Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spotify players that do nothing else

Started by drummersaredeaf, June 06, 2018, 10:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I listen to music in earphones when I work, but I'm also very distracted by my phone. Is there anything out there other than a sim-less phone that will do the same job relatively cheaply?

Cuellar

Could get a sim-less phone (not being facetious).

Cheap old smartphone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-Moto-G-2-Generation-TPU-schwarz/362227494041?hash=item545670ec99:g:ccUAAOSwjIVacGmu

just an example. Bound to be cheaper things out there.

Thanks, that's an option I may have to resort to. I'm also considering wireless earphones for the laptop, and even a discman.

I'm so easily distracted by my phone that I fear that anything that could even connect to the internet will cunt up my productivity. I'm keen to avoid something that is shaped like a phone even so I can train myself out of that reflex of just checking the screen every ten minutes for contact.

New Jack

I use airplane mode... Music is quite good and worth having in isolation. Might be easier than any other option!

Johnny Textface

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 06, 2018, 10:10:11 AM
I listen to music in earphones when I work, but I'm also very distracted by my phone. Is there anything out there other than a sim-less phone that will do the same job relatively cheaply?

I could do with a something like a 'spotify player' myself. I hate always getting distracted by my phone. I use mine mainly for music / podcasts and audio books (all streaming).
Something that does that and isn't a smart phone (and I'll just get one of those new nokia 3310's for calls). Sick of phones.

Endicott

A small tablet? With music apps but no social media apps?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I found that turning the alerts off on all my apps just made me more insistant on checking it more often.

I need a solution that will allow me to leave the phone in another room ideally. And ideally one that isn't phone-shaped.

What generation of the ipod touch does this?

Instead of spending money on some device (that might not even exist) give me the money and I'll kick you in the shins every time you try to check your phone.

It turns out that such a device does exist (although I think you should seriously consider the kicked shins option).

https://bemighty.com/products/mighty

Cuellar

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 08, 2018, 12:59:35 PM
I found that turning the alerts off on all my apps just made me more insistant on checking it more often.

I need a solution that will allow me to leave the phone in another room ideally. And ideally one that isn't phone-shaped.

What generation of the ipod touch does this?

Just some bluetooth headphones?

Can you listen to Spotify on a computer, or just get a normal mp3 player?

Sebastian Cobb

If you've got wifi, which presumably you have as otherwise spotify probably wouldn't work you could plug headphones directly into a chromecast audio. £20.

Dunno why you can't plug it into the tooter though.

Or just not be so obsessed with your magic lil phone.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2018, 06:55:01 PM
If you've got wifi, which presumably you have as otherwise spotify probably wouldn't work you could plug headphones directly into a chromecast audio. £20.

Dunno why you can't plug it into the tooter though.
Yeah, anything you come up with is essentially going to be controlled by a distracting device, unless you spend a day setting up a Raspberry Pi or something to act as a random-playing music box.

Jesus christ this is the stupidest thing I ever read you should be fired

Dex Sawash

Will a Alexa or an Google puck play spotify?

Consignia

i'm pretty sure many smart radios have Spotify. Like this: https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/products/radio/smart-radio/stream-217

Amazon Echo's and Google Homes do it as well. But then you'll have Mr. NSA listening to you masturbate.

Z

I've a lifetime subscription to a website blocking app called Freedom where I block half of the intent on my iPhone and laptop for a few scheduled portions of each day. I'm sure it's quite easy to work around but the outright shame I'd feel for myself doing that keeps me in line.

It's not 100% perfect with some apps though. (eg whatsapp still works regardless of block status asides from some tertiary features)

RE Spotify, if you only use the offline mode and it works on rooted phones. You might be able to zombie something together by removing whatever the cellular network drivers are on that phone? It always surprises me that no one makes a custom version of Android that deliberately lacks a bunch of features but I guess the kind of guys who make custom versions of Android don't have issues with their attention span.