Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:17:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Down the Line

Started by chrispmartha, June 05, 2018, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Currently on S5 Episode 3 which turns onto being about gay marriage despite that not being the subject

Tony Beckton's call is hilarious

"In prison a man has got NEEEEDS"
...and outside prison?
"...Disgusting."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Good, you've done me, good job well done!"  - that could pretty much have been copied and pasted into a James O'Brien phone in

Bhazor

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 07, 2018, 09:09:00 PM
My favourite moment has to be the little boy who calls up to name a planet, and innocently laughing at Gary's suggestions, only for Gary to suss out he's a grown man. It's such an odd voice, it always sticks with me.

Reminded me of a great bit in the hot housing episode where it takes a weird twist at the end

"My parents both hot housed me, they would play mozart to me while I was in the womb and taught me french, german, organic chemistry and hiroshima mathematics"
"What's hiroshima mathematics?"
"It's like mathematics but harder."
"How old are you?"
"I'm nearly seven."
"Oh. Do-"
"(interrupting) Gary. I am in your living room"

Positively Lynchian, like the party call in Lost Highway

Crabwalk

Quote from: magval on June 07, 2018, 09:16:18 PM
I really like it when Nibbsy (Chris Nibbs, Chris Nibbs) has a go at people not watching things in the right aspect ratio. Always think that character's going to go total caricature (like Martin Hole in the TV series) and he never does.

He's never made out to be the dick that he always seems on the edge of being portrayed as, if that makes sense.

Great observation. He always stays just about reasonable. Nice guy is Nibbsy, Chris Nibbs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think of Nibbs like a bit of a Top Gear Dad, a guy who thinks his opinions are slightly more novel and witty than the fairly mundane fuddy observations they actually are. Works well on Down The Line as ballast - some good character stuff as Gary Bellamy clear seems to think he's a 'legend'.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 07, 2018, 09:28:36 PM
Great observation. He always stays just about reasonable. Nice guy is Nibbsy, Chris Nibbs.

Almost the opposite of Graham Downes in that respect - seems like a sweet, innocent bloke but the casual racism is always just below the surface and the reveal of him being a bully at school was brilliant.

magval

I was unreasonably upset by Gary ducking him in the second last episode after he'd made the promise earlier in the series.

Bhazor

Downes turned into a full dickhead in Bellamy's People.

Custard

Didn't they drop the "foreign boys" stuff from Downes in the telly series?

His mum seems much younger than she is made out to be on the radio show, too

Bhazor

Yeah but he's much more overtly manipulative and cruel towards his mum. Again I found the tv version quite bleak.

chrispmartha

Downes was probably my least favourite character (along with the meditation guy played by Whitehouse)

Utter Shit

The best bit of Downes on the radio is him having a sly dig at Gary (something to do with banker sounding like wanker, I forget) and then immediately regretting it and quietly saying "no need for that, is there".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh fucking hell, Chuck Perry

magval

Utter Shit

Paul Whitehouse, I'm pretty sure.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 07, 2018, 11:09:56 PM
Paul Whitehouse, I'm pretty sure.

Kahlid peaked at 'What is point, point to point?' Surely?

Phil_A

Quote from: Bhazor on June 07, 2018, 10:21:06 PM
Yeah but he's much more overtly manipulative and cruel towards his mum. Again I found the tv version quite bleak.

I felt that was more the case in "Nurse", in which they made the mum character older and their relationship was more fractious. That version was ultra-bleak.

Custard

Still, she must love him as she keeps him in Sugar Puffs

Mobius

i could drive a van, rammed with explosives...

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Mobius on June 07, 2018, 11:53:29 PM

I come from a military background!

Bhazor

Relistening again. Know it word for word but still makes me laugh. "Do I trust Ant & Dec? No. Do I trust Peter Pervis? No. Do I trust Tony the tiger, GRRRREAAAT! No."

Quote from: Mobius on June 07, 2018, 11:53:29 PM

Saw a reference to that in the comments on an orgy video. Giggled so hard I shot cum right up my nose.

Was listening to this again last night at work and the noise the flu suffering Early D makes when he blows his nose had me bursting into laughter.

Had another laughing out loud moment whilst listening on my headphones walking down a busy street this morning, it was the Scottish man in the quiet carriage of a train played by Paul Whitehouse, the  "I'll stick the heed on ya, ya wee poof" sign off.

Bhazor

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 09, 2018, 08:35:44 PM
Had another laughing out loud moment whilst listening on my headphones walking down a busy street this morning, it was the Scottish man in the quiet carriage of a train played by Paul Whitehouse, the  "I'll stick the heed on ya, ya wee poof" sign off.

Same for me but with the drunk " yeah yeah, gerrof mah cock"

kalowski

"George Michael is not a puff!"

spamwangler

Started giving this a go today - I was just thinking I'm starting to tune into it - always takes me a while to get into any kind of series - then the bloke who keeps on telling his dog to SHUT IT came on, and I was in bits

magval

Quote from: spamwangler on June 11, 2018, 07:41:25 PM
Started giving this a go today - I was just thinking I'm starting to tune into it - always takes me a while to get into any kind of series - then the bloke who keeps on telling his dog to SHUT IT came on, and I was in bits

I was exactly the same, I recall the corner I was walking around in Belfast at that exact moment and the looks I got because of the sudden uncontrollable laughter.

Utter Shit

Which episode is the SHUT IT call? I remember it well but want to listen to it again. Another bit that lost something when it transferred to screen.

Crabwalk

'Shut it' is in loads of them.

spamwangler

I think it's the very last call on the second episode?  Second or third