Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:38:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Down the Line

Started by chrispmartha, June 05, 2018, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispmartha

Garry Bellamy just did a tweet...

"hello. is there anybody there?"

This couldn't mean something could it?

Malcy

Be good to hear some new ones. Wish Bellamy's People had lasted a bit longer though. Really underrated.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Malcy on June 05, 2018, 06:02:00 PM
Be good to hear some new ones. Wish Bellamy's People had lasted a bit longer though. Really underrated.

As much as i enjoyed the TV show, the radio version was near enough perfect, can still listen to the old ones and enjoy them even though i know them line for line, probably my favourite comedy thing in the last decade, felix dexter would be sorely missed though

Utter Shit

Oh God please don't tease me. Down The Line was absolutely incredible. Vot is point point-to-point?

And yeah the radio show was so much better than the TV version, a much purer concept that felt more rooted in reality (mainly because most people that call in to radio shows are nutters). Bellamy's People was good but was a slightly more up-and-down affair. If I remember right there was an entire series' worth of footage filmed and ready to be aired that never saw the light of day, so theoretically there could be some Felix-laden episodes lying somewhere waiting to be used one day.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 05, 2018, 06:14:14 PM
Oh God please don't tease me. Down The Line was absolutely incredible. Vot is point point-to-point?

And yeah the radio show was so much better than the TV version, a much purer concept that felt more rooted in reality (mainly because most people that call in to radio shows are nutters). Bellamy's People was good but was a slightly more up-and-down affair. If I remember right there was an entire series' worth of footage filmed and ready to be aired that never saw the light of day, so theoretically there could be some Felix-laden episodes lying somewhere waiting to be used one day.

If i ever happen to catch a phone in show on the radio it's amazing how well they captured the whole feel of the thing, I sometimes listen to LBC and I swear some of the callers are just sending DTK up

Utter Shit

I love that the first few minutes of the first episode are played completely straight, and then there's a subtle shift towards silliness, eventually descending into total madness as the show continues.

sevendaughters

yes, would love more. the Robert Popper call about the plane with the briefcase with envelopes in nearly made me crash a van with laughter.

magval

I just recently listened to all of these (including the infamous haunted studio episode, on headphones, on my own, with no knowledge that it existed) and I agree with whoever said it was the best comedy programme of the last ten years. Had me laughing consistently throughout. Standout calls for me were some of the great lists, like the woman who'd been watching CCTV forever ("I've seen a vampire. I've seen Moira Stuart") and Simon Day's list of Horsemen which included Slime and Magic.

Bellamy's People, though. I gotta say, didn't really work for me.*

I don't transfer to TV is your forte**

*Fuck off

**FUck OFF

chrispmartha

From the last series 'the four arsemen of the apopopolips' made me nearly crash!

sevendaughters

btw while I thought Bellamy's People was hit and miss, the bits with Julius Olomofemwe were excellent and the Geoffrey Allerton poetry reading is one of my favourite bits of telly ever, strangely beautiful, and Rhys Thomas trying not to corpse is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lMexzk3TA8

chrispmartha

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 05, 2018, 10:48:38 PM
sevendaughters that bit is incredible. BRIAN MAY SHOULD PLAY FOR AN HOWAH

As much as I prefer the radio show, that brian may bit is glorious, Felix Dexter really was fabulous wasn't he!

Whatever man, me own two goose!

https://youtu.be/F-CtREQK75M

'Now the ironing lady has passed on' :-)

checkoutgirl

Dexter's ear for an accent and a phrase was amazing. Never to be replaced.

"ting an ting an dingaling"

"beat de monkey out of de fellowe"

Mobius

Hehe even reading the quotes in this thread makes me chuckle. Such a brilliantly hilarious show, I would love more.

GEORGE MICHAEL IS NOT A POOF!

zomgmouse

Ahhh this is reminding me I need to watch the TV series then continue listening to the radio series which I think mentions the TV series at the start of whichever episode came right after the TV run? Terrific stuff all round really.

chrispmartha

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 05, 2018, 11:44:51 PM
Ahhh this is reminding me I need to watch the TV series then continue listening to the radio series which I think mentions the TV series at the start of whichever episode came right after the TV run? Terrific stuff all round really.

"What happened bloody tv"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BE THERE WIT ME SOOKLIN' PIG

How Rhys Thomas manages to keep a straight face during Dexter's bits I have no idea.

sevendaughters

Malcy

Shut up in ya mout scotchboy!

Thinking about it, I don't think I do want any more without Felix.

"I wanted him to pick me up in his big green arms and carry me away"

I still can't work out whether that's Day or Higson.

Custard

Both the radio and telly series are great in my book. It's just laugh after laugh

"WILL YOU SHUT IT!!!!"

Which I didn't know was Harry Enfield until someone pointed it out on here. And somehow that makes it even funnier

Custard

Though the most I've ever laughed was actually at an outtake on the DVD, where Bellamy is walking along interviewing a Whitehouse character, and Whitehouse's hair/wig keeps blowing up, exposing his bald head underneath

It doesn't sound like much, but watching them try not to crack up is fucking hysterical. Hooting just thinking about it

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 06, 2018, 10:00:51 AM

Definitely Simon Day.

Utter Shit

"Where are you from my love?"
"Putney"

sevendaughters

'oos gonna come back to my school, Kenny Noy, do the raffle?

chrispmartha

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 06, 2018, 10:00:51 AM

I think its Higson

"You very rarely saw the Jesus"

"Go from me to the other place, where you will burn for the sins of buggery and bottom business"

checkoutgirl

"You'd 'ave more chance o dancin' on custard"

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 06, 2018, 01:03:51 PM
Glad we sorted that one out.
The CD liner notes say it's Day. I could have sworn it was Higson but now I know it's Day you can tell it's him. My favourite call. The first time I heard that I was listening to it in bed in the middle of the night and I honestly thought I was dying. I was in hysterics. It still makes me laugh if I think about it.

'As a child I saw the honey monster, laughing, and his body shook and I wished he was real.'

I've perfected Robert Popper's Baal voice now, much to my wife's disappointment.

neveragain

Are they all available to buy?