Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music To Commit Suicide By

Started by Silver SurferGhost, February 21, 2004, 04:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver SurferGhost

Consider this a repeat of the Depressing Songs thread from the old boards.
Sorry whoever started that, but I got bored waiting for you to get it going again.
If you like you can extend it to whole albums, like I'm about to do...
I'll kick off with one someone else (TJ? Daves?)  chose in the old thread (but only because I'd forgotten it) :

Reality by Second Hand (1968)
One of them there psychy/proggy concept albums, all doomy organwork and slightly hysterical vocals,
where the protagonist celebrates the album's finale by killing himself in the bath.
From beginning to end, it's one long low moan of pain. Even the *cheery* songs have an unsettling undertone.
Best hide your razor before listening to that one.

There's also The Wall of course, but I've always considered that one a bit of a sham, personally.
Don't Leave Me Now is a treat, though.

I'll leave it at that for now unless no-one suggests any Nick Cave or Leonard Cohen in a hurry.
Individual songs or whole albums, it's up to you.

And what do you think of depressing songs in general, do you think they perpetuate the misery,
or is there nowt like a good wallow for a bit to snap you out of it?
Or have you ever been perfectly happy until you've heard a depressing song,  and then felt like doing yourself in?
I suppose your view is coloured by the use of the term "depressing", as believe me,
I do understand the distinction between depression and just "feeling sad".
Your thoughts, as ever, will be of interest.

By the way, the thread title comes from an obscure Roy Wood b-side, trivia fans.

TOCMFIC

Marillion - Script for a Jesters Tear: "I'm losing on the swings, I'm losing on the roundabouts..." Couple that with Chelsea Monday, He Knows You Know, Forgotten Sons... Definite artery opening time.

Their "Fugazi" album has much the same effect in spots. "She Chameleon" especially.

I think some of Cohen's stuff is a little TOO far gone. Like "Everybody Knows". Great song, but it's almost parody.

Obviously, Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures and Closer are quite depressing. Also New Order's early stuff, specifically "In A Lonely Place."

Almost Yearly

For me, anything by The Smiths. Sorry everyone, I know I'm in a tiny minority there. Hate them.

Much of Genesis, also.

Stereophonics.

Gabrielle.

DonkeyRods

I dont think much of the music i listen to is depressing in a 'sad tune' kind of way, I just find any beautiful tune pulls at the heart strings. So I find most decent ambient, and some IDM, depressing.

Arovane - Deauxville is my current depressing tune of choice.

I really question the morality of this thread.

although Five Years by David Bowie at every funeral; suicide, freak fork-lift truck accident or otherwise.

TJ

Lots of people cite Scott Walker's "Tilt" as the most depressing album ever made. Whereas, oddly, I personally find a lot of humour in it.

"Those over there are like... those over there".

fbb bastard

" do i hear 21......21.......21?".....tilt is glorious.....one of its tracks has one of the most unexpected changes into complete noise ever...nearly gave me a flipping heart attack first time i heard it....

one of the major cliches i know but on really bad days "the holy bible" REALLY does me in...also on good days i cant think of a more life affirming album...go figure

second vote for stereophonics too.....especially "mr writer"........and the attrocious "never been to me" by charlene too

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "TJ"...Scott Walker's "Tilt"... I personally find a lot of humour in it.
People have been wilfully misunderstanding Scott Walker for almost 40 years, so I suppose it's too late
for them to stop now, and I shouldn't imagine he much cares about it, either.
Tilt ? I don't think Masterpiece is too strong a word.
Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"I really question the morality of this thread.
[disclaimer] Hopefully (as it's you) there's a wink in there somewhere, and hopefully everyone knows what I really mean,
I'm not actually advocating suicide or owt.
To think I was also toying with calling it Songs for Swinging Suicides.

I just didn't want to call it Depressing Songs ll, that's all...[/disclaimer]

TJ

Quote from: "fbb bastard"" do i hear 21......21.......21?".....tilt is glorious.....one of its tracks has one of the most unexpected changes into complete noise ever...nearly gave me a flipping heart attack first time i heard it....

Let's see if we can recreate that in print:

"mumble mumble mumble IIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits A Beautifulll Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight Yeah, From Here To The Stars"...

Everybodys Talking by Nillson possibly more of a crematorium song

Sam

Pain of Salvation - Morning on Earth: http://www.painofsalvation.com/samples/morning.mp3

You won't find a more bleak song than Pain of Salvation's "A Trace of Blood" off the album "Remedy Lane". I sincerely suggest you download it. The emotion in the music is staggering. It deals with the miscarriage of the singer's wife. The lyrics (and vocal delivery) are heart wrenching:

Touching ground
Going home to those I miss
Safe and sound
Weeks of exile turn to bliss
But there's something in her voice
When she is calling me
A trace of blood to lead me
Through roads of agony
With blood taste in my mouth
And clouds before my eyes
I kneel beside the bed
Where my bleeding dryad lies
Three young souls in misery

Hitting ground
Nausea wakes me up at dawn
Hopes are found
Dissected, turned and then
Withdrawn
A chair of steel and wire
Her legs are open wide
Helpless in myself I stand there cold beside
The doctors stay away
Leave us with this dismay
To see the colors of a miracle
Fade and turn to gray
Then a cry and rivers of blood
Flow so sadly
Bringing you
Our dreams pour into a cold tray
Two young souls in misery
Missing You

I never knew your name but I will miss you just the same
I was to live for you I lost the will to live at all the day you came
It'll never be the same but I will love you just the same
You were there to be the first, how wonderful
Now I will always fear to hope again

The irony
Of seeing me whispering through her skin
So joyfully
To our child there deep within
Or of when she called to me
To tell me cheerfully
That she had seen your shape
On a hospital screen
And of nurses being concerned
That you never moved or turned
Too late we see the warnings
Too late we learn

I never saw your face and now you're gone without a trace
Except the trace of blood that's deeply scarred into my eyes
To fill your place
It'll never be the same but I will love you just the same
I was prepared to be your father
How can I ever prepare for that again?
Still I follow that trace of blood
Always leading back to you
Hollow years of damming that flood
Two young souls in misery
Missing you... missing you...

For a complete contrast download "This Heart of Mine" from the same album. It's one of the most happy and uplifting songs I've ever heard. It's a simple affirmation of his love for his wife. The music and lyrics are simple and poignant:

I lie awake watching your shoulders
Move so softly as you breathe
With every breath you're growing older
But that is fine if you're with me

I pledge to wake you with a smile
I pledge to hold you when you cry
I pledge to love you till I die
Till I die

The rays of dawn play on your eyelids
A sleeping beauty dressed in sun

I will wake you with a smile
I will hold you when you cry
I will love you till I die
Till I die
Till I die

I believe this heart of mine when it tells my eyes
That this is beauty
I believe this heart of mine when it tells my mind
That this is reason
I believe this heart of mine when it cries at time
That this is forever
I believe this heart of mine when it tells the skies
That this is the face of God

Another song from that album, called "Rope Ends" is about a young mother trying unsuccessfully to hang herself with a Winnie the Pooh tie while her children are asleep in the other room. Very, very intense.

Conclusion: Check out Pain of Salvation.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Sam"lyrics.

You fucking arsehole, you made me cry. Seriously, floods of tears.

Sam

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "Sam"lyrics.

You fucking arsehole, you made me cry. Seriously, floods of tears.

Are you serious or being sarcastic? Apologies, but I really can't tell.

If you really liked the lyrics, just listen to the music and be blown away.

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Marillion - Script for a Jesters Tear: "I'm losing on the swings, I'm losing on the roundabouts..." Couple that with Chelsea Monday, He Knows You Know, Forgotten Sons... Definite artery opening time.

Their "Fugazi" album has much the same effect in spots. "She Chameleon" especially.

I think some of Cohen's stuff is a little TOO far gone. Like "Everybody Knows". Great song, but it's almost parody.

I think Marillion's Brave album is one that can cause thoughts of a dark nature in one with melancohlic sensibilities. A wonderful piece of work though - absolute amazing album.

Marcus Or Relius

REM's Leave

It is a good song, one of the few that I like by them. I stumbled across it shortly after being dumped and, like a self-pitying git, listed to it whilst drunk and all boo-hoo-hooish.

4-stone-7 from The Holy Bible is another nomination, the concept of nothing-matters-at-all given a musical embodiment. Bloody miserable lot.

John Martyn's Grace and Danger  - if you have had a painful seperation, heartbreak has afflictecd you profoundly, that is the album to rub salt into your wombs.

it is an album that is designed to make one water down ones whisky with ones tears. And in a positive but negative way - positivilty speakingly like.

Song like Sweet little mystery, Hurt in yourhurt, Babbeeeeeee please come hoooooome!!!!!!

weekender

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Consider this a repeat of the Depressing Songs thread from the old boards.
Sorry whoever started that, but I got bored waiting for you to get it going again.

Hello, it was me, here's the old thread and my nominations are still valid:

http://chilled.cream.org/vw/viewtopic.php?t=20734

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings
John Carpenter - Assault on Precinct 13
Apollo 440 - Stealth Mass in F#M
Rose of Avalanche - Never Another Sunset
Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (part i)

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Tom Pynchon's Photo"
Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Marillion - Script for a Jesters Tear: "I'm losing on the swings, I'm losing on the roundabouts..." Couple that with Chelsea Monday, He Knows You Know, Forgotten Sons... Definite artery opening time.

I think Marillion's Brave album is one that can cause thoughts of a dark nature in one with melancohlic sensibilities. A wonderful piece of work though - absolute amazing album.

Sorry, when it came down to the 'rillion vs Fish, I was always firmly in the Fish camp. Hogarth is an arse. Brave probably is a good album, I just can't stomach Marillion without Fish.

Another Marillion song: Tux On.

To summarise: Heroin addict win at bingo and pools, buys guitar with winnings, gets famous, continues doing smack, dies, the end.

That was the song that got me into Marillion actually.

Cinderella Search is another suicide track too.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Lots of People"Marillion
Sorry, I always wonder this whenever anyone mentions Marillion, what is the song they played on the Old Grey Whistle Test where at the end Fish (I think) pretends to shoot himself in the mouth?
Yearly, I can't stand the Smiths either. If we're talking about good music to commit suicide to (not music so bad you want to commit suicide), I would probably say something by Joy Division, or the Odd REM song like Leave mentioned earlier.

Sam

Quote from: "Tom Pynchon's Photo"

"Brave" is a fantastic album. It's so sad and moody. I just love the way the album starts. When Hogarth comes in with "Looking out over the bridge" I get chills. Also, the song "Made Again" is brilliany. The first half is very depressing but the second half is incredibily uplifting.

One of my absolute favourite songs though has to be "Easter". The lyrics are beautiful and the guitar solo shows impeccable taste and melodicism.

TOCMFIC: You are doing yourself a great diservice by having a prejudice against post-Fish Marillion. Do yourself a favour and check out "Brave".

Silver SurferGhost

Turk Slipper, I remember that Marillion OGWT appearance too, but I can't remember which song it was either.
Doesn't seem right to say it would've been Kayleigh....was it He Knows You Know?
Quote from: "weekender"
Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"Consider this a repeat of the Depressing Songs thread from the old boards.
Ah right, proof I can't be arsed searching the archive.
Your original idea of a "suicide tape" was a really good one, let's incorporate it here.
So now you can have a song, an album, a list, a particular artist, whatever floats your proverbial.

j2k2

I actually still belive Mr Blooby is a song that is worth commiting suicide to.  I mean, depresses me, that everytime i act like that, and see myself as having pink and yellow skin, the rossers say it's illegal.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Sam"
TOCMFIC: You are doing yourself a great diservice by having a prejudice against post-Fish Marillion. Do yourself a favour and check out "Brave".

No. Because you didn't say please:)

Seriously, it's not prejudice... I DID try the first album after Fish left and it just left me bored. I have it on tape back in England somewhere.

Matthias

I've always found that The Smiths lift me and make me smile. Depressing lyrics set to joyous, happy tunes embroidered with the plinky guitar licks of Johnny Marr. I love them. In fact, the only Smiths song that I find depressing is Suffer Little Children.

As great as they were, The Doors depress me. I have all of their albums and was listening to them many many years before Oliver Stone's film and the subsequent fad of kiddies thinking they've discovered something brilliant in Jim Morrison. After that film, I listened to The Doors less... what is it about kids discovering you most-loved old bands that makes you want to slap them and say, "I was listening to that years ago while you were doing the backstroke in your father's balls you little shithead." You can't help it, even though you should be thankful that the child is listening to decent music for a change.

I also find REM painfully depressing.

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"
Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"I really question the morality of this thread.
[disclaimer] Hopefully (as it's you) there's a wink in there somewhere, and hopefully everyone knows what I really mean,
I'm not actually advocating suicide or owt.[/disclaimer]

Too late!  I've done it.  I've committed suicide to the above songs.  It's all over.  The track has ended and I'm in a bloody pool collapsed on the floor.

You're responsible.  you're all responsible.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Ronson"1. Put on Brian Eno's Music For Airports.

2. Take the pills

3. Lie down

4. Nighty night.

To quote Moe from The Simpsons, "That's a GREAT way to do it!"

Hart'sRules

Quote from: "weekender"

John Carpenter - Assault on Precinct 13
(part i)

For pure bleakness you've got to love John Carpenter. His reworking of Ennio Morricone's score for The Thing is pure dread on a disc and bound to be up there for a gloomy checkout.