Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Down the Line

Started by chrispmartha, June 05, 2018, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

"Ring in, if you're black!"

magval

Quote from: neveragain on June 06, 2018, 02:20:24 PM
Are they all available to buy?

They're all out of print. I imagine your best bet would be finding them in an actual shop, but I've had no luck trying to do so.

I'm a sucker for liner notes. Would love to find these.

Jerzy Bondov

Liner notes is overstating it. It just tells you who did each call. I'll give em a scan

Malcy

The CD's are available on Amazon but they are £30-60 at least.

Sarge

I managed to get Series 2 recently on Amazon for about a tenner

Norton Canes

Custard

Fuck's sakes, relistening to the radio show again, and it's one of the most consistently funny things ever made. You barely have time to laugh, through worry you might miss the next funny line

Simon Day as the partially reformed convict. "FIND OUT WHERE HE LIVES!!!"

"Ello, jock!"

Explaining killing his mum: "I saw her talking to another man, who wasn't my dad. And she was getting on me nerves"

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It's a tragedy that one of the best things Whitehouse, Higson & Co ever produced isn't widely available. DTL deserves to be revered.

sevendaughters

am relistening again, nearly every single Felix Dexter call has slayed me, particularly the Samson ones. I can see them doing a good series without him as some new comedic voices have turned up in the last 5 years that they could use (if there is a new series) but christ this guy was GOOOOOD.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 07, 2018, 09:54:14 AM
Fuck's sakes, relistening to the radio show again, and it's one of the most consistently funny things ever made. You barely have time to laugh, through worry you might miss the next funny line

Simon Day as the partially reformed convict. "FIND OUT WHERE HE LIVES!!!"

"Ello, jock!"

Explaining killing his mum: "I saw her talking to another man, who wasn't my dad. And she was getting on me nerves"

My favourite Tony Beckton moment is when he tells his dad that he's had his mum killed, "at first he was angry - but once I explained it to him, he backed me and he was alright about it".

Beagle 2

Ah yeah, it's time to go back and listen to all these again I think.

Bhazor

Might just be me but I found Bellamy's People oddly bleak and grim. With all the material taken from the radio show feeling really dragged out without the perfect timing of the original version. The new material was done a bit better though.

But I adore Down The Line. Just one more Bahl story would make a new series worthwhile to me.

magval

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 06, 2018, 11:28:52 PM
THURSDAY

Don't man.

Happily walking through the train station when that happened and it literally brought tears to my eyes. Horrified.

I went to see Ghost Stories that previous weekend too so Whitehouse was involved heavily in my nightmares for a good few days.

Bhazor

For the longest time I thought Bahl, or however you spell it, was Higson. Either way its a voice that cracks me up no matter what he actually says.  On par with Bob Mortimers "chinese" accent.

Jerzy Bondov

I like the one where Baal calls in but has to go because there's someone at the door. He says he'll call back and Gary warns him he won't get through because it's so busy. He gets back on almost immediately.

I also really like the steamy French lady who talks about 'beautiful lovemaking' and gets Gary hot under the collar. And me.

I've also just remembered the one where Gary hypes up an interview with a controversial neo-Nazi but every time they get him on he can't hear anything and just keeps saying 'hello?'. And then you hear another voice in the background 'Thomas I've put your trousers out for tomorrow'. Both Higson I think. So funny.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Bhazor on June 07, 2018, 10:32:37 AM
Might just be me but I found Bellamy's People oddly bleak and grim. With all the material taken from the radio show feeling really dragged out without the perfect timing of the original version. The new material was done a bit better though.

But I adore Down The Line. Just one more Bahl story would make a new series worthwhile to me.

"I'll call you straight back"

chrispmartha

Its also responsible for the best made up character name (outside of toast of london)...

Tonk Schpimmer

More I think of it more I think its up there with my favourite comedy of all time.

sevendaughters

"the Lib Dem Dem Mans Dem never say so so so"

Jerzy Bondov

Professor Tom Wiley here. Hi Gary. As you probably know, I am one of the world's most eminent drugologists. What I intend to do today is a little self-experimentation, if you will allow me that facility. I have in my hand an LSD tablet, which I propose to take for you, live on your show. Don't worry, it's all perfectly safe. I am currently within the confines of my lab-ora-tory. I accept full responsibility for whatever happens to me. Okay. The pill is on the tongue... Absolutely nothing whatsoever has happened. I hope that proves conclusively, once and for all, that a lot of the dangers of so-called drugs are overemphasised in popular culture. Thanks very much. Goodbye! I can't hang about I've got a very important liver transplant that I'm about to attend to.

Jerzy Bondov

Good evening, when I was in a rugby club many years ago we would start off drinking an inch of ale, then a foot of ale, then a yard of ale, and then a mile of ale. After that we'd move onto spirits, whiskey was my tipple, and I would drink a bag of whiskey. This was a leather bag, rather like those used by bagpipe players, full of whiskey, and that would be put on my head. We would then really start to drink, and I once drank a barrel of sherry. We were all completely naked by then, and they held the barrel up, and I drank the sherry barrel in one. And I died three times on the operating table. I then drank twenty five pints of beer with the surgeon who saved my life. BEAT THAT.

Beagle 2

Quote from: chrispmartha on June 07, 2018, 01:38:03 PM
Its also responsible for the best made up character name (outside of toast of london)...

Tonk Schpimmer

More I think of it more I think its up there with my favourite comedy of all time.

Surely Jeff Leopard is the best Down the Line name?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Can I just say, and likely elicit both scorn and envy, that I have never heard Down The Line, and saw Bellamy's People for the first time yesterday, prompted by this thread. To be fair, prompted merely  by mention of Felix Dexter.

Watched an episode yesterday. One of the most consistently hitting a laugh things I've seen.

Thanks all.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on June 07, 2018, 03:02:18 PM
Can I just say, and likely elicit both scorn and envy, that I have never heard Down The Line, and saw Bellamy's People for the first time yesterday, prompted by this thread. To be fair, prompted merely  by mention of Felix Dexter.

Watched an episode yesterday. One of the most consistently hitting a laugh things I've seen.

Thanks all.

I'm quite jealous of you, this means that you will have the pleasure of hearing all the 5 series of DTL for the first time!

chrispmartha

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 07, 2018, 02:20:33 PM
Surely Jeff Leopard is the best Down the Line name?

"I'm not bad at Boggle"

Crabwalk

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 07, 2018, 01:14:14 PM
I've also just remembered the one where Gary hypes up an interview with a controversial neo-Nazi but every time they get him on he can't hear anything and just keeps saying 'hello?'. And then you hear another voice in the background 'Thomas I've put your trousers out for tomorrow'. Both Higson I think. So funny.

I think that's the first ever episode isn't it? One of the best bits they ever did. Ever since hearing that inquisitive 'hellooo?', that's how me and my wife call for each other when we return home. And of course, we can't hear a dog barking without snarling 'SHUT IT'. What a pair of cunts.

Malcy

I'm whacking all these on my iPad tonight. In the middle of decorating and think this would be the perfect thing to accompany it. Been ages since I listened to them.

Felix Dexter is such a loss to comedy. Does anyone remember that BBC 50 years thing that showed bits from unaired pilots? They should release his.

Custard

The Ghosts episode is genuinely terrifying

"GAAAAARY"

BritishHobo

Another one scrambling for a relisten thanks to this theead.

My favourite moment has to be the little boy who calls up to name a planet, and innocently laughing at Gary's suggestions, only for Gary to suss out he's a grown man. It's such an odd voice, it always sticks with me.

magval

I really like it when Nibbsy (Chris Nibbs, Chris Nibbs) has a go at people not watching things in the right aspect ratio. Always think that character's going to go total caricature (like Martin Hole in the TV series) and he never does.

He's never made out to be the dick that he always seems on the edge of being portrayed as, if that makes sense.