Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

History of the F-Bomb in UK TV comedy

Started by ajsmith2, June 06, 2018, 12:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

meant to start this thread a few times, but was brought to mind yesterday when I finally got around to watching the German Monty Python specials, and was surprised to see they got 'She's a FUCKING PRINCESS!' onto TV in 1972. Presumably they put this in and it got through cos the German censors weren't au fait with the precise severity of English swears. EDIT: the second special was dubbed into German anyway wasn't it? So I guess it never aired with the English audio in 1972.

Anyway, it got me thinking about the history and development of the use of the F-word in UK TV comedy.(not films or serious shows or other entertainment shows, but specifically UK TV comedy). These days it's used willy nilly, it's effectiveness and shock value almost entirely blunted, but this has been an incremental thing since at least the 90s. Something I notice watching UK BBC tv comedy in the mid 90s was that shows seemed to be allowed just one 'fuck' per series: series 1 (and I think 2) of The Fast Show is like this, as well as I'm Alan Partridge. Was that an official policy at the time? You're allowed one f bomb, so use it well? What was the first UK TV show to use an direct F Bomb? Not talking about things like Stan Boardman saying 'Fokkers' or The High Life with 'You F'Coffee'? I'm talking about an unbashed, no double entendre, just coming right out there and using it use of 'Fuck' on a  mainstream UK TV comedy. I think the Fast Show WW1 sketch from 1995 might have been the first one, but any further illumination appreciated.

EOLAN

I think Father Ted did have a classic use of it in the lovely sheep competition.

There isn't any need for me to describe it - ye all know it surely, and if not I just would ruin it for you.

DrGreggles

I remember it being said on various Comic Strips in the 80s.
As for non C4 shows, HIGNFY must have said it unbleeped in the early to mid 90s.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on June 06, 2018, 12:44:46 PM
I think Father Ted did have a classic use of it in the lovely sheep competition.

There isn't any need for me to describe it - ye all know it surely, and if not I just would ruin it for you.

Not the first (as that was 1998), but possibly the funniest.

Billy

The last time it genuinely astonished me was on a repeat of Drop The Dead Donkey in about 2000 - the original ep was early-mid 1990s (Sally shouting "FUCK off, George!") which might predate the Fast Show example.

Uncle TechTip

Who Dares Wins did it a few times, mid 80s.

Kenneth Tynan was famously the first in 1967, it was on the satirical show BBC 3 so counts as comedy (although it was unscripted)

the

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 06, 2018, 12:26:10 PMWhat was the first UK TV show to use an direct F Bomb? Not talking about things like Stan Boardman saying 'Fokkers' or The High Life with 'You F'Coffee'? I'm talking about an unbashed, no double entendre, just coming right out there and using it use of 'Fuck' on a  mainstream UK TV comedy. I think the Fast Show WW! sketch from 1995 might have been the first one, but any further illumination appreciated.

You've got two things going on there - first scripted use in a UK TV show, and the same in a 'mainstream UK TV comedy'.

On the second one - not sure on your definition of 'mainstream', but one that sprang to mind was Bad News (1983).

In non-comedy terms, I'd be surprised if there weren't some earlier gritty dramas that got a scripted one in.

ajsmith2

Quote from: EOLAN on June 06, 2018, 12:44:46 PM

Extra effective/unexpected cos the Ted universe already has it's own Fuck substitute?

kalowski

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 06, 2018, 01:04:34 PM
Extra effective/unexpected cos the Ted universe already has it's own Fuck substitute?
But wasn't it "fuppin' hell" in that sheep episode? Think it was Linehan himself delivering it.

yesitsme

What year did Tony shout 'I fucking love you!' to Deborah?

Martin Clunes was Daily Mailic enemy No.1 for a while for saying 'They'll be saying the F-Word on Blue Peter in a few years.' wasn't he?

I remember Spitting Image doing a FGtH spoof where the line

'Remix, relay it - getsomeotherfuckerintoplayit' caused a bit of a storm in a tea-cup.  Especially in our hourse where my mum heard it as clearasafuckingbell.

There's a line on Monty Python at Drury Lane where a femaie (Lyn Ashley?) apologises for (I think) the swearing in the Albatross Sketch by going something like...

'We're so sorry for that sketch.
We are deeply sorry,
We are so fucking sorry...'

It gets a big laugh but I remember being quite shocked by the use of it despite having listened to John Cleese going 'fucking seabird fucking flavour' for 10 minutes.

The theme tune to Jigsaw was famously written after the producer woke up one morning singing 'F-f-f-f-f-fuck off y'cunts, f-f-f-fuck off y'cunts.'

Brundle-Fly

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: kalowski on June 06, 2018, 01:07:27 PM
But wasn't it "fuppin' hell" in that sheep episode? Think it was Linehan himself delivering it.

I think you might be getting confused with the guy that has a go at Ted in Old Grey Whistle Theft for taking his picnic spot.

Wet Blanket

Dave Allen got in hot water for saying 'a fucking clock' in one of his routines in 1990. It even got brought up in parliament, so it must have still been relatively uncommon.

When did they stop dubbing ridiculous soft equivalents over film swears on TV?

I seem to remember Stella Street was pretty foul mouthed, when was that, mid-nineties?

LORD BAD VIBE

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 06, 2018, 01:02:26 PM
Kenneth Tynan was famously the first in 1967, it was on the satirical show BBC 3 so counts as comedy (although it was unscripted)

There's a possibility that Tynan wasn't the first. Three other instances are said to have happened before him.

1) A totally pissed Brendan Behan on Panorama in 1956, although he was so out of it nobody could make out much of what he was saying.
2) A man who painted the railings on the Stranmills Embankment in Belfast vouchsafed that his job was "fucking boring" to an Ulster TV magazine show in 1959
3) Miriam Margoles claims to have used the word out of frustration while appearing on University Challenge in 1963

It would be interesting to finally nail when the first scripted use of the word appeared in a comedy show without being bleeped or obscured in some way. I doubt it would be any earlier than the early 80s.

daf

Quote from: yesitsme on June 06, 2018, 01:16:27 PM
Martin Clunes was Daily Mailic enemy No.1 for a while for saying 'They'll be saying the F-Word on Blue Peter in a few years.' wasn't he?

F*** my Hat! I always thought David Baddiel said that!

Googed it : I was Clunes, but it was the "S-word" he was predicting (has it happened yet?)

Jockice

Not sure if this counts as comedy, but chart-topping novelty pop act Lieutenant Pigeon said the word 'fuck' on television four years before the Sex Pistols. 1.22 in....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRPK425wLuQ

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: daf on June 06, 2018, 01:57:18 PM
Googed it : I was Clunes, but it was the "S-word" he was predicting (has it happened yet?)

Blue Peter will NEVER use the S-Word on air.
They will always call it "Sticky Backed Plastic".

daf

Quote from: Jockice on June 06, 2018, 02:23:27 PM
Lieutenant Pigeon said the word 'fuck' on television four years before the Sex Pistols. 1.22 in....

Coo - Good Spot!

I was going to trump that with Hey Jude on David Frost in 1968, but I think that may have been an F-bomb free live version (though the record must have been played on Top of the Pops in 1968)

bobloblaw

Quote from: Billy on June 06, 2018, 12:53:15 PM
The last time it genuinely astonished me was on a repeat of Drop The Dead Donkey in about 2000 - the original ep was early-mid 1990s (Sally shouting "FUCK off, George!") which might predate the Fast Show example.

Yes, this. And even more shockingly, the paintballing episode features an anecdote of George of all people saying 'motherfucker'

My hazy recollection is that in drama, GBH opened the door and later on, Teachers would be one of the first 'popular' (i.e. light/comedy drama/returning series) to eff and jeff ... but outside of the odd Absolutely or whatnot, it wasn't really standard in comedy until Brass Eye.

In BBC1 comedy, it's probably all Catherine Tate's fault.

bobloblaw

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on June 06, 2018, 01:48:34 PM
There's a possibility that Tynan wasn't the first. Three other instances are said to have happened before him.

1) A totally pissed Brendan Behan on Panorama in 1956, although he was so out of it nobody could make out much of what he was saying.
2) A man who painted the railings on the Stranmills Embankment in Belfast vouchsafed that his job was "fucking boring" to an Ulster TV magazine show in 1959
3) Miriam Margoles claims to have used the word out of frustration while appearing on University Challenge in 1963

It would be interesting to finally nail when the first scripted use of the word appeared in a comedy show without being bleeped or obscured in some way. I doubt it would be any earlier than the early 80s.

Comic Strip. Got to be. And they got away with it mostly cos they were like movies.

daf

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on June 06, 2018, 02:28:32 PM
Blue Peter will NEVER use the S-Word on air.
They will always call it "Sticky Backed Plastic".

Apologies for pouring a Cornballs scorn-bucket on this, but wasn't 'Sticky Tape' Blue Peter's name for Sellotape?

'Sticky Backed Plastic' was their name for . . er . . 'sticky back plastic' :

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/craft-essentials/decoration-and-finishes/sticky-back-plastic

gloria

Quote from: yesitsme on June 06, 2018, 01:16:27 PM

There's a line on Monty Python at Drury Lane where a femaie (Lyn Ashley?) apologises for (I think) the swearing in the Albatross Sketch by going something like...

'We're so sorry for that sketch.
We are deeply sorry,
We are so fucking sorry...'

It gets a big laugh but I remember being quite shocked by the use of it despite having listened to John Cleese going 'fucking seabird fucking flavour' for 10 minutes.

Have a feeling this was actually the NTNON live album Not In Front Of The Audience and the performer was Pamela Stephenson.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: daf on June 06, 2018, 02:46:58 PM
Apologies for pouring a Cornballs scorn-bucket on this, but wasn't 'Sticky Tape' Blue Peter's name for Sellotape?

'Sticky Backed Plastic' was their name for . . er . . 'sticky back plastic' :

I remember SBP as being a tape euphemism, but even the wise denizens of Mumsnet leave me uncertain...

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other_subjects/290393-very-important-please-settle-an-arguement-between-moh-and-her

yesitsme

Quote from: gloria on June 06, 2018, 02:49:34 PM

Have a feeling this was actually the NTNON live album Not In Front Of The Audience and the performer was Pamela Stephenson.

I never owned NIotO so if it is I'll be stunned.

I've still got the LP.

Got fuck all to play it on though.

daf

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on June 06, 2018, 03:29:27 PM
I remember SBP as being a tape euphemism, but even the wise denizens of Mumsnet leave me uncertain...

Yes, it often sticks in peoples memories as SBP (clip shows and whatnot) - probably because it's such a lovely fruity phrase. *

This clip is labeled as 'sticky backed plastic', but the Judd actually says 'sticky tape' (2:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9vQJBpuNA

(I actually made one of these chunky Blake's 7 Bangles at the time - brown paint and all!)

- - - - - - -
* Sticky backed plastic WAS used on the show - but usually to cover books, or to laminate pictures - I think the trade name for SBS was possibly 'Fablon'?

Autopsy Turvey

It had never occurred to me that the double use of 'fucking' in Bad News Tour (1983) must be the first scripted fuck in a British TV comedy, but I always just assumed that when the show went out, it must have been bleeped, but subsequent repeats and releases were not. I have no evidence for this, but surely all fucks were bleeped on TV in 1983? Obviously Channel 4 was a new minority interest channel, but if the fucks went unbleeped it seems amazing that there wasn't uproar in the press, who I'd guess were hyper-vigilant against this new threat to young morals.

Ironically, the sweary exchange includes the observation that "You can always put in a fucking bleep". Which I'd guess is what they would have done in a real documentary? It's also arguable that if they had bleeped the 'fucking' in that sentence, it would have been funnier.

holdover

Quote from: Jockice on June 06, 2018, 02:23:27 PM
Not sure if this counts as comedy, but chart-topping novelty pop act Lieutenant Pigeon said the word 'fuck' on television four years before the Sex Pistols. 1.22 in....

Years later The Boo Radleys got away with two fucks in their TOTP performance of C'mon Kids. I've been waiting for it to turn up on YouTube for years.

another Mr. Lizard

There's the famous (apocryphal?) story about Max Miller betting a mate that he could slip the F-word into his BBC radio show the following week - winning the wager by performing a sketch set in an opticians and containing the line "every time I see F, you see K".

gilbertharding

Ah yes - the cheeky chappie. Never blue.

"I was on this narrow mountain path, and I saw this beautiful blonde coming towards me. Well, I didn't know whether to have a massive wank, or fuck her up the hole."

In other news:

sticky tape = SellotapeTM

sticky backed plastic = FablonTM

The only times they ever used sticky tape was accompanied by the phrase "Now you glue (CopydexTM, PrittTM, GloyTM) the sequin to the bangle -  I'm using double sided sticky tape for speed - like this."

Brundle-Fly

Then there was Jools Holland's "groovy fuckers" live advert trail for The Tube in 1987.