing to think that if his life had taken a different path he could have been Pope by now.

Head Gardener

I prefer Shakin' Shakin' to be honest

Glebe

My favourite Shakin' Stevens album is the album The Best of Shakin' Stevens album.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 07, 2018, 07:31:17 PM

His manager (or ex-manager) is the father of WElsh DnB producer, High Contrast.

I know both guys, Paul (dad) and Linc ('High Contrast') - they used to be regulars at a horror/sci-fi event I attend every year. Weird to think that I first met High Contrast when he was ten. Haven't seen either of them for a while but Paul is still massively into 50s music and drive-in movies. I've never met Shakey but he seems like a great bunch of lads.

Most weeks on the singles chart in the 80s is a fucking mental stat but I suppose it helps if you first hit big in 1981 then cling on through your fan(ny) base.

non capisco

He was on the same gigging scene as my uncle in the 1960s with his band The Denims. Bloke's been going for ages.

'This Old House' was the first song I ever went absolutely nuts for, aged 2. Would not stop singing the fucking thing, apparently. I suppose this must make Shakin' Stevens the catalyst for my love of music. Lovely stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 07, 2018, 07:31:17 PM
For some reason, that video really touched me. He's great.

Yeah, me too. Wonder if Connie is still around?

Let's not blow too much smoke up Shaky's arse though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSmyFgnBXA

In 1985? Well ahead of his time. It took until 2015 for The Edge, Madonna, Dave Grohl and others to fall off stages and they acted like they bloody invented the idea.

Jittlebags

Was there a Shakin' Stevens tribute act called Jivin' Jenkins, or did I just dream that?

Jittlebags

I wonder how many embedded levels of tribute acts you could go. If you classified Stevens as an Elvis tribute, and had Jivin' Jenkins existed, that would be a three.

studpuppet

I always considered Vic Reeves to be a Shakey tribute.

jobotic

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 14, 2018, 10:25:00 AM
I wonder how many embedded levels of tribute acts you could go. If you classified Stevens as an Elvis tribute, and had Jivin' Jenkins existed, that would be a three.

That'd be great. Tributes to tributes to tributes, with no one knowing who the original act was.

poodlefaker

I once saw a Commitments tribute act; yer man would announce most songs along the lines of "Here's another one made famous by the Commitments..." before launching into Mustang Sally or somesuch. Dire.

Jockice

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 14, 2018, 03:11:50 PM
I once saw a Commitments tribute act; yer man would announce most songs along the lines of "Here's another one made famous by the Commitments..." before launching into Mustang Sally or somesuch. Dire.

A workmate of mine went to see The Commitments in concert not long after the movie - only to discover that only a couple of the band had actually appeared in the film and I don't think any of them had been in the main roles. I believe the singer was Andrew Strong's dad. My colleague wasn't too happy.

garbed_attic

Ruined a screening of The King's Speech at the Ipswich Film Theatre by performing far too loudly above the screening room. I just hope it was an anti-royalist statement.